·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold season started in Florida.
I did used my heated driver seat >:D
It stays hot (or gives hot) only for 5 minutes !!!! :(
Then after 5min it cold again.....
I found if I power buttn OFF and make it ON again after 10 min seat give heat for another 5 minutes!!!!!

I belive it is some there on a settings. Manual does not state how to change this settings.
Anybody has same problem with electricaly heated drivers seat ?
And how to fix this problem ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. I can't help.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone in Florida is using heated seats!
I do Rec-Diving a lot and in a winter time on my old Sprinter I did used +12volts electricaly-heated blanket (from RV shop) placed on a drivers seat.
Surly I covered over blanket a plastic for be able to seat with wet-dive-skins.
Worked really WELL , but removing and placing blanket was anoyng.
So I made and order with integrated, and IT new-seat does NOT work as I like>:D
Give me a TIME, I will fix it MY-WAY:eek: = It will (SALL) work without motor-running !!!!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah, that makes a lot more sense now.

An I agree, I think it is ridiculous that the heated seats turns themselves off after 5 minutes. I've had multiple card with heated seats and none of them had an automatic off feature.

Here's an idea that might work. Rewire the seat source directly to the battery, then replace the switch with a non electronic switch so that it doesn't get reset when the power goes off. You can use a rotary dial switch like this:

http://www.sunroofsetc.com/Heated Seat Switch - rotary.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine does not work that way! It stays on and roasts me until I turn it off. I wonder if you have a relay or something that is tripping.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2014 PM doesn't work like what uNik describes either. Mine will heat until I choose to turn it off. There is a push button switch on the left side of the seat base that when depressed, stays that way until it is pushed again. Upon starting the PM, if the seat heater was on previously, it will be on again. Living in Wisconsin, I tend to leave it on November through March. In our previous 2012 Ford Flex we had to turn on the seats manually every time the vehicle was started. In my wife's 2015 Dodge Durango, the driver's seat and steering wheel will resume heating when the vehicle is restarted if they were on during the previous run cycle. My thought is, either they changed the wiring for this on the newer model year, or uNik's is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine do not turn OFF-off, but they do cycle on-off. I'll notice the seat first being nice and warm, then it feels rather hot for awhile, then I think I'm getting used to it and feel OK. About the time I start thinking "its getting a bit cool in here" I feel the seat warming up again, and again proceeding to the 'hot' level, and back down.

I'm OK with it. Its a working cargo van, not a luxo-cruiser. I don't expect it to have thermostatic multilevel controls with different heat levels for each cheek.

I'm just glad it has them. Currently near Bryce Canyon, UT; forecast is for 20F tonight. They'll be used in the morning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zyzzyx , My yang brother/sister
I ordered my PM December2014, pickup at May 8,2015.
Just about a month before yours.

Folks THANK You ALL for describtion of a Heated-Seat !!!!

I will print this pages and will present it to a dealer for a warranty on my seat

·
Registered
174 Posts
Every car I have owned has had heated seats except for my PM. From what I remember, those seats would cycle heat on & off. I believe this is done to not overheat the coils in the seat and potentially cause a fire or completely roast your ass.

I plan to install aftermarket heated seats in my PM though, even us guys living in FL have cold days. If you have heated seats in FL then most of the times you dont even need your heat turned on.

For the people who have the factory heated seats, where are your on and off buttons located? Are they on the dash next to the door lock and emergency flasher?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For the people who have the factory heated seats, where are your on and off buttons located? Are they on the dash next to the door lock and emergency flasher?
Power switch located on a left side on a seat, near park brakes.
It has light on a button, what is ABSOLUTLY NOT in driver's view while driving. You can see this Light only when drivers door is open :laugh:

Andrew Crane; on my old Sprinter, I did used electricaly heated blanket +12v DC from RV shop it cost me only 25 USD, it plugs into cigaret lighter

·
Registered
174 Posts
Power switch located on a left side on a seat, near park brakes.
It has light on a button, what is ABSOLUTLY NOT in driver's view while driving. You can see this Light only when drivers door is open :laugh:

Andrew Crane; on my old Sprinter, I did used electricaly heated blanket +12v DC from RV shop it cost me only 25 USD, it plugs into cigaret lighter
I will buy one of those blankets for my bed in the back. I put a 12volt and USB outlet in the back so items like that can be connected. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like the heated seat option for the ProMaster isn't worth it. I wondered about the location of the switch when I saw it in a photo.

I've installed heated seats myself in the last 5 or 6 cars I have owned. They did not cycle on and off, they stayed at whatever temp setting I set them to. Some had Hi/Lo switches, some had a Hi/Med/Lo switch and one had a 5 position dial switch.

I've gotten several kits from Check Corp (http://www.checkcorp.com) but they don't yet have a listing for the ProMaster. They do have a section for vehicles not listed, where you can provide them with measurements of the seat and seat back, detailing seams, sew lines, etc. and they can provide a set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We just started using our heated seats now that winter is here. They do seem to have a cycle, but certainly not 5 minutes. I assumed they had a max-temp cycle, reaching max, then shutting down for a while. They do not cycle enough to allow the seat to cool off. I'll try to pay more attention next time we've got a longer cold weather drive and report back.

We ended up with the vinyl seats in the van we purchased, so when it's below zero you really appreciate that warm seat when you get in, instead of ice cold vinyl.

I like them but wish the heat was also in the back of the seat as well as the bottom, for my lower back, which appreciates the heat these days....

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like them but wish the heat was also in the back of the seat as well as the bottom, for my lower back, ....

Wait… It's just the lower cushion? Every car I have ever driven with heated seats has been the seat base and lower seat back that was heated.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My lower back certainly feels warm with it turned on. Was out for a few hours drive today in 20F weather, getting in/out doing photography, was nice to get back to a warm seat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine heats about 2/3 of the way up the seat back. If yours only heats the bottom, it isn't working right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll have to check to see if the heat is in the back as well for sure. Perhaps my coat insulates the heat on my back so that I haven't yet noticed it. We have not tried them for a longer drive, and we rarely get the chance to take our coats off in the van when we're doing service calls.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Folks It was cold in Florida, but any-way seat heat is cycle for 5 min ON and then about 10 min of. On a days of January 2016 I got driven by friends Nisan car with leather seats and heating seats option. It gives heat (on Nisan) constantly !!!!
If I go back again, I will NEVER ORDER this option !!!!!
On my old Sprinter van I did use electricaly-heated blanket for 20$ from RV shop

Reactions: pickles
1 - 19 of 19 Posts