Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I started feeling a strange shimmy when I applied the brakes going down some curvy hills and thought maybe my rotors were bad (they put new pads on to stop the squealing brakes a few thousand miles ago.....didn't touch the rotors....don't worry, they'll be fine, they said). Also, at about the same time, I started to hear a strange whine from under the hood especially when I would start the van in the morning.

Decided to check the power steering fluid. Nothing on the stick. I bought a liter and had to add 3/4 of it.

Does anyone know if there is damage to the pump by running so low on fluid?

I've got 15,000 miles on this thing. I had the oil changed recently at about 12,000. Apparently they didn't check the power steering fluid level....unless it all leaked out in the last 300 miles. Bummer.

So, what I wanted to say is.....Check your power steering fluid level.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
The low fluid explains the whine on startup. But the shimmy? What is your take on that and has it gone away? I'd be surprised if it's gone. Pump damage should depend on how long it was low and if there was any residual in the pump. Since it was steering sort of normal I'd guess there was some fluid to lubricate the bearings and seals in the pump. Time will tell. Lastly where is it going? Slide a piece of cardboard under the van tonight as soon as you stop. Look in the morning. If little or none slide it back under and start the van let it warm for a minute and turn the wheel to see if it leaks during turning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, RD.

I will do the cardboard test this weekend.

I'm amazed at how low the level was and I could kick myself for taking so long to address the problem.

When I drive it today I plan on paying attention to the shimmy issue and see if it has lessened.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently developed a shimmy when breaking. i dont feel it in my foot but the steering wheel shakes and it either wants to go left or right when you loosen up your hands, also noticed alot of drifting back and forth on the highway.. I also am getting a secondary thumping noise from the drivers front strut area when rolling over a speed bump or such. Going to try to get in to be looked at asap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts