Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried an experiment with the Great Stuff Pro and Locktite PL Premium. Reason for this was that I was concerned about using the GS to adhere my plywood flooring to the 1" polyiso that I have put down. I was afraid that the first bit of GS would be skinning over and not have any adhesion by the time I got enough laid down to "glue" a 4x8 sheet of ply. What I found was that in 5 minutes or less the GS WAS skinning and when I put the ply to it it just flattened out the bead of foam. Am I doing something wrong or missing some trick of application. On the other hand the Locktite PL Premium stays soft and sticky for a LONG time which would allow the ply to be positioned without having to fight it. Downside to that is that it needs to be loaded with weight probably at least overnight for a cure. For those of you who have used these methods do you have any advise? I have my first sheet scribed and ready to glue down I'd just rather not have to face a gluing failure.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Did you use “Gaps and Cracks”? I have found it takes less than you think and with the gun it can be put down on a 4X8 foot sheet in much less than a minute and the ply laid down and a few cement blocks to keep it for a couple of hours worked great. You only need a bead about every 8” or a bit less and only in one direction. No it won’t squeak.
I also used PL 400 a lot and it is an effective adhesive but like you said it needs overnight.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,086 Posts
Hi,
I've used both of them, and they are both good adhesives, but you are right in saying that with Great Stuff you have to be fast. Basically you have to trial fit the plywood and make sure it does not need any trimming, have the weights all ready to go, then apply the Great Stuff quickly and get the plywood down and weights on right away.

On my floor, I used Locktite PL 3X to hold the ply strips that filled the channels in the floor, and the Great Stuff Pro to glue the polyiso down and to glue the 1/4 ply to the poliso. I do think the Great Stuff Pro applicator makes putting the GS down fast easier.
Pictures here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-conversion-flooring/

I've used GS a lot over the years as an adhesive and never been disappointed with it. Its great stuff :)

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts