Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted an external antenna on the PM for mobile ham or CB? Any advice yea or nay? Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mount a quarter wave CB antenna to the top of a HR Promaster for extra tree-pruning fun. :)

Reactions: ghill42

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
YES!

I mounted a 144/440 mag mount (about 17") just above the hinge on the driver back door frame.

I originally added a twist on mount to the hitch mount for 2 antennas, for VHF and HF antennas. Later mounted a plate with these mounts directly to the hitch cross bar.

I've also put an antenna on the flagpole. (if you look closely, you can see the vhf/uhf mag mount)

Tends to work best while STATIONARY !

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
425 Posts
I got a couple of Breedlove mounts, and put them on the trim pieces behind the headlights. The Children's Band stick goes on one, the Comet dual band on the other. I have another Breedlove in the back for the HF screwdriver. That works well - the Breedlove mount spread the strain so that a simple knock against the antenna won't warp the body panel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I added a CB radio under the steering wheel and the antenna to the passenger mirror using a muffler clamp. The antenna is a ground plane mount and I added an extra ground wire. I only use the CB when traffic backs up on highway or on Winnebago tours (required).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. I had given little thought to where I'd put the transceiver so that was very helpful also. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
I got a couple of Breedlove mounts, and put them on the trim pieces behind the headlights. The Children's Band stick goes on one, the Comet dual band on the other. I have another Breedlove in the back for the HF screwdriver. That works well - the Breedlove mount spread the strain so that a simple knock against the antenna won't warp the body panel.
I'd like to see some pictures of the mount installed.... sounds interesting!

·
Registered
630 Posts
NOT SUITABLE WHILE DRIVING . . . but we have this telescoping Rohn 30' mast that is hinge mounted to our CamperVan and can be pivoted into position (by one person) with a family of smaller ham radio antennas on it (e.g. 432 yagi & 1296 loop yagi). Shown here we're using the mast for our Ubiquiti Rocket WiFi modem/antenna from the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, TX to 'pull-in' the parks 'internet' signal 1.5 miles distant on top of the ridge overlooking the canyon.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
425 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of the mount installed.... sounds interesting!
Post updated with pictures.
I have a 30ft Buddy Pole that I run up with a wire, and clip that onto the screwdriver. I have a base that I put down, drive the rear wheel onto, and then put the base of the pole into it, and clip a couple of ground radials onto the mount. It does pretty well, but due to FCC part 15 being a joke, I have to basically shut the back half of the van down to bring the HF noise floor down to something reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
NOT SUITABLE WHILE DRIVING . . . but we have this telescoping Rohn 30' mast that is hinge mounted to our CamperVan and can be pivoted into position (by one person) with a family of smaller ham radio antennas on it (e.g. 432 yagi & 1296 loop yagi). Shown here we're using the mast for our Ubiquiti Rocket WiFi modem/antenna from the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, TX to 'pull-in' the parks 'internet' signal 1.5 miles distant on top of the ridge overlooking the canyon.
Wow! Did you manage to pull in the wifi signal? If so, that was super far. Was it usable (what speeds did you get (though it might vary depending on how many users are on it at the park))?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a question to ask that I’m relatively new to ham, and only own a handful of Baofeng HT radios. Newly licensed tech as of Feb. However, I’m not on the air very often due to work and down time with my kids. I’ve run CB in my rigs since I was a teen. But I’m thinking a mobile Ham for the rig (I was looking at some units here Best Mobile Ham Radios In 2021 - Best Ham Radio Transceiver- Wholly Outdoor), or a better HT would work?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
A mobile rig or HT will do it well if your using an external antenna (and if you're mostly in areas covered by repeaters)

Congrats on the new license ! Back before retirement, my 2m/44 radio was a great way to spend the time commuting to work with some friends...not much on the agenda during that time, except for driving!!!

Ed
W1EFM

ps. this summer I think I'm gonna add a front mount behind the headlight for a better VHF/UHF antenna, and maybe another on the other side for my scanner.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,026 Posts
I am considering adding a more permanent antenna to my Promaster. I have just been using a magnet mount on a handheld CB as I never got around to anything more permanent. Mainly just like to hear what is happening when traffic is backing up. Might add a scanner as well. I also have portable scanner, but I am trying to get away from portable stuff in my promaster as it inevitably ends up in places it doesn't belong more than stuff that is mounted in its proper place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts