Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody change a headlight bulb yet? They have a push button release instead of push and turn as manual suggests. Got bulb out but can't get new in. Search online shows people having problems with getting to lockin correctly. Light assembly very difficult to line up. Some people taking to dealership for bulb instillation. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did mine a while ago and had a tough time as well. Unfortunately I don't have much of a tip other then patience. Do one at a time and take your time. They'll go back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have changed 3 headlights at 27000 miles
It is very hard to change the bulbs without taking the whole headlight assemble off.
with the hood open above the headlight you see a plastic panel that has 2 thum screws, remove them and pull up on the panel ( be careful not to break it). the plastic panel below the light has to be removed also.
When you have both off you will see 3 blots that hold the assembly in place , remove them, pull out and disconnect the wiring (1 Plug). Then you have access to the bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have changed 3 headlights at 27000 miles
It is very hard to change the bulbs without taking the whole headlight assemble off.
with the hood open above the headlight you see a plastic panel that has 2 thum screws, remove them and pull up on the panel ( be careful not to break it). the plastic panel below the light has to be removed also.
When you have both off you will see 3 blots that hold the assembly in place , remove them, pull out and disconnect the wiring (1 Plug). Then you have access to the bulbs.
how about the cree h-4 led which should last forever?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speaking of headlights, the other day I used my DA polisher on my headlight covers and some medium compound. They look brand new now! Every little bit helps to make your lights bright.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HID's Installation

I originally posted this in the "What did you do to your promaster today" So I will modify the post to specify the HID Installation issue.

And here's how the story goes; One of my head lamps burnt out and I decided to order a set of HID's from HIDExtra.com (55 watt, 6k PRO-CANBUS Series. SKU: 5BU1-H7-6) to replace both headlamps. I was hoping to get a little bit better lighting and longevity from the bulb. I went ahead and ordered the H11 LED's for the Fog lamps as well from the same company (H11-PLASMA-WHITE).
:eek: So after the Goods arrive! After getting the headlamp assemblies remove, (see link to video below)
to my dismay, I discovered the H7 connector/ bulb retainer, was not the normal metal spring clip and separate electrical connector you would find on a US style H7 housing. On the PM the headlamp connectors and bulb retainers are combined and will not hold an HID aftermarket bulb that doesn't have normal bulb connectors on it. Arrgg! So I stared down the culprit, and decided I was going to make this work! After several hours, I ended up fabricating a bulb retention clip for one side, and then had to re-produce a duplicate for the other side! I'm not gonna do it again.! hopefully someone can scan and use a 3D printer to reproduce this thing for aftermarket HID application for the PM. I contacted the HID seller and let them know the PM issue with the bulb retainer and advised them to post a disclaimer about the HID's not being able to be retained in the housing without modification or temporary adhesion.

Anyway, the HID endeavor was finally a success for me. The HID Ballast and capacitor will fit inside the massive headlight housing. So even the Dealer will not notice the difference (wires and accessories hanging around under the hood) if it ever needs service. The LED fog lamp connectors are standard to the plug on the PM and they installed easily without a problem, and are good to go. If your thinking about HID's you need to look at the pictures I've posted to give you and idea of what path you may want to take. It's not for the faint of heart, but not totally impossible.;)

Here's my video take on How to remove the head lamp assembly on the PM: https://youtu.be/wQPGb9xxg_Y Hope it helps out a little.

Any questions [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
how about the cree h-4 led which should last forever?
Just a friendly reminder, to keep in mind how to retain and wire the aftermarket Led, HID bulb assemblies? The OE retention clip houses the plugs and wiring as well, and will not accommodate HID's or certain LED's. Take some time to Remove and work bench your headlight assembly, remove the OE bulb, and really look at the situation/configuration of the clip vs wiring. Mine is 2014, maybe it's different for newer models. I was willing to attempt my modifications at the risk or probability of having to buy another set of Headlight assemblies. "So far, good to go"!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did it, Biggest tip that seems counter intuitive is to place the bare bulb into the housing first then press the harness onto bulb and headlight assembly at same time.
I tried this and having the bulb in the socket for over an hour and just couldn't not get it in. Stopped at a dealer in Panama City and 15 minutes and $65 dollars later it was done using the bulb I had already bought.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After many headlite bulb changes I just put last one in with duct tape over back. Clip broke, rail cracked, etc. So far so good.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I changed out my drivers side low beam about a month ago 'on the bench'. After dicking with it for a while, I had it seated and tight.
It looked correct and was solid with no flopping around.
Re-installed the bucket and now its pionting higher than the right side.
Too cold now for me to play with it now, UNLESS, I know what to do different. which I dont

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
how did you connect the old wires to the new?

all of these LED and HID conversions seem to be custom diy projects. i am totally down for the attempt just need a little more information.
how do the LED lights with the 2 prong wall plug in looking connectors work?
what is the biggest difference in LED and HID?
how does it all hold up in this cold AF weather?

please help need rollin on one light and if im going to replace it i might as well upgrade i have already spent the time y'all know it takes to just replace the factory bulb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts