Ram Promaster Forum banner

Grab handle for sliding door install

40K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  proeddie 
#1 · (Edited)
A simple, yet elegant, install of a grab handle for people entering the van via the sliding door. :D This handle, plus the Carr super hoop step make it very easy to enter and exit the van.

If you remove the black boot at the bottom of the column, you will find one screw that needs to be removed to allow you to pull the grey plastic cover away from the column behind the passenger door.

Pull on the weatherstripping to release it from the edge of the grey column trim.

If you measure up 13 1/2" from the bottom of the grey cover you will find a hex hole punched in the steel column. Up 8" higher, you will find a second hole. I think these are used for partition holding.

If you enlarge the two holes with a drill, they will fit a 1/4-20 rivnut. Install them.

In the plastic cover drill corresponding 3/8" holes about 7/8" in from the edge. Cut two small blocks of wood - 5/8" thick, about 1" high and 3/4" wide. Drill a 3/8" hole in each. These are needed to fill the space between the plastic cover and the metal column so the screws can be tightened against a solid surface.

Run two 14/-20 x 1 1/4" round head screws thru the handle holes,thru the plastic, thru the wood spacer blocks, and screw into the rivnuts. Note: round head screws not hex head bolts!

Put the rubber weatherstrip back in place and trim to clear the handle. Done! :D

Note: when you close the door, the door opening lever will just about touch the handle, but it does not interfere (at least in my case)

But, you say, where do I get a handle that fits the two hole spacing EXACTLY?

I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Black-Pla...ler-9-25-lg-/111698301445?hash=item1a01bcd205

The guys at Fiat must have set the hole spacing to be just right for the "RV handle industry"!

All of the above should work... do so at your own risk - no warranties expressed or implied. Not available in all states, and subject to local laws and ordinances. etc....>:D

Enjoy your PM!
Ed

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
The All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be dele
looking to mount grab handles on the driver and passenger side of a 2014 Ram Promaster. Anyone done this, parts # and photos please : )

#36 ·
Someone suggested that they put a looped belt around the seat headrest post to use as an assist to get in the slider.... could also work for the passenger door. I always drive so I have no problem with using the steering wheel as an assist handle.

My wife is now used to keeping the door partially closed and using the door armrest handle. We're both short, and the Carr Hoops have made a big difference! We have 'em at all 3 doors and a hitch mounted step for rear door ingress/egress (again, with the rear door handle as an assist).

#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
I meant install grab handles. If so where ? The ones on the roof are too high for short people to reach LOL.

Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section

Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted as your introductory post helps other long time members when responding to you and also prevents spam.

#39 · (Edited)
I've read a few threads on grab handles here, related to both front doors and back. I installed 4 grab handles in the back for <$6 apiece from eBay; one on the B-pillar following the instructions in one of the threads, one each at the top of the back doors so I can swing them closed while in bed (not an easy task if they're open 180 degrees or more), and one on the top towards the rear of the slider window bay so I can 'persuade' it shut from the inside without slamming it. The front looks more complicated (there may be air bags), but my wife is the short one at 6'2" so we use what's there.

B-pillar:

Slider Helper:

Top of rear doors for reaching outside to close from bed:

#42 ·
When I saw your post with CARR in the link, I assumed you were talking about the Carr Hoop Steps.

That slide in/slide out step looks nice but as KOV said, how do you extend and retract it from inside the van? I like the fixed Carr steps (would be a tough in and out without 'em) but not sure how a manual step would work. If you're getting in, after you step in, the step is still extended. If you're getting out, how do you extend the step so you can use it to egress?

I guess while camping, you can extend once and use it for the day, but for day-to-day in-and-out I think a power step would be more functional for us... or the fixed hoops. Ours are mounted so that the height of the step is within 1/2" of the center of the distance from the ground to the floor.

#43 ·
Everybody has different needs and wants I guess. I don’t want a permanent step and I want a deep step so that my dog can step on it easily. So hoops are out.
I have no problem hopping out of the slider without the step extended to deploy it, or getting out of the driver seat and walk around. I’m 5’10” with long legs, having a step for when I’m stationary is good enough for me.

#45 ·
A simple, yet elegant, install of a grab handle for people entering the van via the sliding door. :D This handle, plus the Carr super hoop step make it very easy to enter and exit the van.

If you remove the black boot at the bottom of the column, you will find one screw that needs to be removed to allow you to pull the grey plastic cover away from the column behind the passenger door.

Pull on the weatherstripping to release it from the edge of the grey column trim.

If you measure up 13 1/2" from the bottom of the grey cover you will find a hex hole punched in the steel column. Up 8" higher, you will find a second hole. I think these are used for partition holding.

If you enlarge the two holes with a drill, they will fit a 1/4-20 rivnut. Install them.

In the plastic cover drill corresponding 3/8" holes about 7/8" in from the edge. Cut two small blocks of wood - 5/8" thick, about 1" high and 3/4" wide. Drill a 3/8" hole in each. These are needed to fill the space between the plastic cover and the metal column so the screws can be tightened against a solid surface.

Run two 14/-20 x 1 1/4" round head screws thru the handle holes,thru the plastic, thru the wood spacer blocks, and screw into the rivnuts. Note: round head screws not hex head bolts!

Put the rubber weatherstrip back in place and trim to clear the handle. Done! :D

Note: when you close the door, the door opening lever will just about touch the handle, but it does not interfere (at least in my case)

I found these: (1) Black Plastic Grab / assist Handle Bar RV Motorhome Camper Trailer 9.25" lg | eBay

The guys at Fiat must have set the hole spacing to be just right for the "RV handle industry"!

All of the above should work... do so at your own risk - no warranties expressed or implied. Not available in all states, and subject to local laws and ordinances. etc....>:D

Enjoy your PM!
Ed
Just installed one of these after reading your post...thanks for the idea, and the motivation to go work on the van in93 degree heat.

Reactions: Trrrtbone
#46 ·
Thank you pro Ed!

Ebay link still good as of November 2021.
I ordered(and recieved) four of the grab handles and a rivnut tool with a couple hundred rivnuts. I want to put one on the forward side of the B pillar too. Also one on the inside of the slider to pull it shut with. That leaves just one left but I'll find a place for it don't you worry.
It 4 below zero Fahrenheit right now but I'll post when I get them installed .

R.

#49 ·

I found these: (1) Black Plastic Grab / assist Handle Bar RV Motorhome Camper Trailer 9.25" lg | eBay

Enjoy your PM!
Ed
Great right up
looking at this as a next project your info has given me the confidence to attempt
Thanks for posting
See your in Ct me as well

#50 ·
Update:
I got the van indoors and finally got to this project.
The cool thing is; there are 4 holes spaced 8 inches apart along the B pillar. I used the top two. I used scrap uhmwpe for spacers and just let the rubber weatherseal be pinched under the handle. A bit of fiddly work to get it together without dropping the spacer,7th but all went as spec'ed out in the original post.
I added a handle to the window sill too.
See pics for my groovy rivnut tool from ebay.

Russ
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

#52 ·
Bingo! It's almost like they put those holes there for us. I used wood with pre-spaced tee nuts installed and double-sided tape to help stabilize it. Had to borrow someone with smaller hands/wrist to fish it up into the pillar though, and the seatbelt slider doesn't make it easy.

On the door handle, I installed mine at the back because I think it allows me to pull the door latched without having to slam it as hard. The downside of my location, though, is if you later install cabinetry there it makes it difficult to reach.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

#54 ·
W

Enjoy your PM!
Ed

Worked like a charm. I got the handles on Amazon 2 for $10 and bought enough screws and rivnuts for the second handle and gave them to my buddy. The holes on the 2023 Promaster are big enough for the rivnuts without modification. Dealer wanted over $200 installed. Buying parts and installing took 2 hours.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive Authority Plastic Grab Handle-Entry Door Assist Bar for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motor Home, Cargo Trailer, Boat-OEM Replacement (Black) https://a.co/d/7azDoD9