Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Plan to purchase a Promaster in the next couple months and converting it for living. My life partner and I live in South Seattle and with the ridiculous price of living continuing along the trend of ridiculous, and our lifestyle being centered around movement and outdoors activity, we are looking for a Promaster to kit out and adventure in.

I’ve been researching a ton and am seriously leaning toward the Promaster over other cargo vans for many reasons you all are probably aware of. My one biggest reservation is the talk of difficulty of maintenance/reliability issues on some sites, but it can’t be worse than the Sprinter correct? Hear good things about Ford Transits but really can’t trade the advantage of FWD.

I’ll be doing research here while looking for a used Promaster with the right foundation for conversion. Currently thinking bout the 2500 with some bells and whistles like swivel seats, backup cam, etc.

I work as an industrial designer and have a foundation in furniture so right now just enjoying having another project to make my imagination hum. Look forward to learning more!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Welcome. Keep us posted on your progress. As for factory swivel and buying used, it's likely not going to happen. I looked for 2 years at most used promasters in my area and never came across one with factory swivels so you'll probably need to go aftermarket. Keep in mind you can't get the six way adjustable seats with the factory swivel, so that's another bonus for going aftermarket. If your passenger is short, go with the lower base. My passenger seat has an aftermarket swivel (which raises the seat 1.5 inches) and my wife's feet can't touch the floor. We are looking at options for her as even with the lowering base, I still think her feet won't reach ;)

If you plan to live in the van full time, make sure you really think about your floorplan. There is a thread here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53962 What can work for one person for a weekend or weeklong trip might not work for someone full time. Storage, seating, hanging storage are all things people overlook.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts