Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,341 Posts
Thanks KWB, that's good stuff there.

I would however like to alter my questions if no one minds. I would like to add an additional handle on the passenger side. About where the seat belt hangs or perhaps off of the seat back. It would be an extra grab point and keep things balanced.

PUFFCARD - Pull out side step...deal me in.
I have a dog collar on the passenger head rest and/or seat hinge the head rest works better as you are pulling your self up and in. WM has 99¢ easy release dog collars they are not break-a-way collars. But you can use what ever you want, it's just an idea for you to experiment with. Put a weight on the collar, back of seat side and it will self retract, a leash buckle works. Mine work but not used often enough to improve.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
I bought 2 for $10 a few years ago, not the same but just as useful. There is no shortage of universal grab handles out there so why pay that kind of money?

Here are some on Amazon that are just as suitable.

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
2019 ProMaster, 159" 2500
21 Posts
Ed, I just ordered one of these, thanks for sharing!

A simple, yet elegant, install of a grab handle for people entering the van via the sliding door. :D This handle, plus the Carr super hoop step make it very easy to enter and exit the van.

·
Registered
2019 PM 1500 136" Low White Tow Nav Park
23 Posts
I ordered the Mopar Side step #82214884 and Grab handle (B pillar) #82214304. I LOVE that handle! Yes, I hesitated alot over the price...I kept rummaging through my home remod stuff but decided to get it. It IS burly, nice big grip, no rough edges and really, it's dependable for something I'll be grabbing daily. Especially useful when swiveling the passenger seat.

Mopar Bad 1: Why did I "assume" Mopar meant perfect? The paper template you lay on the plastic pillar cover to drill mounting holes was short/off by 3/8". Easily apparent if you lay the handle against the template before drilling...but did I?

Mopar Bad 1: The side step install was going great until step 7. The eight bolts thread into metal nuts/bosses set in the PVC step. Well, either they weren't tapped or the nuts didn't set right, but they spun. Luckily 24mo Mopar warranty allows me to bring this internet buy to my local Ram dealer. I'm still waiting (1 week) for replacement.

Despite the issues, I don't regret the feel and look of these step and handle. Price...meh!

·
Registered
2019 ProMaster, 159" 2500
21 Posts
Ed, I just installed one of these. I went up to the next height, for us it made sense. Got the white one, as everything is grey anyway.

·
Registered
2019 PM 1500 136" Low White Tow Nav Park
23 Posts
FYI the issue with the Mopar side step #82214884 turned out to be improper hardware (still!). I opened replacement warranty step at dealership and had same issue. Service manager discovered factory had once again supplied 1/4-20 instead of M6 as shown in instructions. I had to get my own flange bolts.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Lots of thoughts! $522 for a spring loaded step??? How are you going to open or close it from inside? Very bad product and desire.

‘At least get an electric power step. Thule makes one for a lot less even ordering from the U.K. and paying the freight.

Also see ThomD’s video Tandemhearts' Bike Hauler

and CorndogCaravan’s post

PS - I live close to Portsmouth NH anytime you want to check mine out just send me a PM😉

·
Registered
157 Posts
kov - how far below the body of the van does your step go? We'd like to maintain as much ground clearance as possible. Also, trying to keep things as simple, i.e., unpowered, as possible, so I guess we'll keep looking. We'll be living through rather than in the PM.

And thanks for your kind offer! We may take you up on it since it seems that NH will allow day visits without quarantining. 😉

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
12" from the ground to the top of the step and 10 ½" ftom the top of the step to the top of my floor.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts