Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 Maxxair fans with the "Smoke" tinted lids. While I like them, I have two long standing issues. The first is that the "smoke" tint is not 100% opaque. So if I want to nap during the light of day, or be stealth at night I'm not getting total blockage of light. The second issue I have is noise. Sometimes falling rain can be quite soothing, but occasionally it's simply maddening.

Has anyone here tried insulating the covers themselves? I know I can buy or make a cover for the inside, but I use the fans a lot and would prefer something that works 24/7. My idea is to remove the covers and paint the insides with a black bedliner spray like the one from Rustoleum. I've used that product on similar plastics in the past and it seems to hold up well. Another idea was to try and apply a thin 1/4-1/2" of spray foam to the inside of the covers and paint over it. Application of an even coat might be problematic, so I may hold off on that until I see how the bedliner spray works.

Anyone here been down this road before? If so, how did it turn out?

·
Registered
2018 HR 136” in winter camouflage.
56 Posts
I currently have 2 Maxxair fans with the "Smoke" tinted lids. While I like them, I have two long standing issues. The first is that the "smoke" tint is not 100% opaque. So if I want to nap during the light of day, or be stealth at night I'm not getting total blockage of light. The second issue I have is noise. Sometimes falling rain can be quite soothing, but occasionally it's simply maddening.

Has anyone here tried insulating the covers themselves? I know I can buy or make a cover for the inside, but I use the fans a lot and would prefer something that works 24/7. My idea is to remove the covers and paint the insides with a black bedliner spray like the one from Rustoleum. I've used that product on similar plastics in the past and it seems to hold up well. Another idea was to try and apply a thin 1/4-1/2" of spray foam to the inside of the covers and paint over it. Application of an even coat might be problematic, so I may hold off on that until I see how the bedliner spray works.

I used one inch foam covered it with fabric, wedges in tight for sound and light .

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts

I haven't done what you're thinking but I have a few comments:

1) Noise, especially from rain. My belief is that rain noise comes from all over the van. Especially the roof. More so if you don't have something else taking the brunt like solar panels. I have a large solar array but I can still hear the rain hitting them, though I feel it's less loud and "immediate" than the rain hitting the roof itself. The short of it is that if you insulate just the roughly 14x14 area of the roof vent lid, it's not really going to make a big difference if any at all.

2) Stealth at night. My stance on this has changed somewhat. Broadly, I'm running a stealthy van (but let's not get too focused on this concept as I understand it's controversial). My change in stance has to do with whether or not I really want people to think the van is empty. Lately, I'm thinking the answer is "no". I'm now thinking that, in most situations, I want people to think the van is occupied. For example, if I'm overnighting at a Walmart, I want to almost shout out that I'm in the van (i.e. don't even think about breaking in).

In some cases though, the answer is "yes" (I want to be blacked out). For example, overnighting on the street in cities that forbid sleeping in vehicles overnight (many cities in So Cal...). In this case, the real solution is not to be totally blacked out everywhere. Because it's really not possible to be totally blacked out; light escapes through many cracks; it's a fact. The solution is just to "be blacked out where and when you're asleep". So do whatever you do (work, play, cook, eat) without being blacked out in a place where it's ok to do so. Then when it comes to sleep, drive to a good place, be darkened, and immediately go to sleep. In the morning, wake up and immediately leave.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Before I installed my Maxxfan I removed the white lid and fitted a 12" x 12" piece of reflectix to the underside. It was cut to fit around the brackets and held itself in position. I may have added a spot or two adhesive? This size fits into an indentation in the plastic. This leaves about an inch uncovered all around but did a good job of blocking the sun (or street lights). Some aluminum foil tape would block this uncovered area but I see no reason (for me) to do that. I think it also muffled the "tink" from raindrops.

I would suggest to line the underside with 1/4" foam sheet from a craft store and hold in place with a few spots of contact adhesive. That would block light and insulate. Do NOT cover the area where the seal on housing contacts the lid or it will not seal and cause more wind noise?

The whole cover does not need to be insulated (blacked out).. just the 14 x 14" area inside the housing.

Reactions: JohnnyRambles

·
Registered
16 Posts
I disassembled and painted the inside of the cover to keep scratches in the paint from being an issue. It worked great. If I were to do it again, I think I would just paint the outside with bedliner.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Painted mine, used plastic primer first, then rustoleum..
Blocks sunlight, a little quieter, a years worth of driving, paint is awesome

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159 HT Gasser
339 Posts
If you know it is going to rain, try not to park under trees. The trees turn the rain into bigger, louder drops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts