Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I thought it would nice to start a forum about common problems in promasters. Luckily everything I have had issue with/heard about has been fixable and somewhat minor. Feel free to post the issues here and then give us the solution if/when you have one. Here is what I have seen/heard about so far:

Brake Squeal- Pretty much all promasters do this. Usually at lower speeds just before stopping. SOLUTION: Use the promaster, it will eventually get better, but not perfect. I have had a couple people tell me they have taken them in to get the brake pads worked on a bit and even when they fix it, the squeal comes back. I think time heals this one.

Radiator- Happens mostly in early 14' models. The radiator is faulty. Probably will issue a recall on this, or at least they should. If you argue enough with Mopar, they will replace for free. Mine they did, even after 36,000 miles. The plastic radiator cracks and leaks fluid slowly.

Tire Pressure Sensor- In many models the "orange exclamation point" symbol lights up on the dash. Then on the gage it says "Check Tire Pressure". This can be reset by the dealer, with pretty much no problem. I have had myself and a friend have this problem on mid-year 14' models. I actually drove mine around for a while with it on knowing that it wasn't a big deal. Just today it went off at 4500 miles. Maybe it just burnt out?? :)

"Daytime running light out" symbol- This is a weird one. Sometimes the light comes on and the dash reports "daytime running light out". And sometimes it doesn't. When it says it is out, it is not working. When the light on the dash doesn't come on, it's working. Don't have a fix on this yet because I haven't taken it to the dealer.

Sliding Door hard to open- This I found true in all promasters. Sadly you don't get the glorious "click" when you open the door of a promaster, it is instead a hard pull with the door slightly giving way. I talked to the mechanics and he said it is because of the cable they use in the doors. They actually stretch a bit like a bike cable. This is something that hopefully changes. No fix for this yet... I have broken one cable. All my friends with promasters have this problem.

Squeal form fan in the dash- I had this on my first promaster. Apparently the fan had an issue. They told me that there are 3 fans inside the dash. The one squeaking was the lower driver's side fan. It was past warranty when I got it looked at and they did charge me to fix it. $200 later it was fixed.

That is all for now. I figure it is best to have a place to put all issues so people can look up their issues and if there are easy fixes or not from the dealer or DIY.

I think we would all agree these vans are killer, but every vehicle seems to have its issues. Luckily, so far from what I have heard the problems seem to be minimal with the PM.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great Idea AdventureVan:

Brake Squeal: Seems to get better when I spray all the brake dust off the rotors until all the brake dust stops running out of the wheel.

Tire Pressure Sensor: Found my spare tire was underinflated, air'd it up, and 25 miles later light went out.

Running light on Cab: Had condensation, took to dealer, they installed new gasket.

Front window rain gutter: Was raising up from windshield. Took to dealer, they ordered new gutter and clips.

Ignition Lock Key problem: Will take to dealer end of August.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Idea AdventureVan:

Front window rain gutter: Was raising up from windshield. Took to dealer, they ordered new gutter and clips.
I will second this. Had the same issue and they fixed it no problem.

Thanks!

Stephen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts