Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the purchase of a grille cover be a positive for my 2500 PM even if it's not a diesel? I live outside of Fargo and do alot of work around the northern lake area.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You don't need it. Your vehicle (like all vehicles) has a thermostat, so there is no risk of over-cooling it, regardless of ambient temperature.

Adding a grill cover (AKA "winter front") only introduces the risk of blocking cooling air when it is needed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
He did say Fargo >:D

Only once in my life did a car fail to maintain temperature of the engine. It was 35 below driving at night to lake placid. So it can happen, but so rare.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was waiting for someone to get an ecomodder link for a grille block.

I've been running a grill block on my '99 Audi A4 for years. Went for nearly a full block to start with, watched engine temp with the ScanGauge, had to open it up a bit more to keep it reasonable around town. Did some A-B-A testing for mileage and appear to have gained 1-2mpg at freeway speeds.

Besides, I think the car looks better for it. (I think that Fiat grille pictured above looks better too)

Don't think it really changed how fast the engine warms up. Thermostat doesn't open until up to temp, so the cold fluid in the radiator doesn't matter.

If anything, do it for looks and/or mileage gains. But I wouldn't do it without a ScanGauge to watch digital engine temps, not just a sweep gauge that may barely move from 180F to 210F.

·
Registered
654 Posts
fwiw, I checked on the Ram mobile site and there is now a cold weather grill option, but ONLY for the diesel option. Don't know what it looks like....
I can't find it on the non-mobile site though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i noticed it said diesel only-
still thinking about it.......-12f in fargo area this morning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts