Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the recent dumping of snow here (Melting today finally), I can conclude I really like my Promaster in the snow. Well balanced and good traction. As easy to drive as any good front wheel drive car!

ETA: My buddy with his new Transit was NOT happy with this storm! ;-)

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
185 Posts
Rich
What kind of loading did you have in your van when you experienced the good traction? I would imagine that as you get near GVWR the situation would not be quite as attractive with more than 50% of the vehicle weight on the rear axle.
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
We received a lot of snow here on the Connecticut shoreline..

I have not yet taken delivery of my new work PM.. my company is putting some snow tires on the existing ones we have..
the consensus from the others... is the 4wd is still better..

I will miss my 4wd.. old GMC savannah van

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
4WD is of course better. Next is AWD, then FWD, then RWD. Real winter tires are the secret to going in a 2WD vehicle, put them on all 4 wheels so you don’t end up looking at the back of your van passing the front. DAMHIK

·
Registered
130 Posts
After doing a lot of digging today I've decided to go with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Nokia...ash=item33b8ef48f8:g:LfwAAOSwU-pXtg3b&vxp=mtr

Want a studded, dedicated winter tire.

Not happy w/ the Cooper Discover winter tires that are on it now - can't scale any decent grade. (Using cable chains only option).

It must be 'all about the tire' because my experience with the Promaster in the snow or ice rates a D+ at best up to now.

Foot of snow in Portland, 15-18f tonight and I might as well be driving the Smoky and Bandit Trans Am if not for the chains.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nokian Hakkapelita....those are some serious tires I used to run those on my saabs...
gislaveds...are 2nd choice...
my company is putting firestones winterforce on our PMs..
im sure there is no comparision...

I got my new PM today...only 1/2 done.. :-(

only 1/2 the blinking strobe lights..and no logos...looks like another week with the GMC savannah van

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah the Nokians are considered even superior to the Bridgestone Blizzaks by some. What sealed the deal for me were the factory installed studs that actually retract - pretty cool tech. Plus that price is very competitive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Tires

After doing a lot of digging today I've decided to go with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Nokia...ash=item33b8ef48f8:g:LfwAAOSwU-pXtg3b&vxp=mtr

Want a studded, dedicated winter tire.

Not happy w/ the Cooper Discover winter tires that are on it now - can't scale any decent grade. (Using cable chains only option).

It must be 'all about the tire' because my experience with the Promaster in the snow or ice rates a D+ at best up to now.

Foot of snow in Portland, 15-18f tonight and I might as well be driving the Smoky and Bandit Trans Am if not for the chains.
It is ABSOLUTELY all about the tires! I've driven all over Idaho in my RWD Econoline with studded snows all around. No problem. I even had weight in the rear at times. Without the tires, I couldn't get out of my driveway! YMMV I came home with my brand new PM on a heavy snow, icy day using just the All Season tires on the PM. I absolutely loved the way it handled. Can't wait for next year with dedicated winter tires!

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just finished our maiden voyage in our 2016 3500 Ext Diesel. Our build and load weights in around 8,500 with even front and rear distribution. We included a winter visit to Yosemite and lucked out in getting one of 10 campsites that had been dug out. We are on stock factory tires and I was very impressed with the winter handling. We got a bit adventurous and chained up to drive up to Badger Pass for a ski. The Promaster with chains is like a tank. I had toyed with getting a Sprinter AWD, but I don't think if buys you that much for winter driving. If it gets really nasty a just chain up.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
We have two Promasters. One has the Nokian Hakkapelita which are good, but the other has BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A and are outstanding.
We have lots of snow up here, and always make it around even in 5 inches of slushy snow.
I am definitely sold.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich
What kind of loading did you have in your van when you experienced the good traction? I would imagine that as you get near GVWR the situation would not be quite as attractive with more than 50% of the vehicle weight on the rear axle.
Thanks, Bill
Just a modest load of stuff in the van. All my usual camping gear plus the deep cycle batteries and the apartment fridge. 4 to 500 pounds perhaps. Flat terrain around here.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Rich
Thanks, Bill
Hi
This is how the weight distribution turned out on my conversion:

Bare van
Front 3013 lbs (64%)
Rear 1717 lbs (36%)

After conversion:
Front 3167 lbs (55%)
Rear 2597 lbs (45%)

Full up with 2 people onboard and full tanks
Front 3713 lbs (55%)
Rear 3022 lbs (45%)

This is for a 136 WB, high roof, 1500 camper van conversion.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-promaster-conversion-weight-of-conversion/

So, for a camper van conversion you probably still end up with more weight on the front axle, but if you were hauling heavy cargo and getting up closer to full GW, it would swing to more weight on the back.

I'm purposely not rotating my Vancos to give me an excuse to get rid of them sooner :)

Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well Im not sold..
I was spoiled by 4wd..my old fleet van was a GMC savannah 4wd...even with tons of miles and at the end of its life.. it was MUCH better in snow with just street tires..

My new fleet PM has Arctic Claw XSI snows on it..( never heard of them..very little on the internet)..
my rating , as well as the other guys in the fleet...not so good..
we have bunches of tools, weight , etc..in the fleet vehicles,,,poor performance..got stuck in a customers driveway...
overall the PM goes well over the road, and in a snow & ice free climate.. I would recommend for fleet service..

so I'll guess that lower weight , and WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION is key

·
Registered
243 Posts
We just finished our maiden voyage in our 2016 3500 Ext Diesel. Our build and load weights in around 8,500 with even front and rear distribution. We included a winter visit to Yosemite and lucked out in getting one of 10 campsites that had been dug out. We are on stock factory tires and I was very impressed with the winter handling. We got a bit adventurous and chained up to drive up to Badger Pass for a ski. The Promaster with chains is like a tank. I had toyed with getting a Sprinter AWD, but I don't think if buys you that much for winter driving. If it gets really nasty a just chain up.
Were you up at Badger Pass on Feb 4? We saw a promaster diesel with chains as we came off the xc ski trails, and I wanted to go check it out, but my wife vetoed due to exhaustion...

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, we we're there on Jan. 27. I too always want to check out other Promasters whenever I see them. Glacier point is an incredible XC ski, although the rental skis up there not so great.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi
This is how the weight distribution turned out on my conversion:

Bare van
Front 3013 lbs (64%)
Rear 1717 lbs (36%)

After conversion:
Front 3167 lbs (55%)
Rear 2597 lbs (45%)

Full up with 2 people onboard and full tanks
Front 3713 lbs (55%)
Rear 3022 lbs (45%)

This is for a 136 WB, high roof, 1500 camper van conversion.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-promaster-conversion-weight-of-conversion/

So, for a camper van conversion you probably still end up with more weight on the front axle, but if you were hauling heavy cargo and getting up closer to full GW, it would swing to more weight on the back.

I'm purposely not rotating my Vancos to give me an excuse to get rid of them sooner :)

Gary
How did get the weight on each wheel?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
How did get the weight on each wheel?
Hi,
Our local metal recycling place has a scale, and they don't mind people using it to weigh their vehicles. I weighed front axle and back axle separately to get the front to back distribution.

I weighed it near empty and then again after conversion.
Too get to the exact configurations listed, I added the weight for things like people, water and propane beaming them out to the front and rear axle according to where they are in the van.

As I did the conversion, I tried to keep track of the weight of each item and if I add these to the first empty weighing it agrees within about 60 lbs to the actual end weighing -- not too bad :)

Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have two Promasters. One has the Nokian Hakkapelita which are good, but the other has BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A and are outstanding.
We have lots of snow up here, and always make it around even in 5 inches of slushy snow.
I am definitely sold.
Which size are you using? I just had a look at the available 16" sizes and it has an inch less OD than stock. If anything I'd like more ground clearance in winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Never mind. Finally worked out their website and I was looking in the wrong vehicle category. Although, did you fit the 245's?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts