Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday night on the way home from a jobsite, my promaster blew a low beam..bright flash..I thought someone was taking a picture..lol

well the other low beam soon went out as well..
now driving home in the dark high beams only wasn't fun... The headlight dash board symbol said the headlight were on..
Saturday morn emergency trip to the dealer 45mins away..he was nice enough to take me in..found that both lowbeam fuses blow, both low beams bulbs blown, and something to do with a relay or control module fault... he replaced both bulbs, fuses and what ever to get me roadworthy..
I was going to try to go to NAPA and just buy new bulbs.. but was informed they wouldn't have worked anyway with out the relay and fuses..

what a lousy design..no explanation of failure

anyone else experience this ? if it happened once, it may happen again

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Perplexing. Sort of like you got hit by lightning or a high voltage transient occurred. Relays are normally really tough. Fuses don’t blow unless the current is exceeded. Something odd happened. If others have seen this we need more information to understand how this could happen. I doubt it is lousy design except for the difficulty of changing the bulbs, which is a nuisance. It seems odd there are fuses in the lights anyway, they didn’t used to fuse them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have not had any issues with my headlights and it's a 2014. I did replace the running light on the passenger side once. I read somewhere that the life expectancy of the headlights is around 85-100 hours. If you are using the headlights as daytime running lights (it's an option in the setup menu) then you will be replacing headlights a lot. You definitely had a problem with your electrical system as the fuses blew as well as the lights. I doubt your relays needed replacing as the fuse should have protected them. Let us know if you find anything else out, I would like to know what happened. KilWerBzz, if you know where to find that TSB please post it. I couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've had my 14 over two years now. Haven't blown a low beam yet, thankfully. Seems to be a common issue here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went through several low beams on my 14. I used them day and night. H7 bulbs have a short life. I never experienced a surge of power like yours did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the electrical gremlins are entering my promaster 1500...
headlights working great again so far... but the CD player just stopped...I had stop stop at a job site for a while, and when restarted...the CD player went back to working again..

oh oh....winters coming too... I'll keep everyone posted

I will keep a pair of H7s in the glove box

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Ram Promaster City has blown driver side low beam roughly every 30k miles. I've only been driving it since December and just blew the third headlight at 94k miles

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the fleet of promasters I maintain I’ve seen lots of issues. This is one i haven’t seen before. I replace headlights almost every day.

A big reason why they blow is the heat inside the headlight assembly. All of our drivers tend to leave the headlights on day and night. That really shortens the life expectancy.

Has anyone tried putting in an LED h7 bulb?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,378 Posts
There is a TSB out 08-106-17 2017-11-01 2014-2017 VF Premature Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Failure.
The new replacement part # is L0000H7SLL Super Long Life Headlamp Bulb - H7SLL, this would be for all model years but look for it under 2018 model year as the books aren't updated yet. Rock auto list's it under the 2018 model year, as a mopar part, but not the other years.

With the fleet of promasters I maintain I’ve seen lots of issues. This is one i haven’t seen before. I replace headlights almost every day.

A big reason why they blow is the heat inside the headlight assembly. All of our drivers tend to leave the headlights on day and night. That really shortens the life expectancy.

Has anyone tried putting in an LED h7 bulb?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is old but is anyone aware if original post would have been the relay OR control module? My fuses and bulbs good

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is old but is anyone aware if original post would have been the relay OR control module? My fuses and bulbs good
I have the same thing, my bulb is fine, haven't checked the fuse, but read elsewhere that both sides would not work, but maybe that is not the case. Really feel like these Dodge's are lemons.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I have to replace my bulbs pretty frequently but we do run them day and night. I thought it was a design problem but if the 80 to 100 hour comment above is correct then they may be working fine. They are a pain to replace though but I am getting pretty good at it by now. I haven't had issues with my fuses blowing, but somehow my fuse holder for my front left headlight got messed up and sometimes the fuse wiggles loose. Unfortunately I think it was something I did, not Dodge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts