Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I join this forum only to share my HATE for this P.O.S. thing. I have a 2014 pm 1500 high roof as of now it have 178000miles. I’m going to list my problems
Tire pressure light has been on since day one. I took it to the dealer 3 times each. Each time the dealer didn’t have time to get it into the shop to look at it. I don’t have the time to leave it there I need it to make a living plus I still have to make payments on it.
Brakes SUCK!!! I’m on 6 sets. My not one of those type of drivers. Over the past 20 years all I have had was real trucks fords and chevys and each one I got over 100000 Miles in original brakes. The last one was a diesel so it was heavy.

Coolant leak since new. I’m still losing coolant today and can’t find the leak. On cold day when I come to a stop I can sometimes see puffs of steam come up from the front when I’m in the driver seat. Also the thermostat house cracked and that cause a major leak. Thanks to the ones that are supposed to be smarter than me at Chrysler they made it out of plastic and it cracked.

Struts are a joke all the oil has leaked out and the mount is bad and has bad memeory steer.

Rear springs and bushing even bigger joke. The springs are sagging and the bottom helper leaf is metal on metal causing an awful squeak and the bushing are done. When I go around sharp turns or in any way the van flex’s it makes a hellish bang in the rear. These suspension issues didn’t just happen at the mileage it’s started long ago I would say around 100000. I have taken it over the scales before whenever I go to the scrap yard I’m around 7500-7700pounds load with junk and around 6800 normally.

Back door lock stopped working so I couldn’t get in or out the back doors.

I broke the radio because I had it with factory gps freezing up. (It had it coming)

Trans is slipping and engine has a top end knock sounds like a bad lifter

Bad oil pressure switch which is impossible to change without taking the upper intake off and that takes me to the straw that broke the camels back. The other day I went to replace the switch and put spark plugs in also. Well I got all but two intake bolts out. Water has sat down on top of two bolt heads and now they are completely gone. (I have pics) I can NOT get them out with any of my tricks that I have learned over 30 years of working on cars.
I believe this bolt problem is cause by the engine not having the top cover on it like the other cars the motor comes in. These vans where not originally made with these engines over in Europe and when they brought them to the states they had to get a gas motor.
These vans are great for getting around downtown but that’s it. I will miss the turning radius but I’m looking forward going back to a Chevy that I don’t need to worry what is next to happen.
Do not buy these and think they are a real work van they are more suited for hauling mail and cardboard boxes. I.E. USPS and Amazon.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
All the things you have experienced are in some other vans but to have them all? Some are maintenance items that at 178K you would have in any vehicle some are weird. I have 80K with the origional brakes and not in need of replacement. That transmission is wearing out and probably has not been serviced. Rear bushings warn out? You should expect such things. Get on a schedule to repair and replace the wear.
Yea you have a bad attitude so you should get rid of it and get a sprinter. All your issues will seem minor!

Reactions: RV8R and 208034/

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I join this forum only to share my HATE for this P.O.S. thing. I have a 2014 pm 1500 high roof as of now it have 178000miles.

I’m going to list my problems

Do not buy these and think they are a real work van they are more suited for hauling mail and cardboard boxes. I.E. USPS and Amazon.
Hi Ricks

It seems you joined this forum 1 hour ago to become a Hater

If you are “real”, Im sincerely sorry that you feel, wronged by Ram.

I did not even read your problems section as it is irrelevant to me, however I did leave the main items I read in the above quote. Basically the Coles notes of your post is; I hate my PM / List of Problems / Large Delivery Companies have lots of these PMs

If the Ram is so bad?? Why would USPS & Amazon and all the other really large delivery companies buy these? I do not see these corporations posting hate posts. I see large numbers of these PMs in massive delivery corporations fleets.

edit; I read your weight?? I have a 2018 3500 EXT it weight is 4,876lbs empty - your scale weight makes no sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only wanted to share my issues. If you care to believe me that’s fine. By all means enjoy.
The reason they own them is
1 CHEAP
2 These are great for letter carriers
Also to ones asking why I still it, well I’m at a dealership now buy a commercial truck.
Again I only wanted to share admin please feel free to delete my post

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a 2018 3500 EXT it weight is 4,876lbs empty
... weight seems low... same vehicle (2019), empty cargo, just 1/2 fuel = 5423lbs

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
... weight seems low... same vehicle (2019), empty cargo, just 1/2 fuel = 5423lbs
Yup; I was quoting the factory empty weight of my specific vehicle - they have to weigh them and have to produce that info. Your flag details Canadian, so same as me In BC the empty vehicle weight is detailed on the transfer docs and original purchase docs

2216 KGS = 4,875.2 lbs & I rounded up to try not to gain the metric advantage over the OP who apparently has a 1500 not a 3500EXT. He stated his normal was 6,800lbs ??

My scale weight with me and half tanks prior to my build was 2,390 kgs. Knowing my weight and the weight of fuel it penciled to the factory built weight.

I'm Canadian & lived thru the Metric System Conversion - Or Still am;

Canadian Eh? French / English / Imperial / Metric / Fuel Gauges Down - Are We Set - Ya - What Could Go Wrong ?? (flight 143 - 1983 - Before Scully);

Incase you are interested;

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I'd say at 178000 miles, your van reached the end of its useful life. Then again, its still drivable right?

I think he's upset because the ford dealer is giving him very little for his trade and he wants 10k for it....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I only wanted to share my issues. If you care to believe me that’s fine. By all means enjoy.
The reason they own them is
1 CHEAP
2 These are great for letter carriers
Also to ones asking why I still it, well I’m at a dealership now buy a commercial truck.
Again I only wanted to share admin please feel free to delete my post
Fair enough

Thanks for sharing, and I will take the facts of your report as facts. I will take your opinions as opinions from a past PM owner. Good Luck with the sale of your well used PM and new truck purchase !!

Adios Amigo

I hope the Forum keeps this post on file; In my mind it only shows that after 178,000 miles there is still value in a poorly maintained 2014 1500 PM ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ll keep old plugger. He’s got 298000 miles. Drives good rides good. Good gas mileage. I did just replace the engine for the future but the one I took out had 296900 miles and ran like a top. Just wanted my local guy to do the work

·
Registered
386 Posts
My scale weight with me and half tanks prior to my build was 2,390 kgs
... yup, close enuf to my 2460kg w.half tank and my 160lbs ... silly how as Canadians we mix imperial and metric, especially in the food stores - Ontario anyway...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
... yup, close enuf to my 2460kg w.half tank and my 160lbs ... silly how as Canadians we mix imperial and metric, especially in the food stores - Ontario anyway...
? Check

Metric is easier, but born in imperial & started going thru the conversion since the 70’s it takes a long time to understand a standard like good mileage.

Only over the last 10 years have I converted my mind on what mileage I can expect of various vehicles; the PM seems to gets 11 to 15 L per 100kms ( depending upon speeds / terrain / etc )

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
Let’s see a US pint is 16 US oz, Imperial pint is 16 Imp oz but 20 US oz and a half kilo in German slang is a phund (pound). No wonder I’m so confused! But at C$1.139 a liter or is that litre for reg gas it’s about a USd more a gallon than in the US. Beer is twice as expensive and Toronto traffic is a nightmare ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
... indeed, but the beer here is real ~

1 - 20 of 28 Posts