Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to the forum, and I just wanted to say that m wife and I are planning on a PM 136 HR purchase soon to use as an RV until we retire...

Looking to learn a lot through the forum, as there are clearly a number of very knowledgeable people posting here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome. Plenty of people on the forum from CA - including me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I'm looking forward to working through the details for a van build and/or maybe just go the Wayfarer Vans route now that they have a shop in Reno. The WF approach would probably be good for starting out and then I could add windows and other items in time.

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the journey!

This forum is treasure trove. Whatever inquiry you can conjure, there's probably someone here who has already come out the other side with invaluable insight. I remember scoping the WF solution when shopping for my van. Ultimately I filled every square inch with my own blood, sweat, and tears. And glad for it. But if you have the coin for a turn-key solution like WF then it's certainly a way to fast-track to the fun. Win win either way. Cheers~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've though about doing my own, and I could certainly do it, but for the time possibly. There's a few things about the WF designs that I'm not too keen on, but as a starter approach, it appears to make a lot of sense and it will avoid a bunch of research that I would need to do. If they couldn't install until late this year, I may just do it myself anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was looking into them but for $10K it seems like it's way too expensive. I know a custom build can get pricey but for a modular turnkey system that doesn't include electrical, ventilation and kitchen it seems overpriced IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Hi folks, new to the forum, and I just wanted to say that m wife and I are planning on a PM 136 HR purchase soon to use as an RV until we retire...

Looking to learn a lot through the forum, as there are clearly a number of very knowledgeable people posting here.
What will you use as an RV after you retire? The PM might be all you need!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking into them but for $10K it seems like it's way too expensive. I know a custom build can get pricey but for a modular turnkey system that doesn't include electrical, ventilation and kitchen it seems overpriced IMHO.
You could certainly say that about ALL of the upfitters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What will you use as an RV after you retire? The PM might be all you need!
That's 15 years from now, and once I retire, another 5 or so before my wife will do so. At that point, we may want a larger vehicle? Who knows. I see that as when we would consider something different for longer trips and an easier life while on the road.

On the other hand, I'm not fond of the huge RVs at all, so it may not mean anything different for us, but until that time comes, the 136 would seem to be a great vehicle for long weekends and occasional longer trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could certainly say that about ALL of the upfitters.
I should have clarified, I think there's not enough "value" for the asking price. If you look at a $15K-$20K custom build vs the $10K Wayfarer kit, it seems like you are definitely getting 1.5x-2x more in the custom build. Now obviously the extra $5k-$10K extra is significant and $10K might be your budget. But with a $10K budget I think you'll be able to find a builder/conversion shop that will do everything in the Wayfarer kit for either less or the same price but better customization. I was actually really excited about the Wayfarer kit when I first heard of it. But I thought the kit would come with ventilation, kitchen, electrical, etc. But AFAIK (unless they changed it), it really is just insulation, storage, a sink and a bed platform. And of course installation. So I think for that value it's pricey.

·
Super Moderator
8,996 Posts
Worth less than $2000 plus some labor, in the real world. Those packages are for people with no idea of value or costs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts