Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't bother with pictures because it looks just like all the other white 1500s around...
I got the "suspension" driver seat, an option I have not seen discussed here before - it has an adjustment dial on the right side to compensate for driver weight that I will be figuring out. It is very comfortable so far and it didn't change leg clearance under the steering wheel from the stock seat.

I also got the SiriusXM package and GPS - so far I have not been able to activate the traffic function - a button shows up in the NAV setting window but doesn't do anything. I have a call in to UConnect support but no reply yet.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Does the suspension seat sit any lower? Can it go lower?

I find the regular seat pretty high and those driver eject buttons on the side funny.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have access to a stock van seat right now. From what I remember from my test drive, the seat is about the same height as stock - certainly not higher. It might go a bit lower if I release pressure from the bag, but that might make it too squishy. There is hand clearance for me with the wheel pulled all the way up and I am a large guy.

I am getting all sorts of strange info regarding the Sirius traffic system - Sirius says the installed module will not receive traffic data and it cannot be "fixed" with a software upgrade. The rationale for Ram installing a Sirius unit that does not have the traffic function will have to be figured out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After another half hour on the phone with Sirius, with a different person, they now say traffic CAN be activated (after I pay a $44/year fee) so I went ahead with that - after waiting for an activation signal and re-boot nothing changed. Still no traffic info input to the TomTom display...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've been a Sirius subscriber for years. My traffic comes via Sirius traffic channels, which I don't use because they only cover big cities.

Are you sure Sirius sends data to TomTom? Sounds weird that Sirius would have any connection to TomTom.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if there is or is not a connection between the two systems. According to my salesman (who has been researching the problem simultaneously with me) the way all three systems work together - UConnect, Sirius, and TomTom - is not exactly clear. The software for each system all use the same display window and the hard & soft keys are all there when you turn it on, there seems to be no data input for the TomTom traffic info button, and no way to turn it on, the traffic module for Sirius also does not seem to be in their system. UConnect does not offer any solution - Dodge says it is not their fault. However, traffic does work on other Chrysler UConnect displays - why it does not work for the ProMaster is a big question. Since the only reason I got the SiriusXM was to get live traffic ( San Francisco Bay Area, mostly) I won't be too happy if nothing can be made to work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest info from Ram support - the only thing I can do is have the dealer change the Sirius module (which probably would also be a major change to the wiring harness) to get something that will receive traffic data, but she didn't know if that data would then translate to the TomTom or not.
What was Ram thinking of when they put together the option packages - that someone with a delivery truck wouldn't want live traffic updates in the NAV system? Crazy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
For what its worth I had the traffic feature in my Ram pickup and it was not reliable. Seemed the info it was getting was never accurate. Thats why Im using my android tablet with google maps and navfree now. Works great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Waze and Google Maps a lot on my iPhone, but I have been hit with a few tickets because of using a handheld device (CA has changed the rules a bit on this infraction but it is still can be a pretty costly ticket.) I do drive in areas that do not have great cell coverage, so anything is better than nothing.
I have found some TomTom web support, I sent a question - but it is Euro/UK based and they have no specific links to US vehicles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of the "suspension seat" (if the upload system allows it) - it looks like the stock seat cushions and frame are set on top of a bellows and adjustable air spring assembly. The dial control has a range of about 90 lbs to over 240 lbs, but it takes a lot of turning the knob to get anything to change. I didn't try to remove any covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would have liked to order that option on mine. Unfortunately they won't allow you to have it if you have the passenger double seat. I had to pick which one was more important. My four kids are growing up, but there's still times I need to take some of them along. So the passenger double was a must. I'm still contemplating putting a second row of seats in before building out my plumbing shelves etc. in the back. Problem is 95% of the time the second row would be in the way. Does anyone know if there is someone who makes a removable second row of seats with brackets that are relatively flat to the floor? my van will be used for some moonlight plumbing, some occasional camping and as a daily driver when I'm not in my company truck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check with a van conversion place that does wheel chair conversions. They will have lots of take out seats from new vans of most models that are quite reasonable. May be able to get the floor hardware too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...Does anyone know if there is someone who makes a removable second row of seats with brackets that are relatively flat to the floor? ...
I use 2 standard Ford middle row captains chairs in the back of my E150 instead of the bench. The mounting plates are about 1.5" thick and 14" square. They mount directly to the lower part of the corrugated floor, so with padding and carpet they only stick up about 1/2 inch. Not ideal, but the surface is flat (no fasteners to catch or scratch) and much better than the brackets for a stock bench seat. A bonus is the seat belt buckle is part of the seat, leaving no straps on the floor as with the bench.

Primary advantage of the individual captains chairs for me is I can get from back to front without removing the seats. I can also carry 4x8 sheet goods standing up without removing them. The wheelchair lift is in the way of carrying 4x8 flat on the floor for me anyway. If I do need to remove one or both, they are much smaller to deal with than the bench. I can remove one and put it behind the other (still in the van) leaving 30" clear width to the wheel well. Middle seats are what is normally removed from handicap conversions so they are plentiful.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after several messages back and forth, the end result is that TomTom doesn't support their product anymore if it is used in the UConnect system. Chrysler doesn't support TomTom either - they say to contact TomTom! Chrysler just installs old software (and charges a pretty large fee for doing so) but they will apparently have nothing further to do with it.
So don't order SiriusXM or the NAV options if you are expecting to get traffic data (or any real support from UConnect, Ram, Chrysler Dodge, Sirius, or TomTom.) I hope somebody high up at Chrysler is reading this forum...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts