Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up our new 2014 diesel 3500 Ext in Montreal and drove it back to Halifax to start building a low budget camper that will be convertible to carry passengers. Goal was to get rolling asap, low budget, functional, and very little time for the construction. Thinking about insulation and windows but will use the van for awhile and see what happens. I think for safety there really needs to be a window on the sliding door if you don't have a passenger to see traffic on your right at intersections with a big angle. Van came with the driver seat tilting and lumbar support. Those are great options, you can tilt forward and backward while driving and it greatly changes the weight on your back to reduce fatigue.

First thing I did was purchase last year's model Garmin GPS and ordered a rostra cruise control. Used Kijiji (local online trading) to pick up three, 3-person sprinter seats, (no headrests or floor mounts). Next step was off to our second hand donation store, Value Village, and picked up a card table, hardwood desk (for mounting sink and stove), and toybox to hold a portapottie. I have an old propane heater, stove, and Coleman 5-day cooler from our boat.

The van has factory wood floor and my friend is building an aluminum rail system on top to mount the bed and seats. There will be ultimate flexibility with the rails to mount any size bed and number of seats, in any configuration, facing forward or backward. Rails bolt into the van at the reinforced areas on front bulkhead and rear pillars, then the seats and bed supports bolt into the rails. Rails will be removable in sections to give clear floor area when seats or bed are removed.

Cost to date.
Sprinter Seats $600 for three.
Table $5
Toilet stand /storage $14
Sink, stove unit $20 (solid hardwood)
Camp chair $3
Garmin $100
Cruise control $ 400

Pictures will be posted soon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
sprinter seats bed install

Got the three triple sprinter seats installed plus full double bed. It all comes out with ten bolts. No holes drilled into floor, reused the factory tie down bolts for the front cross brace. Seats can be set up facing front or back , and can add a four person seat in back if the bed is removed. Would like to see a rolling poker game happening with the rambling / gambling / golfing configuration. Bolts are 1/2 " steel, aluminum channel is three inch and 1/4" wall.
First golf trip , with three sprinter seats plus bed installed, and double passenger seat up front, the pm comfortably carried 11 guys with luggage and golf clubs to the airport. Pictures of the aluminum rail system plus stealth camping spot in NYC on my way back north.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts