Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I realize my inability to dive deeper than the first few pages of a search result may prove to bite me here I will pose this question anyway. I have decided to go the non-conventional route on my slider door window and install a window smaller than the size of the factory cutout. My question is this, what to do about the vertical support in the slider panel? Whereas all the other potential openings are supported by removable-ish pillars the slider support is integrated into the interior skin. My instinct says to dadoe the wood-frame shim I'll be adding where the support would otherwise negate a smooth flat surface. Anyone installed something similar or contemplated doing so? Comments, laughs, finger pointing appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I and many others here have installed windows in the slider and we all have had to cut that center support out. I have not seen anyone say they had anything negative happen. My Motion windows are inset about 1" and the frame attaches to just the exterior skin. No issues @ 15,000 miles.

Reactions: dnelsonid

·
Registered
468 Posts
I resupported mine by glueing in 2x3's from top to bottom when installing the window. I also pulled the sheet metal in a bit so my window sits flush all the way around on the outside, the problem with this is from the right angle you can see that the sheet metal dents in around the window not a big deal for me as it was more important to me not to have a big gap at the top or bottom of the window since the van is slightly curved. ill try to capture this in a picture. but for now here is a few I had on the computer already. the 1st picture is of the driver side but I did the same thing on the sliding door I also added wood on the top and bottom to just for extra support.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts