Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Ram Promaster 1500 High Roof 139WB
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Promaster Forumers! In celebration of my fiftieth birthday I bought myself a brand new 2019 Promaster 1500 High Roof 136WB in a stunning granite crystal metallic. I plan to convert it myself and am trying to get it right the first time given my limited construction experience. I originally wanted white (to be stealthy) but got a fantastic quarantine all cash deal on my beautiful van whom I’ve named Black Swan Event. As a professional licensed tattooer/tattoo studio owner, I hope to make my van comfortably liveable for short 1 week off-grid periods in order to more easily do guest spots in tattoo studios across the world while creating a peaceful self-contained, chill atmosphere to create art.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Congratulations on a great purchase! Lots of happy PM owners here who have come up with very cool designs just perfect for your type of travel. Looking forward to seeing YOUR ideas.

Reactions: TabbyTravels

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations on a great purchase! Lots of happy PM owners here who have come up with very cool designs just perfect for your type of travel. Looking forward to seeing YOUR ideas.
Thank you kindly! Like everyone I’m trying to get the best functionality in my 136” space. I got the 136WB because I didn’t feel confident driving anything larger. Due to my vocation I know a lot of tradesmen and I am hopeful they can give me some tips.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Don’t count on any tradesman tips! The work their vans to death typically and or have employees driving them who couldn’t care less. The RV people here will (usually) give you the best advice. And... stay away from uTube! More bad misinformation there than anywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome to this awesome site and info center. Nice to have you join us. Congrats on your purchase, you've made a great choice!
Thanks very much. Much appreciated 😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t count on any tradesman tips! The work their vans to death typically and or have employees driving them who couldn’t care less. The RV people here will (usually) give you the best advice. And... stay away from uTube! More bad misinformation there than anywhere.
Mainly I was seeking the help of a welder I tattoo to help me weld up a convertible elevated bed!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Mainly I was seeking the help of a welder I tattoo to help me weld up a convertible elevated bed!
People with skills and specialized tools are valuable for sure. But for a bed frame, wood is completely fine. Easy to work with too. My current bed is sitting on top of a hacked up box spring recovered from a bedding recycler. I plan to rebuild it but it has supported my Ikea mattress just fine with no sagging. It's basically 1x3 rough wood about 3 or 4 inches apart. Anyone can build that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People with skills and specialized tools are valuable for sure. But for a bed frame, wood is completely fine. Easy to work with too. My current bed is sitting on top of a hacked up box spring recovered from a bedding recycler. I plan to rebuild it but it has supported my Ikea mattress just fine with no sagging. It's basically 1x3 rough wood about 3 or 4 inches apart. Anyone can build that.
I have specialized weight needs. Would wood hold 1k pounds?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Oh, I see; customers, right? I'm not a woodworker so don't quote me but, I'm sure that something could be designed to hold 1000 pounds. Just use thicker wood. Think of a (very) sturdy picnic table or a stout work bench.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I see; customers, right? I'm not a woodworker so don't quote me but, I'm sure that something could be designed to hold 1000 pounds. Just use thicker wood. Think of a (very) sturdy picnic table or a stout work bench.
Absolutely not. I have 3 one hundred pound dogs, I weigh about 190 and my main squeeze of thirteen years weighs 400 thus sturdy is in order 😉

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
916 Posts
Love the color (same) and the name "Black Swan Event" is great.

Nothing wrong with steel :) I'm using steel mixed with a little bit of wood in my build of cabinets and et c.

Plus it's an excuse to say "angry glue gun" when referring to the wire feed welder :)

And I'm waiting for a picture of those big dogs :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I was thinking steel or aluminum...like the bar kind, don’t know the name but they use it to make skill saw sliders.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
916 Posts
Nice puppers!

Maybe look at 80/20:

I think some folks have repurposed metal ramps:

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
TabbyTravels please include a photo of your Promaster, in the future, if you want to show off your pets - this is the Promaster forum, not "Animals on Parade".

Thank you for your cooperation, in advance.
I was thinking steel or aluminum...like the bar kind, don’t know the name but they use it to make skill saw sliders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice puppers!

Maybe look at 80/20:

I think some folks have repurposed metal ramps:

That’s exactly the stuff I meant. Thanks for giving me a name!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts