Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read quite a few insulation post on the forum and none speak to Havelock wool. Has anyone used it??? Is it worth the money over ridge foam. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I don't want to get caught up in another insulation debate. There's probably been 3-4 major discussions on it since I joined and who knows how many over the previous years.
I would do a search for insulation and read through all the discussions.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
To put it simply, people have many reasons, ideas and theories on why to use different types of insulation.
From a technical standpoint, you're not going to get better performance than polyisocyanurate.
Unless you are going to build a refrigerated cargo area that is 4" of spray foam and a sealed inner plastic shell.

·
Registered
702 Posts
To put it simply, people have many reasons, ideas and theories on why to use different types of insulation.
From a technical standpoint, you're not going to get better performance than polyisocyanurate.
Unless you are going to build a refrigerated cargo area that is 4" of spray foam and a sealed inner plastic shell.
Unless you use aerogel!

Agree with @RnR tons of info on the forum already, just read the long thread on this where @GaryBIS goes thru the math. Your final decision will depend on your religion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to get caught up in another insulation debate. There's probably been 3-4 major discussions on it since I joined and who knows how many over the previous years.
I would do a search for insulation and read through all the discussions.
I apologize, I did run a search for comments on this product and didn't find anything. So sorry if I should not have asked this question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you use aerogel!

Agree with @RnR tons of info on the forum already, just read the long thread on this where @GaryBIS goes thru the math. Your final decision will depend on your religion.
Thanks for your reply. It seems that I poked a hornets nest, unintentional. I am in Michigan and it get really cold here. Again so sorry I asked this question and upset anyone.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
112 Posts
I apologize, I did run a search for comments on this product and didn't find anything. So sorry if I should not have asked this question.
I agree, nothing to apologize for.
If you type Havelock in the search bar on top, tons of threads will pop up.

·
Super Moderator
8,635 Posts
And if it gets really cold you can always knit a sweater out of it (if you’re a really fast knitter);)

·
Registered
581 Posts
A fellow PM owner in my area recently used wool to insulate his van but bought rolls of batting instead of the loose fill. He chose it thinking it would be less likely to settle and leave the upper areas un-insulated. First he had trouble cutting the extremely dense, thick bats, then it was difficult to get it to stay in place along the side walls without pulling loose and/or sagging. Eventually he figured it out and got it in place, paneled over it (just one more panel to finish the roof) and it looks good. He and his wife are looking forward to their first test-trip soon, although their choices are becoming more limited with this recent viral surge across the south.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If it is being compressed between the van sheet metal and interior paneling, it loses its ability to trap air and insulate. The millions of air/gas pockets/bubbles in foam,can't be compressed.
Batting is usually made a certain thickness, so that it sits in a standard wall thickness and is not compressed, therefore supplying it's full insulating potential.
If this stuff is a few inches thick and you compress it down into an inch thick behind your panels, you basically turned into expensive sound deadening. It will still insulate somewhat, but nowhere near what it's rating is.
If you already used it, it's not worth ripping it out and redoing your interior, unless you spring a leak and it gets wet. But something to consider of you're considering using it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It seems that I poked a hornets nest, unintentional. I am in Michigan and it get really cold here. Again so sorry I asked this question and upset anyone.
I agree with RnR, in that you have nothing to apologize for - you have simply asked a question & you will get opinions here & that is what this forum is for;

In my opinion there are twisty preferred methods/materials;

Entire spray foam job (This is what GaryBIS did) or “Polyiso rigid insulation & Filler spray”. There are pros & cons to both systems. We DIYers are really experimenters in van conversions. There is a wide range of professionals here in engineering & building science (not van building - but buildings & such).

Now in regards to wool; Here is the big red flag for me with wool (the manufacturer’s or sellers do not provide independent test results that are carried out in a manner recognized by independent agencies like ASTM, CSA, etc.). Whatever info they provide “exact, loose, or subjective just has to be believed by the buyer. R value, moisture absorption, mould resistance, flame rating, etc do not seem to be forthwith when I tried to acquire this information with wool.

If I am wrong & they now divulge this material testing specifications please post it here so we can look at it.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts