Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my PM now for 3000 miles. One of the things I was wondering about when I first saw one is the position of the head lights, they are mounted high. From behind the wheel they work great. But, if you are the poor guy I come up behind at a traffic light, or otherwise dark road and your in a car, chances are your not to impressed with how well my lights work. The location of the head lights causes them to light up the whole inside of the car in front of me. I have had people think that my high beams are on and get behind me and turn theirs on to "see how I like it". I have had other drivers at lights that try to block their rear view mirror to keep from being blinded. If nothing else it makes me feel like a jerk. My old sprinter had adjustable head lights that allowed the driver to aim them lower or higher, depending on the load or other driving conditions. I think this is something Ram should look into, and do it soon.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
It did happen to me a few times, not much to do but put the high beams on for a second to say to the car in front "Excuse me, it's not my fault".

But I am not sure it is any worst than some lights on some iported high end cars.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I recently visited a dealer to order a bank of switches that are located just to the left of the steering wheel.

The dealer listed a different switch with the usual dimmer and three others. One had an image of a headlight, and two extra switches with an up and down image printed on them.
We couldn't figured out what the switches were for but now that I read your post it appears that it may be possible that our vans may come with adjustable headlights in the future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently visited a dealer to order a bank of switches that are located just to the left of the steering wheel.

The dealer listed a different switch with the usual dimmer and three others. One had an image of a headlight, and two extra switches with an up and down image printed on them.
We couldn't figured out what the switches were for but now that I read your post it appears that it may be possible that our vans may come with adjustable headlights in the future.
I had a car with Xenon headlights - it had this same type of switch, which allowed for adjustment of the direction of the beams up or down, depending on how much weight was in the car. It may be that these type of headlights will be available sometime? If so, they would require adjustment if the van is loaded, so that the headlights shine on the road and not towards the horizon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
the downside to this is now every idiot driving in a civic, corolla, etc drives with their high beams on blinding everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
re: I think every Ford p/u truck in the last 20 years is like this, high headlights.

I drive a 1995 Ford F150 and have noticed people in cars ahead of me doing the same things. When stopped like at a traffic light I will shut off my headlights leaving on the parking lights until we move.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re: I think every Ford p/u truck in the last 20 years is like this, high headlights.

I drive a 1995 Ford F150 and have noticed people in cars ahead of me doing the same things. When stopped like at a traffic light I will shut off my headlights leaving on the parking lights until we move.

Greg Hayden
I have turned off my headlights too, but the bad thing about a PM is it doesn't have parking lights. I have the optional driving lights, if I just put them on, then the rest of the lights ( parking lights) come on.
I don't know why the people who design these vehicles didn't see this problem. When I first saw a PM, I thought it could be a problem and after driving one for a month, it is. I would like to hear from some Ducato owners. Do their headlights have driver controlled adjustments? May be its like that outside armrest, they didn't think we needed it here in the U.S.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Ducato has driver controlled adjustment as standard, but we have different rules about the lights.
For example the xenon lights have to be automatically controlled in height...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts