Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO...... Got a little "bump" from the guy driving the semi behind me today, Sore as ****, the piddly little headrest is quite hard apparently.

Anyway since this van has rather long glued seams on the side panels anything special I need to know when getting it repaired? The vertical seams on the left and right corners are stretched apart and you can see right through them!

I plan on taking it to the commercial ram truck dealer where it gets its service since they seem to specialize in work truck / vans. All the shelving has torn loose inside and the bulkhead is smashed forward I want them to do the repairs since they do their own upfitting and I assume they can get it right.

If this doesnt make sense i will edit in the morning when the pain meds wear off but I think it gets my questions out there.

Any advise would be great.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry about your accident. Hope recovery goes well. I have had the plastic trim off of mine. Pics can be seen in the following thread.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40025&page=2
The rear corner piece of the body that the door hinge mounts to is quite a bit heavier metal than the other flat body panels. It must have taken quite a pop to crush it that significantly. I am not a body guy, but my guess is that type of damage combined with the damage to your buildout inside could easily exceed half the current value of the PM. My guess is in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. A case could be made to their insurer for replacement of the van. I would seriously question whether your van will ever be the same after all the crumpled metal is removed and replaced.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You will need to go to a semi truck repair facility as the tall ProMasters won't fit in a regular paint booth. I wonder if it may be totaled? Your description sounds like there is a lot of damage that we can't see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got an email back from the body shop at the dealer where I plan to get it repaired. Good news / bad news... They have a bay big enough for the paint work and can physically do the work with the glued seams etc however he mentioned parts supply issues. He says that they have one of their in house delivery promaster vans that has been waiting 8 weeks for replacement internal steel parts. Exterior panels are easier to get but according to him the substructure is nearly impossible......

Guess we will see what happens, if they total it then that presents another issue, currently showing no units available in our specs according to the dodge site.

What a pain this is going to be, not to mention the 100k worth of potentially damaged equipment in the back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you hurt your neck with upgraded headrest? There was recall on headrests last summer.
This promaster does not have the upgraded headrest, I just got notification in the mail that there was a recall. It was not mentioned in any of my previous service visits at the dealer where i purchased it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In my van there was no noticeable difference between the original headrest and the replacement model. Supposedly the distance between the head and headrest was too wide to meet U.S. safety spec. It sure couldn't have been by much though.

·
Registered
756 Posts
"All the shelving has torn loose inside and the bulkhead is smashed forward I want them to do the repairs since they do their own upfitting and I assume they can get it right"
I'd like to see how the interior shelf fasteners failed, half out of morbid curiosity and half out of an ounce of prevention, and how the bulkhead fared, if'n youse could get a few photos....

I keep looking back at the open cargo area in my 2500 and wonder if I should find a turn-key bulkhead to modify just so that it will take a beating if/when something happens...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pre tear down estimate puts body damage @ $11,990. I now have the fun task of finding out if all the little parts that went flying are good or not.

I will snap some pictures of the failure points in the upfit package and post them as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Moral of the story.... if you're gonna get hit, try for a small car or van - not a full size tractor! It looks like your bumper didn't get a scratch!

Sorry to hear about your big "hit", but I guess if you're OK, that's the important part.

Ed

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropped the PM off at the body shop, their estimator looked at it and within 30 secs said "i guarantee this is a total" I told them that the insurance estimator didnt seem to think so and his reply was "then he didnt find all the damage"

They are going to look at it Monday and work up their own estimate and see what they come up with.

If they total it and if the price is right I might consider buying it back as a salvage. Seal up the back and use it via the side door only. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's lost the crumple zone, all the built in slack has been wound up tight - glue seams and spot welds partially separated, bolts stretched and lugs oblonged and all that rot.

Now if you could find one that was front end totaled and merge the two, according to ram body builder you can add 10% to the wheel base length... just kidding sort of. I don't think corporate badging on a bent commercial vehicle would be allowed by contract, see fine print - and if it was your personal vehicle I'd be thinking it was a cop magnet with the eight rolls of camo duct tape even if it was for keeping curious snakes/rats/bugs out...

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Dropped the PM off at the body shop, their estimator looked at it and within 30 secs said "i guarantee this is a total" I told them that the insurance estimator didnt seem to think so and his reply was "then he didnt find all the damage"

They are going to look at it Monday and work up their own estimate and see what they come up with.

If they total it and if the price is right I might consider buying it back as a salvage. Seal up the back and use it via the side door only. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Turn it into a pick up truck or car carrier! I'm 100% serious!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Final numbers are in for all your morbid curiosity...

25,115 value inc upfit

Salvage value 11,786

Est from body 19.330 –

So basically i get screwed I put a larger down payment on this beast to give me the monthly payment I wanted and in the end that was a bad choice. Had I financed the whole thing then the GAP insurance would have covered the difference, Since I put down so much the gap not very large on paper but i loose all my down payment.

And on top of all that I bet I cannot get a new van financed with the HUGE hit my credit took last year buying 5 new vehicles....

what a PITA>>>>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So now the question is gas or diesel?
Was getting 18.6 on the gas if i get 21-22 its a 2.5 yr break even on fuel savings.... All about reliability. time to research.

·
Registered
625 Posts
All about reliability.
Wrong.

Its also much about driveability and which one suits your driving style better. Pick the one that makes you smile, that will be worth the relatively small cost differential either way in the long run.

(granted, I only have 400 miles on the van, but I do smile big every time that diesel shift and pulls hard in the next gear)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wrong.

Its also much about driveability and which one suits your driving style better. Pick the one that makes you smile, that will be worth the relatively small cost differential either way in the long run.

(granted, I only have 400 miles on the van, but I do smile big every time that diesel shift and pulls hard in the next gear)

Do you use your van for business or pleasure use? It appears that omextreme operates a business with his vans, so for him (And most other commercial owners) reliability trumps all. If your van isn't operational you're losing business and losing money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you use your van for business or pleasure use? It appears that omextreme operates a business with his vans, so for him (And most other commercial owners) reliability trumps all. If you're van isn't operational you're losing business and losing money.
Completely about reliability for us. Granted I am in the van personally way too much but in the end I need wheels on the ground.

Started my company running a 2008 ram 1500 gas pickup, took it to 499,982 miles in 4 years. total shop time 12 days. 2 Rear end rebuilds, PS rack and finally an engine rebuild @ 430k if memory serves...

That is what i want!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts