Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the secondary leaf spring from the back of my '15 PM, and have since added some weight inside. Headlamps are now pointed high enough that I get 'flashed' by oncoming drivers with some regularity, even when I'm on low beams.

Thus, I need to change the angle of my headlights -- bring them down a bit.

I googled "Promaster headlamp adjustment" and got this video:

After showing you how to access the adjuster, at ~2:45 he shows how to use a T15 to make the actual up/down adjustment.

So I'm at this stage. I have the T15 in there, and no matter how much or which direction I turn the screw, I can see zero effect to the headlamp angle.

Anyone see anything wrong with the video -- some step I might be missing or misconstruing?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,488 Posts
I didnt watch the vidio. Remove the cover above the headlights look for the white washer/suction cup thingy and put a witness mark on it first thing. Two tools will work a Torx or a HEX key. The Torx is on the bottom of the 6mm HEX socket. My Torx would not fit without breaking the plastic ring. My long shanked 6mm HEX key worked.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt watch the vidio. Remove the cover above the headlights look for the white washer/suction cup thingy and put a witness mark on it first thing. Two tools will work a Torx or a HEX key. The Torx is on the bottom of the 6mm HEX socket. My Torx would not fit without breaking the plastic ring. My long shanked 6mm HEX key worked.
A Torx T15 fits perfectly into the spot he calls out. 6mm is way too big, not to mention the wrong shape.

Suction cup? Plastic ring? Neither of these ring any bells for me, based on what I've seen in there so far, so I'm hoping you'll clarify.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
At 5:00 he said used a 10mm for the vertical adjustment side to side. Not sure he understands vertical vs horizontal.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A Torx T15 fits perfectly into the spot he calls out. 6mm is way too big, not to mention the wrong shape.

Suction cup? Plastic ring? Neither of these ring any bells for me, based on what I've seen in there so far, so I'm hoping you'll clarify.
My mm size is from memory so might not be correct. This is from a 2014 Diesel

6MM HEX KEY
HEADLIGHT AJUST VERT.jpg

The thumb screw behind the 10mm? bolt follow instructions on how to remove lower panel parts will break if not done correctly.
HEADLIGHT AJUST HOZ.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The pictures from the previous post were taken with headlight removed for clarity. The horizontal adjustment bolt does not have to be removed just loosened so the thumb screw can be turned in or out. If you ever remove the headlight housing put a witness mark on the thumb screw it turns easy and could be accidently moved.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback.

As it turns out, the instructions in the video were spot on. The T15 tool was spot on. What wasn't spot on was my expectation that I'd be able to see these incremental changes happening (by watching the bulb/reflector for relative movement) *in broad daylight*.

I have time to wrench and fiddle during the day, so that's when I was trying to get this done.

Stopped on my way home tonight and did the adjustments in the dark, with the headlights pointing across a level spot and into a ~level hillside. Worked just exactly the way the video said it would.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
One tip I can give is to futz around with the height adjustment while the headlight assembly is out. At least that way you can verify that it's working. On one of my PM, the mechanism works but it's flakey. Overall though, adjusting the headlights on the PM is far more complicated than it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I am trying to do the adjustment as well after removing the secondary leaf. In the video mentioned above the verticle adjustment is done from above. I can do that BUT in the notes following the video on UTube there is a comment that the top adjuster ONLY does the low beam and to do the entire light set to use another adjuster below the light, where the video says its the “horizontal” (he must of meant verticle?) Does the top adjustment only do the low beam?
Where exactly is the adjustment for the entire light set to lower it???

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am trying to do the adjustment as well after removing the secondary leaf. In the video mentioned above the verticle adjustment is done from above. I can do that BUT in the notes following the video on UTube there is a comment that the top adjuster ONLY does the low beam and to do the entire light set to use another adjuster below the light, where the video says its the “horizontal” (he must of meant verticle?) Does the top adjustment only do the low beam?
Where exactly is the adjustment for the entire light set to lower it???
Did you ever figure this out RD?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I did. As far as I can see the adjuster at the top is only adjusting the low beam. Perhaps Kip can confirm this or set me straight. Do not even think of adjusting the bottom as it does adjust the horizontal and if you have raised or lowered the vans front or back only the upper should be changed. I sat the van about 40 feet from a white building on a level pavement and adjusted the low beams until they dropped down a bit from the height of the headlights. Drove and returned several times until I had the sweet spot, high enough on low beam to see ahead but low enough to not blind oncoming drivers. High beam is still aimed way down the road.
As for mucking with the lower adjustments I did but I wish I hadn’t as fixing them took much longer.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The hex bolt adjusts only the low beam height, and the front double screw thingy adjusts the height of both the high and low beam. There is no adjustment for horizontal...and why would there be? When would you want the lights not pointing straight ahead?

I have fantasies of buying two spare headlight buckets and reworking the whole thing, with different and more accessible bulbs and aiming. It's nitpicky, but headlights are a weak point on the Promaster. They work, but I'm constantly fiddling with them.

Reactions: Josh Cissell

·
Registered
734 Posts
The hex bolt adjusts only the low beam height, and the front double screw thingy adjusts the height of both the high and low beam. There is no adjustment for horizontal...and why would there be? When would you want the lights not pointing straight ahead?

I have fantasies of buying two spare headlight buckets and reworking the whole thing, with different and more accessible bulbs and aiming. It's nitpicky, but headlights are a weak point on the Promaster. They work, but I'm constantly fiddling with them.
I adjusted the top hex last night. I'm almost positive it moved my high beam as well? I think only the high beam on the passenger side moved. I'll have to spend more time adjusting them and report back.

Without adjustment, my low beams are pointing into the trees and do almost nothing for the road. The high breams were perfect though.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Kip,
I have to respectfully disagree on the bottom horizontal adjustment as it is real. I screwed with mine and got the left light pointed at the trees on the left side of the road and re-screwed with it until it pointed straight. I’d send pictures of the mechanism but after breaking a tab off that plastic trim on the bottom I hate to pull it off again. Its a bolt with an 8 or 10mm head and when loosened a ring can be threaded along it so that when it is retightened the light is moved right or left. It is a terrible design that is illogical and has no straightforward way to go right or left by just turning a screw or bolt.

I would welcome your added thoughts, and like you, I felt I could do it better but left bad enough alone.
RD

·
Registered
734 Posts
So now I'm going to complicate matters. I have to disagree with both of you. OR my headlights are different. There is only one place on each light to adjust the lights and it is the top one. The screw the guy in the YouTube video points to at the bottom is nothing more than a 10mm(I think) bolt to hold the headlamp in. It's one of two on the bottom and there is a third on the top. Remove them and the light comes out.

I removed the headlight and looked all around. No other place to adjust the lights. Please enlighten me because it would be nice to adjust the low beams by themselves. In order to get the low beams low enough to do any good, the high beams are now pointing at the ground about 1 car length in front of the van. Here are a couple of pics

The first is the low beams, second high beams

·
Registered
734 Posts

When you say the hex bolt adjustment are you talking about the thing on the top of the light where you have to put the hex or star wrench through the hole? If so, on mine it moves both.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
OK I thought it was only the low beam. On the bottom, the more central of the two bolts has an adjuster that threads in or out behind the headlight mounting flange. Look for it when that bottom bolt is removed. Adjusting that will move the light out towards the side of the road or in towards the other lane. IF it hasn’t been changed since my 2015. (don’t mess with it as it is a bear to get back right!)
The top hex adjustment is through the white funnel shaped plastic thing and does verticle, CCW for down IIRC. Torx may work but it is actually hex- ?5mm??

/

·
Registered
734 Posts
OK I thought it was only the low beam. On the bottom, the more central of the two bolts has an adjuster that threads in or out behind the headlight mounting flange. Look for it when that bottom bolt is removed. Adjusting that will move the light out towards the side of the road or in towards the other lane. IF it hasn’t been changed since my 2015. (don’t mess with it as it is a bear to get back right!)
The top hex adjustment is through the white funnel shaped plastic thing and does verticle, CCW for down IIRC. Torx may work but it is actually hex- ?5mm??

/
It is hex and torx.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
How to aim headlights

Put a witness mark on the adjustment screws, before you begin your adjustments. I believe I said that in post #6 . Everything should be level, parallel and at 90°. Park the van on a level surface 25' from a wall that is 90° to the level surface. Mark a parallel line along both sides of the van to the wall. Find the optical center of the the light you want to aim, this goes for fog lights too, and measure down to the level surface and to the parallel line and transfer to the wall with tape. Measure from the optical center of the light to the parallel line and transfer to the wall with tape . You should have two crosses on the wall one for each light. Cover one light, turn the low headlights on, the center bright spot on the wall should be at or just below the horizontal line. Tires should be at proper psi full tank of fuel loaded with your kit,bed and bath or what you always carry. Rock the van side to side 3 times front to back.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Put a witness mark on the adjustment screws, before you begin your adjustments. I believe I said that in post #6 . Everything should be level, parallel and at 90°. Park the van on a level surface 25' from a wall that is 90° to the level surface. Mark a parallel line along both sides of the van to the wall. Find the optical center of the the light you want to aim, this goes for fog lights too, and measure down to the level surface and to the parallel line and transfer to the wall with tape. Measure from the optical center of the light to the parallel line and transfer to the wall with tape . You should have two crosses on the wall one for each light. Cover one light, turn the low headlights on, the center bright spot on the wall should be at or just below the horizontal line. Tires should be at proper psi full tank of fuel loaded with your kit,bed and bath or what you always carry. Rock the van side to side 3 times front to back.

My problem isn't that I can't aim the lights where I want them. All I have to do is park a few feet from my white garage door. It's way easier that what you describe. The problem is the adjustment screw on top moves the hi and low beams. If my high beam is correct, the lows are in the trees. If my low beam is correct the high is what you see in the picture.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts