Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the FWD and the wide straight walls of the PM. I also admit the looks no longer bother me, and in fact I think it is a bit endearing.

However, I will say if you go and configure a Transit on the Ford site, you'll find, what appears to me, as a very configurable product and a company that knows how to release a commercial vehicle. There are many options, sizes (low/long is available), you can even option full windows on a work van. Built in brake controller, aux switches, etc. The 15 psnger van is even available with a full interior (crew version still not available though...). Price seems about the same. Even has TILT on the wheel...

Ram/PM should take note, though I guess we'll see how baked this is when they actually start delivery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
{I like the FWD and the wide straight walls of the PM. I also admit the looks no longer bother me, and in fact I think it is a bit endearing.} I totally agree. When I first saw the promaster I thought man what a great work truck but quite ugly. Now after owning one for a while I think, man what a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So are you guys regretting your decision to go with the Promaster? I think that the Ford Transit looks like a great vehicle too, but I don't think that the Promaster is butt ugly or anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regretting????? NOT at all Maybe I was not clear enough. I like my 1500 promaster as much as I lile my vette. I am trying to get my brother who is in the same business as I am to buy a promaster also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I special ordered a Transit Connect last September and eventually asked for my refund back and gave on it in January. Dealer was not able to obtain the status on it and they finally trickled in the city last month.. I worked on a couple last week and really liked the new design, BUT I love my Promaster. Everything about this van is great, with the exception of the seats.. :)

I just drove it 1800 kms from Vancouver to Ft. McMurray, thing drove great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find the Transit sizing to be a bit odd, though. The middle height van is not tall enough inside, and the wheelbase choices are either too long or too short.
Otherwise, they do have an impressive list of options available.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here is what I think is nice about the Ford Transit:
Option for interior trim and sound deadening in cargo bay
Seating option in cargo bay
The flip window within a slide door window (the 2015 FIAT Ducato has this but not PM)

Things I don't like:
RWD
Interior headroom, only the highest roof offers 6+ feet of headroom
'Swoopy styling'
Long overhangs front and rear (front to accommodate front engine/RWD architecture)

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
So are you guys regretting your decision to go with the Promaster? I think that the Ford Transit looks like a great vehicle too, but I don't think that the Promaster is butt ugly or anything.
Why would I regret driving and enjoying life in my PM? Haven't seen a Ford Transit on the road yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't purchased anything yet, though if there was a 159 PM, dark silver, slider with glass, mostly loaded interior within 200 miles of my house, I'd likely have jumped in. Since I haven't bought anything yet, I'm still collecting data...because, well, that's how my mind works.

Transit Likes:
- Towing option
- Brake controller
- A vehicle that seems to have towing included as an intended use, not a side use or afterthought
- Cool pop out windows
- Really nice, Ford car-like interior. Looks non-commercial (I'm non commercial)
- Leather option
- Aux button options
- Looks like better viability for a tall person (me)
- Outside styling - It's not bad. More Sprinter like...thats fin my me
- Engine options - Eco boost seems very interesting.
- Some seating options w/ interiors
- Rear A/C etc.
- 148 med roof is has just 2.5 inches less interior length than PM
- Proven 6 speed tranny (the mini van tranny that I've heard EVERYONE replace is the same one that is in the PM? How can that be?)

Dislikes:
- 9 inches higher step in? Ugh
- Only 6 foot ceiling in med roof? Ugh, can't stand up straight
- MPG - in comparing the two ford engine options and looking at RAM/Ford truck data I'm willing to bet the Ford will get worse MPG. I LOVE the MPG people are seeing with the PM

·
Registered
512 Posts
I saw one in the flesh at a ford dealer in Upland CA. They were doing dealer training with it. First off it doesnt look much better than the PM, and it seems way to narrow. No room for a bunk across the van, like I have in my PM.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My List

Transit Likes:
-Ford reputation
-More options

Dislikes:
-Eco-Boost. I've owned 3 turbos in cars. I'm sick to death of turbo lag.
-Ugly proportions. Pinocchio nose and high forehead.
-RWD
-Can't stand up inside without buying the extra ugly tall version
-Microsoft inside. My wife's Ford doesn't start when you turn the key. Instead, you wait 1,2, 3 seconds for computer to boot, then engine turns over. Scary stuff, knowing Microsoft is inside deciding when my vehicle starts.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't like the chrome grill.
Do like the diesels 350ftlb torque, vs 300ftlb of FIAT
The twin turbo V-6 gasser makes 400ftlb. Imagine if RAM puts turbo(s) on the PM? Real towing capacity.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Amount of effort in roll out may predict

I couldn't understand why the rollout and promotion etc...was so modest until you factor in who owns Chrysler. Just look at the FIAT Ducato sites, how hard would it be to duplicate what already exists? I believe the limited amount of effort and resources used in the rollout, sales & promotion of the Promaster as compared to the Ford or Sprinter is due to limiting the investment in a line that might not be carried in the future. USA is chump change in relation to FIATS world wide sales. Fiat could sell Chrysler corp. whenever it wants since they are only selling cargo vans and 500's connected to fiat at some of the dealerships. Given our flat economy, ever growing and changing EPA regs, political corruption, it might be prudent for them to keep a few eggs at home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I couldn't understand why the rollout and promotion etc...was so modest until you factor in who owns Chrysler. Just look at the FIAT Ducato sites, how hard would it be to duplicate what already exists? I believe the limited amount of effort and resources used in the rollout, sales & promotion of the Promaster as compared to the Ford or Sprinter is due to limiting the investment in a line that might not be carried in the future. USA is chump change in relation to FIATS world wide sales. Fiat could sell Chrysler corp. whenever it wants since they are only selling cargo vans and 500's connected to fiat at some of the dealerships. Given our flat economy, ever growing and changing EPA regs, political corruption, it might be prudent for them to keep a few eggs at home.
Except......Jeep is driving Fiat's sales overall. Jeep sales in Europe are strong, and it seems that Fiat bought Chrysler to gain the Jeep brand as well as SUV platforms. So the NA market is not necessarily a focus for Fiat sales, but Chrysler products overall are important to their overall goal to compete with VW worldwide.

Sorry to go OT - back to the Transit discussion. I think Ford is putting a larger effort behind the Transit launch. Hopefully Chrysler will make changes for 2015 and crank up the marketing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts