Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw where you can buy a goal zero prewiring kit. Is it worth the cost? is there other places to buy something like that at a decent price? This one was over $1500. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,400 Posts
Generally I’m against buying these sorts of proprietary electrical systems (much cost vs smaller benefit) when compared to designing and installing your own van electrical system.

However, that depends upon your ability & courage. This forum is fantastic for providing knowledge & support so you can gain the courage to DIY. If you DIY you will learn & be able to perform your own, diagnostic, maintenance, & repairs.

If you “saw” a GZ prewire kit, please post the website on here so we all can review it & provide our opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally I’m against buying these sorts of proprietary electrical systems (much cost vs smaller benefit) when compared to designing and installing your own van electrical system.

However, that depends upon your ability & courage. This forum is fantastic for providing knowledge & support so you can gain the courage to DIY. If you DIY you will learn & be able to perform your own, diagnostic, maintenance, & repairs.

If you “saw” a GZ prewire kit, please post the website on here so we all can review it & provide our opinion.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,400 Posts
A very quick review, my answer is NO;

This is pretty much just connectors & cables with some (assuming proprietary GZ connectors)

I do not know if they include the 12v panel?

I have no idea of your electrical needs, but if you add this kit & a GZ unit I’m guessing you are about $ 3,000 USA dollars. You still have to install it & terminate wires at the load ends. As far as I could see there is no wires included from the 12v panel to the loads?

When the GZ batteries crap out can you just replace the batteries & a reasonable price?

Is there a reason why you would not DIY electrical?

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,400 Posts
If you have not seen it yet, this is a good thread on an inexpensive electrical system.

Pricing based upon 2017 era I believe USA dollars.

Not what I did & I’m Canadian so pricing is different, but food for thought.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks for bumping my thread. I also built a 50 A-H LiFePO electrical system in a toolbox that has most of those cables. I have a shore charger, vehicle charger, solar input to Anderson Powepoles, SAE 30 amp output, USB outputs, a cigar plug output at 30 amps, a good SOC meter, main shut off, it is fully fused, etc.

My cost was about $650. I could write up the end product like I did the $500 solar and $700 complete electrical system. I think it is better than a 650 watt hour commercial unit. It is working great!

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster, Tx
100 Posts
That would not be worth the cost IMHO. I wired a Blue Sea fuse block to a GZ1400 to fans, lights, outlets, and a Dometic for way under a 1/3 of that.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
147 Posts
My friend just wired up a Yeti 1500X into our friend's Sprinter for ~$2200, which is not much more than I paid for two Battle Born 100Ah LifePOs, and definitely less considering my separate DC-AC inverter, AC charger, and DMT-1250 alternator/solar charger. The integration, quality control, testing, and features of this system make it an alternative I'd likely have gone with if it was available when I started my build and I knew then what I know now. She's running lights, audio, fan, water pump, Dometic fridge, and an AC induction cooktop off its 2000W invertor with no problems yet. She hasn't gotten solar wired in yet, so she's only charging from shore power, and our friend may have wired up the alternator too (not sure). It certainly was easy enough to buy the right connectors and wire and fuse block off of Amazon for him to whip it together in about three days. Even the wireless app integration and having a battery meter where you don't have to screw around with shunts seems worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I am concerned the Yeti’s 500 recharge cycles will come back to bite many. 500 cycles seems like a lot but remember that even FLA batteries discharged to 10% SOC will last 500 cycles! The biggest benefit of the Yeti is for portability and at about 50 lbs for the 1500 it is not that portable. Fitting less expensive batteries and quality components into your van as many have done here could save >$1000 and have a longer lived system. It isnt as though you don’t have to build a system with the Yetti as you need input from solar, shore, and vehicle and it isn’t that convenient to just plug everything into that Yeti under a bench so a system of various outlets in the van is still needed. As a 50 pound item it needs to be secured somewhere too. I am not against these things but at least find one with a LiFePO battery to get the 3000 life cycles. My WATTBOX with half the power of the Yeti 1500 was one third the price and for half the Yeti’s price I could have built one with as much storage, 6 times the lifetime, more ports, and the same weight. This is not rocket science and everything you need is easily available. Do you want it in a box? If I were building one for a van I would probably dispense with that and just build it in a cabinet.
Here again DIY from simple and available components makes a lot ot sense.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,400 Posts
RD’s post #10 makes a lot of sense to me.

We do not need our van batteries portable, so others may have different needs. Then again if we did need portable batteries I would probably build a “WATTBOX” with replaceable lithium batteries. I would go lithium only for the weight vs AHR. Caveat with the lithium would be I would have to dig deep into the science of charging lithium (this was a turn off for me in 2018).

I feel that I know very little about batteries, & there are many on here that know even less than me.

@Lindarado

That “prewire kit” with connectors is listed @ $1,600. If I am reading this correctly the $1,600 gets you wires and connectors. This kit excludes the 12v panel (fuse box), & distribution wire to the loads “as far as I can tell. So you basically get a wiring harness that plugs into your GZ & some bare ends at the various lengths of wires.

Does anything else come with that kit?
How much & what model of GZ box did you buy or are you planning to buy?
Do you need portability or are you just not wanting to build your own?

For example; I purchased a 100’ roll of marine grade wire 12 ga (red & black) for my distribution wiring for $100.
My marine grade 30 Amp shore power exterior plug was $100
My 10ga 3 conductor marine grade with from my shore plug to my panel was under $25 IIRC
I do not have solar in my van, but you can buy pre-made ends at a reasonable price.
To charge a non lithium battery, I estimate $30 for a manual switch “solenoid“ & less that $100 of cable chassis ground (I had the marine shop crimp the ends of my cables for a nominal charge).

If you are going the GZ route, I do not see the value of this wire kit with connectors.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Charging Lithium can be made simple. My WATTBOX has a 5 amp shore powered charger that is built and rated for charging LiFePO batteries, simple! I also have a Renogy 10 amp solar controller with a circuitry setting to charge Lithium. Both are programed to “wake up” a lithium battery if the BMS has shut it down. My last chance charging is a cigar lighter socket to SAE cord to charge directly from the alternator fused at 15 amps. I considered a B to B charger but felt I could get by w/o it. Being LiFePO I wanted to limit the charge rate to about .2C
See:

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
147 Posts
@RDinNHandAZ, great points! I probably have more charging capability now than opportunity to discharge my BBs (sigh). And yeah, after he got everything built in (as a friendly favor, mind you), she asked if he could mount it higher up so she can store things underneath... he simply unscrewed its two makeshift floor brackets and said, "Sure, go ahead and hold it up while I build a cabinet under it for you." ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts