Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about using a hammock temporarily until I later add a bed to my Promaster. It would fit perfectly diagonaly from on cargo point to the other at the halfwall.

Do you think that the frame of the van would support the weight?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering that the tie-downs are rated for, IIRC, 1,000 lb each, how much do you weigh???
Wow! I thought maybe on the floor, but never expected that kind of load rating on the pillars. Is this documented somewhere?

I'm going to have to go on a weight gain diet to test this out:D

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,828 Posts
IIRC, I read it in a discussion here about using the tie-downs for camper furnishings.

I invite anyone with better knowledge to speak up. Wouldn't want this guy to take a tumble. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about the fall. I just don't want to twist my pillars away from the sheet metal walls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi! celilo. Congratulations on the purchase of your new Van. I like your idea of a hammock. It is a nice option to have,that can be easily installed and removed,while camping or just hanging out - relaxing inside. Unfortunately,I do not trust the structural integrity of this ProMaster,without bending something. If anywhere,attach at the top of vertical pillars, nowhere on the bend or horizontal cross bars. Rope or webbing wrapped around,in + out,to dispense the load. I made this ridiculous metal rack inside,that will work perfectly for me. It is 126 inches apart diagonally. Looking forward to purchasing a hammock and giving it a try. Good luck - Have Fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... If anywhere,attach at the top of vertical pillars, nowhere on the bend or horizontal cross bars. ...
Thanks, I would have thought lower would be better than higher? I'm not really looking to build anything for my hammock. I'll probably just build a platform for the bed if I have to motivate to do any real work:D It would be a sweet setup if the load points worked out of the box.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd think an attachment point near where the main supports curve into roof supports would be strongest. Somewhere near the middle of that curve/corner, whether its concave or formed in a convex shape, would carry the stress in two or more directions pretty evenly. The main supports are spot-welded together. I wouldn't use any of the intermediate supports as they are basically just glued to the outer sheet metal. At the rear upper corners of the van there's a mounting hole just above the little triangular cover panel (just above the tail lights, etc.) and a cutaway next to it. This might make a good attachment point. Depending on the length/wheelbase of your van, you might attach the other end at the top of the mid-body support, again near the center of where it curves to meet the roof. These areas don't curve in but are shaped ballooning outward a bit, but you can see how it would transfer the stress in multiple directions.

My back goes into spasm at the very thought of sleeping overnight in a hammock. But your back may be much younger and more accommodating. Sweet dreams.

Reactions: VanBikeDog

·
Registered
99 Posts
How about using one of the seat belt shoulder restraint bolts for the front? That should be more than strong enough to handle a hammock. For the rear you could close something at the top of the rear cargo doors to hold it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wondering if it might suffice run a pole from corner to corner and hang off that?

I'd love to see any pics of prototypes.

:)PP

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so the loading points seemed to work fine, but my hammock is too long and barely rises above the floor surface. I used the load points at half wall just behind the drivers seat and on the far rear and opposite midwall.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hanging Out - Relaxing Inside

WAW, Standing vertical poles Ingenioce IDEA:x:x:x
The only my personal concern, it is metal and it is (metal) cold to tougch in a winter time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Danvandam,

Where does one purchase the metal frame that you have? Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Reactions: Lance Torre

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd think an attachment point near where the main supports curve into roof supports would be strongest. Somewhere near the middle of that curve/corner, whether its concave or formed in a convex shape, would carry the stress in two or more directions pretty evenly. The main supports are spot-welded together. I wouldn't use any of the intermediate supports as they are basically just glued to the outer sheet metal. At the rear upper corners of the van there's a mounting hole just above the little triangular cover panel (just above the tail lights, etc.) and a cutaway next to it. This might make a good attachment point. Depending on the length/wheelbase of your van, you might attach the other end at the top of the mid-body support, again near the center of where it curves to meet the roof. These areas don't curve in but are shaped ballooning outward a bit, but you can see how it would transfer the stress in multiple directions.

My back goes into spasm at the very thought of sleeping overnight in a hammock. But your back may be much younger and more accommodating. Sweet dreams.
Hat tip, jetmelt. Many thanks for this info. Let's me get started using the van BEFORE the build.

-Brand new owner of a brand new '19 high roof, 159WB, 2500. Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
184 Posts
OK, so the loading points seemed to work fine, but my hammock is too long and barely rises above the floor surface. I used the load points at half wall just behind the drivers seat and on the far rear and opposite midwall.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.
had that problem on the porch of my beach house. a few knots in the cord bundle solved that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts