Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm still looking to buy a PMC if I can ever find the one I want.

The spec for the ground clearance is listed at 5.1 inches. The lowest part of the van appears to be the front spoiler from what I can tell from pictures I've seen. Can the spoiler be removed and if so will that increase the ground clearance? I'm not looking to use the van as an off road vehicle, but to get to some of my favorite places requires traveling down some fairly rough dirt roads, so any increase in ground clearance would be a plus.

Thanks in advance, Scott

·
Registered
211 Posts
In the old farts community where we live,we have speed bumps,BIG ones.The front air dam goes right over them with no scrubbing/hitting etc.These bumps are at least 5 or more inches tall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It well definitely rub off road if there are shrubs on the roadway, its quite nose heavy and has a poor break over angle.
The air dam is removable and will gain you that needed ground clearance, just be aware that fully loaded the ride height will decrease despite the added clearance.
Ive definitely rubbed the bumper and air dam on some job sites I've visited and had to park and walk on others because there was a small stream that I wasn't able to drive across.
Some better taller tires would be a good thing to have as well, the conti's are terrible off road.
Just get a Delica :). They are a dime a dozen round my part of the woods.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The spec for the ground clearance is listed at 5.1 inches. The lowest part of the van appears to be the front spoiler from what I can tell from pictures I've seen. Can the spoiler be removed and if so will that increase the ground clearance? I'm not looking to use the van as an off road vehicle, but to get to some of my favorite places requires traveling down some fairly rough dirt roads, so any increase in ground clearance would be a plus.

Thanks in advance, Scott
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'd like to turn one into a small RV. I really like the Promaster City but for the low ground clearance. It's lower then a Prius even. :\
I've thought that perhaps I could get some taller walled tires to get maybe another inch of clearance. Not sure about the stock of tire available for this rim however.
Anyway, this is the only issue that keeps me on the fence about the City.

Any updates on your conversion, how is it working out for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not an issue so far

As a farm truck, have not had an issue with ground clearance. Did not even consider it when I purchased the
van. I wouldn't let it stop you from buying, taller tires could
fix it if it;s an issue for you. Air Lift is available for rear, sure you could get something adjustable for the front too, but pricey
and alignment would be custom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Promaster City Ground Clearance measurements with pics

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add some field measured dimensions since I couldn't find them anywhere else online.

The ground clearance for the PMC is listed at 5.1 inches which I believe is measured to the plastic air-dam towards the front bumper. This air-dam is a flat piece of plastic that is free on both ends so it easily bends forward and backwards and I don't think it will break very easily if it needs to bend out of the way. The bottom of this air-dam is at 5.1 inches and the top is at about 8.1 inches. This is the low point of the front over-hang of the vehicle. I wouldn't say that the ground clearance without the air-dam is 8.1 inches because there seem to be some lower points in-line with or directly behind the front wheels but since they are in-line with the wheels, as long as you put the wheel on the road's high point you should be able to clear the 8 inches.

Some of those low points between the front tires are actually plastic guards that hang down about an inch presumably for aerodynamics reasons. They could possibly be replaced with a piece of aluminum or steel. Depending on what they attach to that may be a bad idea if it's not the sub structure.

All in all it's a pretty clean design underneath and the exhaust is tucked up tight. I'v attached some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alpine Mechanisms in Colorado Springs, CO specializes in fabrications and modding the PromMaster and Promaster City. I see on Instagram that they make a custom lift kit. Have contacted them them about specifics

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpine Mechanisms in Colorado Springs, CO specializes in fabrications and modding the PromMaster and Promaster City. I see on Instagram that they make a custom lift kit. Have contacted them them about specifics[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info, I check out their web page and there is a picture of a PMC with a raised front end and aggressive of road tires, it looks pretty cool. They say they fabricated a 1.25 inch strut spacer and left the rear as it was. I like it!

http://alpinemechanisms.com/adventurevehicles/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJQsPkfBbbG/?taken-by=alpinemechanisms

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would not trust this vehicle on rough roads. Drove through a desert road. Nothing that would endanger a sedan and not too rough. Got unlucky and a rock smashed my oil pan drain bolt leaving me stranded with no cell phone coverage 7 miles from civilization. There is NOTHING guarding it. So off road at your own peril. Not fun times.

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster City
6 Posts
Has anyone actually done this leveling kit from alpine Mechanisms (confirmed price today 5/18/2020 still $350 they will not do installations if in the area)? I am looking into this along with a 215/65/16 bf Goodrich ko2. I know this will not make it an off road vehicle but maybe more piece Of mind when on forest roads and blm roads (must keep common sense in mind when traveling). has driving on the highway changed? Do you believe it was worth the money?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I easily removed the front air dam when I drove over a freshly tossed 18 wheeler retread on the interstate. It was stapled onto the bottom cover.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Thanks in advance, Scott
The "spoiler" is flexible rubber so I'm sure it would just bend out of the way on contact. No harm done if removed, its only there to improve fuel economy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts