Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to find any info on aiming the headlights. When I changed bulbs a couple months back, the aiming is not ideal. Rather than just fiddling with it blindly, I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Kip,

It seems like headlight aiming is one of those items that didn't make it from the Ducato to the Promaster.

If you had a Ducato, you would just push the buttons on the dash to adjust up and down. Sounds like a good idea. It was designed to change headlight aiming depending on load weight.

Then again, some of the posts I read suggested issues with leaking hydraulics that worked the system.

Sorry, no help... (talk about a useless reply >:D)

Ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kip,

It seems like headlight aiming is one of those items that didn't make it from the Ducato to the Promaster.

If you had a Ducato, you would just push the buttons on the dash to adjust up and down. Sounds like a good idea. It was designed to change headlight aiming depending on load weight.

Then again, some of the posts I read suggested issues with leaking hydraulics that worked the system.

Sorry, no help... (talk about a useless reply >:D)

Ed
This utube shows the adjustment, Not something you could figure out easily! What I have been unable to find are the measurements for the headlight alignment. I suppose the beams should be the same distance apart as the bulbs but the vertical alignment is more of a problem. Any suggestions?

·
Read Only
309 Posts
You would need to pop off the bottom plastic trim under the headlights. The bottom headlight assembly mounting bolt has an adjuster. I haven't fiddled with mine, but I imagine you need to loosen the lower mounting bolt and turn the knurled nut behind it. I use a garage door to aim my lights. I think about 20-30' distance. Driver side beam should be just a tad lower than the passenger side to avoid blinding on coming traffic. Just be careful popping of the lower plastic. Look up YouTube videos on headlight bulb replacement to see how to reach under the headlight to push the back clip off.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thumbscrew thingy at the front adjust them side to side. The vertical adjustment is an allen bolt, accessed strait down from the top through a round hole. There is an indicator wheel on there to tell you where they are set, but I just eyeball it.

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
I screwed mine up when I removed my second leaf spring and stupidly thought the wheel on the bottom under the plastic was the adjuster. AAAGGGGGGGHHHHH ONLY change the allen bolt from directly above. I may never get mine right! In my defense there were no youtoob videos at that time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used a YouTube video on adjusting headlights and used a 4x6 board with tape to mark the height of both headlights from level ground. I then measured the distance (20 or 25'?) in front of the van and turned on the headlights. I moved the marked board the distance above and then adjusted the top screw to move the beam to just below the marked taped. I did this for both sides as my motorhome had weighted down the rear springs and I was shinning my lights into oncoming traffic. No more problems of high beams.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
747 Posts
Here's a copy'n paste of a 15 Jan 2018 thread response post I put up...

From reading the FCA headlight alignment procedures, apologies in advance if I remembered wrong...

Pattern screen distance: 25-feet.

There is an round 'optical center mark' on the headlight lens plastic whose height from floor is transferred to the 25-foot screen.

By my understanding of the very vague procedure the modern computer designed reflector should throw a clear horizontal cut-off line, bright below and dark above; at 25-feet the dark cut-off should be on that optical center mark height measure that is twenty-five feet from the lenses. Cardboard blocks one or other headlight as necessary while doing that.

Quote: "Horizontal adjustment, adjust as needed". High tech that, as needed! Common practice IIRC the left should only show lane marker lines and not intrude on oncoming lane too much, right lamp does illuminate shoulder 'some'.

Fog Lamps: Project 100 millimeters (4 inches) below the fog lamp centerline and straight ahead of the lamp at a distance of 10 meters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used a YouTube video on adjusting headlights and used a 4x6 board with tape to mark the height of both headlights from level ground. I then measured the distance (20 or 25'?) in front of the van and turned on the headlights. I moved the marked board the distance above and then adjusted the top screw to move the beam to just below the marked taped. I did this for both sides as my motorhome had weighted down the rear springs and I was shinning my lights into oncoming traffic. No more problems of high beams.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
The video I posted showed the bottom mounting bolt as the horizontal adjustment. Not so on my 2015 3500. It is the top mounting bolt that has an oversized hole. Very high tech!. I pushed on the face of the headlight assembly, after loosening the bolt, to see how much movement there was and the tab holding the bolt to the unit broke off. Cheesy build!. My headlights are so diffused I couldn't find a 'hotspot'. the bulbs are new so I don't know what my problem is, aside from a broken headlight unit.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
Mine is a 2019 with the lower mounting bolt doubling up as an adjuster. Easy peasy. I re-aimed my headlights to where they shine so much better yet stay just a hair below the average sedan's trunk line in front of me. When I got the van I had to keep checking to make sure the lights were on. It was dismal at best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts