Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be leaving warm, sunny New England in just a few days for a cross country trip to the West Coast in search of even more warmth and sun.

We’ll be driving I 84 to I 81 then I 40 to Memphis where I will most likely pick up the Natchez Trace Trail South to Baton Rouge where I’ll pick up I I0 to San Antonio and then on to Big Bend NP back up to I 10 to Tucson and then a few days of R & R at RD’s famous Hacienda and Taqueria in AZ. Next, it will be off to spend time at some BLM campsites and on to San Diego where we will pick up I 6 and the PCH (CA1) stopping at points North along the way (avoiding LA as much as possible) until we end up in the Napa/Sonoma area then back home by March first.

It should be a good extended workout for the ol’ Promaster!

Any suggestions members may have about where to stop, stay, eat, not stop, eat or stay are more than welcome. So many members seem to live on the West Coast it would be nice to meet up with anyone that has the time and compare our conversions.

It also has occurred to me some of you may have an extra parking spot in your driveway that you might be willing to offer up for a night. I know that personally I have a large, private, flat back yard at my home with power and water that anyone traveling East is more than welcome to stay at overnight or for several days. I’m located about half way between Boston and Portland Maine within a few miles of the ocean. While winter isn’t exactly a great time to visit here, in mild weather it’s pretty popular.

Perhaps we should consider a Promaster owners database of members willing and able to host other owners while traveling?

Feel free to PM me with any info and i will get back to you ASAP. Sometimes the PM list here doesn’t exactly work as quickly as it should so if you don’t hear back from me in a short time feel free to try again.

KOV

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Wonder what the Big Bend folks think with this sudden influx of PM's. :laugh:

Be sure to taste a big bowl of gumbo in Lafayette or Lake Charles. But be aware that this time of year, the South can have vicious ice on the roads.

If you happen to go home via I40 through Oklahoma, I'm two hours' north. We will be headed to NH in the fall--stepson lives in Hudson next door to Nashua.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a great trip. Wonder what the Big Bend folks think with this sudden influx of PM's. :laugh:

If you happen to go home via I40 through Oklahoma, I'm two hours' north. We will be headed to NH in the fall--stepson lives in Hudson next door to Nashua.
Ha, ha! If we take I 40 home (weather permitting) I may take you up on that! Either way please do stop and visit next Fall I'm only an hour from Hudson! We could have a mini Promaster rendezvous if RD can make it:laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
440 Posts
MsNomer - I will be travelling from Little Rock to Calgary Alberta in early June. I am looking for a stopover on the way to Colorado. Are you on the way? When I did this last summer, I stopped at a place called Bell Cow park and it wasn't very nice.

I offer my farm for a stopover though not sure if electricity will be on. Boxley is about an hour north of I-40.
http://upperbuffaloriver.com/

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
I am an hour south of Wichita, 15 miles east of I35, so I could be, depending on your route. It's about 8.5 hours here to Denver. You'd be welcome if we're home. If we're not, I can steer you to some place better than a cow bell park.

(Actually, it's Bell Cow Park that I had never heard of til I looked it up. Yeah, if you came that way, I'm convenient.)

Hey, I'm liking this thread. :D

Zwarte, you are not too far from Magazine Mountain where we were last week. Stopping your way some day could be a real possibility.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
Hi KOV,
I guess this is not on your planned route, but you might consider swinging up to Sacramento on the return trip and driving back east on US hwy 50 -- say over to Utah.

Its the best of the west!

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I can host PM camping in the adjacent lot to us which we own. No services but lots of sun, quiet small town between Gila Bend and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. I do have a saguaro on the lot but it is young only 20 feet tall and no arms yet. BLM camping nearby too. Campground at OPCNM too, lots of options. PM for details.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That extra parking spot... A very exclusive and cool gift to give select* fellow enthusiasts.

This is known as "Courtesy Parking" in the Airstream Community... With Airstreams those long trailer & tow vehicle combinations give rural folks the advantage for a hassle-free stop over - would be a larger layover selection available for the conversion van crowd for sure, safe* urban locations and activities...

It's a chance to either unwind or chase loose ends, repairs & servicing, share upkeep wisdom (airstreams are needy) or share travel advice and gossip, recipes, or conspire a next seasons rendezvous...

On my 100' wide city lot I can't offer courtesy parking w/o making lifelong enemies but it IS a great idea that needs to be soberly approached!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey KOV, I'm originally from Memphis, and the biggest attraction is the BBQ. Everyone will tell you to go to the Rendezvous. Unless you just crave dry tough ribs, skip it. One of the best BBQ joints is directly off I-40 Exit #16 , south 7.5 miles to the RR tracks. The Germantown Commissary. You can't go wrong with anything there. i know, i grew up in Germantown and went to high school with the owner. You won't be able to get on the Natchez Trace in Memphis, it starts here in Nashville, runs SW though Tupelo and Jackson, then on to Natchez. It's a gorgeous drive. When I get the PM outfitted I plan to drive it to go to Hattiesburg to see my Grand-kids. Let me know if you come through Nashville,

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I just noted that in my Road Food directory. I want to add "Paps" on main street in Ackerman MS about 9 miles off the trace. Southern soul food served Buffet style. Where else can you get all the fried catfish you can heap on as many times as you like! I could go on.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
The Natchez Trace is beautiful, less so in Winter, but it may get boring. If you stay on it, you will miss the local culture. I grew up between Vicksburg and Natchez in a culture that no longer exists. Remnants of it remain around Port Gibson.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi KOV,
I guess this is not on your planned route, but you might consider swinging up to Sacramento on the return trip and driving back east on US hwy 50 -- say over to Utah.

Its the best of the west!

Gary
Maybe in the Summer Gary! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That extra parking spot... A very exclusive and cool gift to give select* fellow enthusiasts.

This is known as "Courtesy Parking" in the Airstream Community... With Airstreams those long trailer & tow vehicle combinations give rural folks the advantage for a hassle-free stop over - would be a larger layover selection available for the conversion van crowd for sure, safe* urban locations and activities...

It's a chance to either unwind or chase loose ends, repairs & servicing, share upkeep wisdom (airstreams are needy) or share travel advice and gossip, recipes, or conspire a next seasons rendezvous...

On my 100' wide city lot I can't offer courtesy parking w/o making lifelong enemies but it IS a great idea that needs to be soberly approached!
Ah yes - the old 100' wide lot and HOA restrictions problem ;(

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey KOV, I'm originally from Memphis, and the biggest attraction is the BBQ. Everyone will tell you to go to the Rendezvous. Unless you just crave dry tough ribs, skip it. One of the best BBQ joints is directly off I-40 Exit #16 , south 7.5 miles to the RR tracks. The Germantown Commissary. You can't go wrong with anything there. i know, i grew up in Germantown and went to high school with the owner. You won't be able to get on the Natchez Trace in Memphis, it starts here in Nashville, runs SW though Tupelo and Jackson, then on to Natchez. It's a gorgeous drive. When I get the PM outfitted I plan to drive it to go to Hattiesburg to see my Grand-kids. Let me know if you come through Nashville,
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
754 Posts
the old 100' wide lot and HOA restrictions problem
Oh sure, call me out on that whydontcha.

No, I have 56' feet worth of two Airstream project trailers out back plus a tarp shelter garage & old wagon shed trying to fall down...

I was speaking of my guests! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Keeponvanning,
I'm home for the holidays after living in my (extremely basic compared to most on this forum) van conversion for 5 months. You probably already know this but Wall-Mart parking lots are usually good options - but maybe not in big cities. I'm from Houston and the thought of staying in a Wall-Mart parking lot here is mighty scary. Also, rest stops are good. Not sure if you plan on spending too much time in Houston but I could give you some ideas on places to eat at/see. I *might* be able to offer a driveway in the burbs. I'd be up for comparing conversions but my van is in the shop and I just got a not so good call about it today. They think there is a problem with the transmission (at 43k miles) and I need $600 worth of new brakes and $500 in new tires, which is what brought me back to this forum again.
Anyhow, the big dark cloud of today's news aside, I really really enjoyed my time in the van and exploring this beautiful country - I hope you and your wife do too.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the heads up TG! I only plan on driving thru Houston to San Antonio and then on to Big Bend NP. I'm leaving Wednesday and most likely won't be in the Houston area till a few days after Xmas but I will keep your kind offer in mind!

I hope your transmission problem isn't serious and they can fix it under warrantee for you. $600 for new brake pads and rotors all around isn't unreasonable but a local shop could most likely do it for less and just as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
KOV, when are you going to be down in Big bend? I think I'll be down there sometime around jan 10 or 15.
RD, I'll be passing thru your area too. Should i be concerned about safety in the organ pipe NM or the wildlife refuge?

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably get to BB around Dec 30 to Jan 2nd or 3rd timeframe. No real schedule yet but I'm leaving home on the 23rd

1 - 20 of 38 Posts