Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a '15 3500 ext, diesel, with most the options I'm looking for. I can post them later if needed.

MSRP $44790. They got it down to $39012.

It's out of state so I'd need to factor in airfare (I'd ride my motorcycle there and load it in the back if I had more vacation time), diesel for drive back. I can maybe lodge at a friend's overnight along the way, so that would help.

Has anyone done a "fly and drive"?

I could always have them ship it...

I think I may have to keep looking for local deals and see if a slightly higher cost outweighs the extra I'd be spending getting it back to Colorado.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Couple of things: go to truecar.com, configure it exactly as it is (take a pic of the window sticker) and it will spit out the invoice price for that vehicle. You can beat them up for a few bucks off, but you should feel ok about paying invoice for a car.

Chrysler pays $1000 upfitters cash, and they arent picky about who qualifies. They select the shop that does the upfitting, and that shop then overcharges the crap out of you, but $1000 might get you a wood floor and some etrack, or some shelves or speakers or some such.

My own feeling is the extra 15" isnt worth the price, and that means you can get a 2500 instead of a 3500. Its been discussed to death here, but even if theres a difference it probably isnt worth the dough. I dont like to say it for fear of people getting mad, but the diesel isnt as realiable as the gas engine. Fuel prices favor the diesel right now, but a year ago they were almost twice as much. Fuel aside, repairs are cheap and easy on the gasser, but a diesel repair will wipe out your fuel savings. Read EVERYTHING on this forum, and youll know everything there is to know about the pm.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've done fly and drive twice and really enjoyed it. It's not like the old days where airlines gouged you for one way tickets. It's half of round trip now. I paid only about $250 each time to to fly from MI to TX. You just need to make sure you won't get screwed paying sales tax twice. States vary. Also, you might not be smog exempt for 5 years if your vehicle wasn't originally delivered to CO. That might only be a Denver thing though, or not apply to diesel.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's not a bad deal, given that it's a 2015. I haven't got a Promaster yet but I shop constantly. I've come across a few dealers where a fly and drive would be very worth while. I've seen $6K to $9K off of list price on 2014's, and up to $6K off on the 2015's. There are some deals out there.

If you found one close to what you want, go get it. If I have to travel to get mine when the time comes, I'll throw a wheel chock and some tie downs on the back seat of one of my bikes with my cot and some clothes in the panniers, then ride there, load up, drive home and sleep in the cot in the van in a state park campground to save money.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
$crew the vacation.... I'd ride and drive. Life gives us opportunities to have adventures and this is one! If you mean an F650 Dakar the trip will be great. I rode my 650GS from Arizona to NH last spring and I wouldn't have missed it for the World. Thats one awesome little single!

·
Registered
552 Posts
$crew the vacation.... I'd ride and drive. Life gives us opportunities to have adventures and this is one! If you mean an F650 Dakar the trip will be great. I rode my 650GS from Arizona to NH last spring and I wouldn't have missed it for the World. Thats one awesome little single!
I agree with RD. My wife just turned 40,000 on her Dakar and I'm bumping up against 90,000 on my R1200GSA. Make an adventure out of it. If it was too far to do a fly and ride then I would look at having it shipped. If you have to fly and then travel 3 or 4 days to come home, shipping might be cheaper. Plus, you don't have to have anyone grope you or have to drop your pants in a public place so the ex con TSA agent can make sure you are trustworthy enough to get on the plane. Flying used to be a privilege. Now it's a cattle car in the sky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I do have leave days at work I could use with my weekend and ride to get it.

I did have an '05 Dakar and the name on Adventure Rider stuck. Since '07 I've been riding my '06 KTM 950 Adventure S. Only 23000 miles but I love it.

I also thought about flying up with the wife and kid and driving back. We'd need a seat installed for his car seat. Not sure how that would work. Buy a seat, ship it to a fabricator, mount it, drive home. This would permit my wife seeing earlier-mentioned friends, too. They're her old roomates. But this is probably more hassle than it's worth.

As for the 2500/3500 ext, I am not 100% set either way. I know there are pros and cons to each besides the price difference. 15" extra is 15" extra, but I am sure I can make a 159 ext floorplan fit in a 159 with tweaking.

Thanks for the replies and tips, I will keep searching locally just to compare.

Nick

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
Get the deal in writing and take it to all local dealers and have them match. Problem will be finding one local with same options. The only reason to fly and drive would be if the deal was too good to beat anywhere or it was a rare color/option van that you could only get by ordering. I flew to Dallas and drove back to San Diego but that was because it was a used 3500 that was a deal I could not pass up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's a good deal, but after factoring in the airfare, fuel & time, maybe it's worth another $1000 to buy locally? The extra space is expensive, but I got the extended too.
Does everyone on this forum have motorcycles? DR650, 2 WR250R's . I just got back from 2 weeks in Utah. I'll post some pics when I get some time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Between my wife and I ..... R1200GS Adv, F650GS Dakar, R100GS BumbleBee with Sputnick Sidecar, R80g/s, TW200, KLR250, XT225, Hawk GT, CBR929, Gas Gas TXT 280 Trials, Beta 125 Rev3 Trials.

Yeah, it's a sickness... but we both work in the motorcycle industry so it's normal for us.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Theres no difference between a 2014 and 2015 tgat i know of. Thats a handy lever to beat up a dealer with.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Between my wife and I ..... R1200GS Adv, F650GS Dakar, R100GS BumbleBee with Sputnick Sidecar, R80g/s, TW200, KLR250, XT225, Hawk GT, CBR929, Gas Gas TXT 280 Trials, Beta 125 Rev3 Trials.

Yeah, it's a sickness... but we both work in the motorcycle industry so it's normal for us.
After the van conversion is paid for I'll have time to search Craig's list for additions! I'm so embarrassed to only have 4 but in my defense my wife doesn't ride. My Dad was a Triumph dealer back in the day, it's an affliction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealers delivery afar

Apparently my local Promaster dealer in AZ can order a built Promaster and have it delivered at another Promaster dealer in a different state. The dealers would work out a split in the delivery fee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts