Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I stopped and toured a couple promasters this morning. I did not have time for a test drive however I crawled around a 1500 low roof and a 2500 high roof. I was impressed with the room even in the low roof, and the high roof is great. Drivers area was quite comfortable for me. I'm 6' and 250 lbs. there was no divider. The reverse camera allows great vision, which I liked. The thing I thought was the most thought out, although it probably came to be from necessity is the jack. Has a case you grab and go. Neither of the vans I looked at would be what I'd be buying so I will have to order most likely when I'm ready. I was a little disappointed that 0 out of the 4 on the lot had a divider.
The van is a little raw inside I would say but once up fitted would go un noticed.
I'm definitely going to have to start crunching numbers soon.

Thx.
Brent

·
Registered
386 Posts
thanks for the insight brent.

Did your knees feel cramped at all? Most who are 6ft or taller seem to be complaining about the legroom and seating position being too upright.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Knees were not cramped at all. I brought the seat to the forward position and my knees crashed into the dash as expected, but I found my comfort zone somewhere around 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back. So there is more adjustment with no cargo divider.
I can't say for the too upright seating position as there was no problem leaning the seat back with nothing but an acre of open cargo behind me

·
Registered
104 Posts
So is the driver seat comfort issue only a problem when there is the cargo divider at the back. Otherwise there is enough room to sit comfortably for taller drivers? This is one of the biggest things I am concerned about with the Promaster. Comfort in a work vehicle is really important to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Knees were not cramped at all. I brought the seat to the forward position and my knees crashed into the dash as expected, but I found my comfort zone somewhere around 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back. So there is more adjustment with no cargo divider.
I can't say for the too upright seating position as there was no problem leaning the seat back with nothing but an acre of open cargo behind me
thats not too bad then i guess, just need to rid of the cargo divider if space is an issue. how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drove a 2500 high roof with no cargo divider. I am 6'4", 215 lbs. & have a 36" inseam. There is no issue with the seat back angle, or the seat height adjustments. There is not enough rearward travel in the seat track to get room to put my legs anywhere close to straight, a position I find necessary to achieve comfort while driving.
Some have mentioned altering the seat base, that may be possible however it will move the driving position rearward & with no tilt in the steering wheel the reach is already a straight arm affair & will only get worse if the seat moves back. The seat is also mounted quite high so as you move back & up to get more legroom, you begin to cut the top edge of your view out the windshield.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I drove a 2500 high roof with no cargo divider. I am 6'4", 215 lbs. & have a 36" inseam. There is no issue with the seat back angle, or the seat height adjustments. There is not enough rearward travel in the seat track to get room to put my legs anywhere close to straight, a position I find necessary to achieve comfort while driving.
Some have mentioned altering the seat base, that may be possible however it will move the driving position rearward & with no tilt in the steering wheel the reach is already a straight arm affair & will only get worse if the seat moves back. The seat is also mounted quite high so as you move back & up to get more legroom, you begin to cut the top edge of your view out the windshield.
that makes sense.

thanks for the insight.

seems like fixing the problem could be trickier than just modifying the seat to go farther back.

You would need to extend the steeering wheel somehow too.

looks like the tall guys are out of luck,

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wonder if the problem could be solved by removing the lower cupholder area

seems like a couple of plastic tabs hold it in place, you could then get a generic tricket tray/cup holder to go between the seats. Not the ideal situation but something to consider...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sure looks like the lower cup holder can be removed, as you said, probably a bunch of clips holding it down. I bet they made it like that for easy cleaning. Plus people can always get the universal cup holders that hook into your door panel and through the gap from the door panel to window

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cup holders do not interfere with the drivers leg at all IMO
My knee came nowhere close to it, the angle of the pic is deceiving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The cup holders are not the problem. Removing them will not help long legs stretch out more. I believe tall drivers will have to look at the coming Transit or Sprinter. I just drove a 2014 Sprinter with the 4cyl. & 7 spd it is a very sweet driving van.
I will wait for the Transit & to see if GM puts their latest engines & transmissions in the 2015 cargo vans. Their new V6 with cylinder deactivation & direct injection could get low 20's highway MPG like the current pickups do if put in a van & would be a competitor for the Transit & Promaster with some updating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts