Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor has it that GM could be selling rebadged Peugeot Boxer vans in the US. The Boxer is a rebadged Fiat Ducato which will be sold stateside rebadged as the Ram Promaster.

If that's the case is there preference between the GM or Ram models?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Strange thing...they have a joint venture with Renault and Nissan for the Renault Master/Opel Movano/Nissan Interstar. A very good vehicle. Probably shipping the Master overseas from Europe is too expensive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would also like to see more info on the GM rumor, this is the first time im hearing of GM and Chrysler/Fiat doing a partnership like this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe some of the details of the rumor got confused, and the rumor is really that GM is going to sell a version of the Movano here in the US. It would make sense for GM to do that, since their Express/Savana van has received only minor upgrades since MY1996 (just a few years newer than the soon-to-be-retired E-series).

Another spin would be that Nissan would bring that vehicle over here as the NV400. This is just my conjecture; I did not hear a rumor to this effect. I'd buy one of those before I bought that hideously ugly NV van Nissan started selilng to us 'mericans a few years ago.

·
Registered
465 Posts
GM's relationship with Peugeot is going down the tubes so I don't think we'll see that happen.
Not having checked anything out, but what does Opel sell in this large van segment?

The more I read and watch videos about the PM, it's clear that the PM we have is a very heavily modified for the better version of the Ducato. More using the Ducato as a model rather than making a close copy of it. And I'm sure as time goes on, it will drift even farther away

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chris;20329 Another spin would be that Nissan would bring that vehicle over here as the NV400. This is just my conjecture; I did not hear a rumor to this effect. I'd buy one of those before I bought that hideously ugly NV van Nissan started selilng to us 'mericans a few years ago.[/QUOTE said:
There are a few rumblings on GM websites about possible Euro vans. I think the NV400/Movano, is the likely vehicle since they already will be selling the NV200 & Opel sells a version (Movano) in Europe.
The van has an extremely broad range of configurations, FWD, RWD, single & dual rear wheels so fitting a GM power train into it should work.
I agree the current NV Cargo is about the most cumbersome, hideous looking vehicle on the road, the NV400 would be a huge improvement for Nissan US if they decide to go that route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are a few rumblings on GM websites about possible Euro vans. I think the NV400/Movano, is the likely vehicle since they already will be selling the NV200 & Opel sells a version (Movano) in Europe.
The van has an extremely broad range of configurations, FWD, RWD, single & dual rear wheels so fitting a GM power train into it should work.
For the RWD versions it would be easy to fit the 4-cylinder 2.8L Duramax already available in overseas markets. Well, I must confess I'd like to see a Movano with the Vortec 5300 :D

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
GM selling a clone of the Promaster? I don't think Fiat would let that happen. That would start a war between Renault and Fiat in Europe and, clearly Renault would loose. Even in France, the original Ducato sells more than the Renault Boxer.

Na, I bet GM will stick a long time with it's Savana/Express for the conservative market, that's still huge in North-Amercia

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
If they want a join venture with Renault, they should go with the Trafic, that would sit just between the PM and the smaller Transit Connect:

·
Registered
55 Posts
GM selling a clone of the Promaster? I don't think Fiat would let that happen. That would start a war between Renault and Fiat in Europe and, clearly Renault would loose. Even in France, the original Ducato sells more than the Renault Boxer.

Na, I bet GM will stick a long time with it's Savana/Express for the conservative market, that's still huge in North-Amercia
The Renault van is not based on the same layout of the Ducato/ProMaster. The Boxer is a Peugeot product, the Renault full-size Euro van is called Master. Well, since it's already offered by GM in Europe, rebadged as Opel Movano.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing