Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note. After only 5 years, FCA recognized out bulbs were blowing, put out a TSB, and spec’d a new bulb called an H7LL (long life). After 4 months of use in 3 vans, I havent blown a bulb yet.
RockAuto has them for cheap. Just buy all 4 and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Thanks, Kip. Do you have a link to a bulb you are happy with?

I've been thinking of upgrading to LED bulbs for the reliability issue. I don't want to be on a road trip, perhaps in a remote situation, and find myself with a headlight out.

Others here have raved about the extra light from LED bulbs, but in all honesty, I haven't felt my PM's lights were excessively dim. I've had cars with bi-xenon HID lights, excellent light sure. But maybe because the PM's lights are so high up or maybe the reflector optics are good, but I'm fine with the stock bulbs.

I try not to drive at night (I'd miss interesting things) and if I do, I don't speed. That might have something to do with it.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
MY 2014 originals are still lighting the way. Now that I have said it, they will blow soon i'm sure, but it would be time. The first year I had the van I lived on boulders and pits road so it had a bouncy life in the beginning. I think there's more to it than the bulb, that's a cheap cover up.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont expect them to last forever, just longer than the 3 weeks they were previously lasting. Before this, the only tools we carried in the vans was a breaker bar for tire changes, and a 10mm nutdriver for headlight removal.
Tip: you can always swap the high beam bulbs into the low beam position in the field with the afformentioned nutdriver.
If this link doesnt work, it’s from Rockauto.com. Hella H7LL $2.81 each.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Another tip don't handle the bulb without gloves keep the oils off the bulb. Some bulbs will form hot spots were you touch and may cause burn out. I can't prove it but that has been said.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I dont expect them to last forever, just longer than the 3 weeks they were previously lasting. Before this, the only tools we carried in the vans was a breaker bar for tire changes, and a 10mm nutdriver for headlight removal.
Tip: you can always swap the high beam bulbs into the low beam position in the field with the afformentioned nutdriver.
If this link doesnt work, it’s from Rockauto.com. Hella H7LL $2.81 each.
Yes, I saw those on a big online store for less than $6 CAD, which I think is a great price for a headlight bulb. (Compared to the price of various xenon bulbs, $6 CAD is negligible.)

If you think there's no degradation compared to the stock bulbs, I'll pick up a pair. Thanks also, @Kip-on-truckin, for the note that the highbeam bulbs are the same. They could be an emergency bulb in a pinch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bulbs on my 2017 136 HR would constantly burn out partially because I like to keep them on all the time. Mine didnt have daytime running lights. I bought LEDs from superbrightleds.com . H7s are $69 for a pair. I simply glued them in with standard silicone. Take a flat screwdriver and scratch off the chrome where the light will glue into the socket. Let it dry overnight. They lasted about 50k miles being on all the time. One stopped working and superbrightled sent me a new pair for free. Just info if anyone wants it.

I just bought a 20 this week and I am debating on just swapping them before one burns out. I got used to the whiter light from the leds.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$69 for a pair is pretty darn cheap. Hard to argue if you only have to deal with them once.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Excuse my ignorance - wife writing. Hubby would like LEDS but declined due to the installation. I'd love to surprise him with a set. Do these replace the standard bulbs perfectly or do you still have to do the hokey pokey to get them to fit? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another tip don't handle the bulb without gloves keep the oils off the bulb. Some bulbs will form hot spots were you touch and may cause burn out. I can't prove it but that has been said.
This is absolutely a thing. At a theater I (pre-corona) work at, we've got six followspots with 3,000W xenon lamps. They're about $900 per lamp. Body oils or dust turn those lamps pressurized to 30 Atmospheres into grenades.
As habit, any tungsten-halogen lamp with an exposed quartz envelope should get a good wipedown with an alcohol wipe after you get the plug mated.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Reactions: RDinNHandAZ
1 - 14 of 14 Posts