Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
224 Posts
I think I found the water cover! $102.25 - $118 w/shipping

I am in NH and my van is in AZ. Anyone want to buy/confirm this fits?
We don’t want the “sound cover” #68284344AA

There is a “module cover" too.
Think we might need the ball stud also sounds like a mounting point.
Mopar Part No.: 68226944AA
BALL STUD

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Great video HVAC. Hard to believe that "water ingress" (as brits say it) was not dealt with before vans were released. Companies get sued for much less...

Reactions: HVAC1957

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dad's van had a glow plug service warning pop up two weeks ago, so he took it in to the service department of the Ram dealership. They told him that a glow plug had gone bad and that to replace all 4 was going to be $800 ish. Last week they told him that the plugs were seized and that they would have to remove the head to try and get them out. Today, they said they couldn't remove them and that now they have to replace the head as well as all the plugs, etc and that the new estimate is $4600. Ouch!! Dads van is a 2015 2500 ecodiesel with 110,000 miles. Is this something that others are experiencing and can preventive maintenance be done (like removing the plug and putting anti-seize goop on the threads)so that I don't experience this same fate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the design of engine hold water by the glow plugs I have same issue as I text this engine sucks as soon as I get it fix I will sell it Dodge should do something about this design..

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
Actually this is typical,of glow plugs in most diesels and has nothing to do with water. Carbon build up on the tip of the plug prevents removal and causes the breakage. Most manufacturers have a "tool" to solve this very removal problem but for some reason FCA has dropped the ball.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ems
Yes the design of engine hold water by the glow plugs I have sa me issue as I text this engine sucks as soon as I get it fix I will sell it Dodge should do something about this design..
Your right Oscar it's a terrible design the last glow plug failure I had they replaced the glow plug harness also because of corrosion. Here's a link to a mechanic's video he explains the issues

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks KOV, that's good info and you're right. It's silly that a single plug removal likely results in enough damage as to require replacement of the entire head. Or in my case, head x2. Based on the technician's transcript of my glow plug/head/cv assembly/injector repair it appears that he found corrosion on many of the parts (plug, c/v assembly, injectors and transmission bolts) that were inevitably replaced. I assume some of those can be chalked up to elemental corrosion but the location of others makes me wonder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your right Oscar it's a terrible design the last glow plug failure I had they replaced the glow plug harness also because of corrosion. Here's a link to a mechanic's video he explains the issues

Yes thanks I see many videos this was one of them and 2 glow plugs are out an replace I will probably end up buying the head because the other 2 are grill in still not coming out any idea the exact name of the head where the glow plugs are..?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Glow Plugs are in front you can't really see them with the sound cover in place What year is your van, miles?

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
I just looked at mine by taking the sound cover off after several days of rain (yea it can happen in the Sonoran Desert!) and found them fairly dry. There is a weep hole to allow water out the driver’s side of the head. I sprayed mine with a water repeller JIC.
IMG_0406.jpeg

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just looked at mine by taking the sound cover off after several days of rain (yea it can happen in the Sonoran Desert!) and found them fairly dry. There is a weep hole to allow water out the driver’s side of the head. I sprayed mine with a water repeller JIC.
View attachment 62157
Those are the injectors RD the engine has a slight tilt forward the weep hole helps but doesn't fully drain the injector valley the glow plugs are in the front maybe Oscar can send you a better picture of the glow plugs

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Thanks for the correction! Oh I thought that was a picture of the Injectors it was too dark and small to tell and I didn’t read carefully! I do know the injectors would have fuel lines attached and the glow plugs just wires. Brain Fart!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the correction! Oh I thought that was a picture of the Glow Plugs it was too dark and small to tell and I didn’t read carefully! I do know the injectors would not have fuel lines attached. Brain Fart!
That valley holds water even with that weep hole because of the forward tilt of the engine since I put the plastic cover over the motor their hasn't been any water in the valley after raining I wish I would have done that sooner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts