61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Yea, Kip’s the MAN!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Van is done and seems to be running well. Major work though...take a look at the doc from the dealer. I got a free oil and coolant change! Let's hope this lasts for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
224 Posts
Van is done and seems to be running well. Major work though...take a look at the doc from the dealer. I got a free oil and coolant change! Let's hope this lasts for a while.
Been there too
Didn't have any problems for over two years after this work was performed then had another glow plug failure this time they supposedly drilled out and extracted the broken plug so far so good. I haven't had time to pull off the engine cover and verify the glow plug repair yet. Keep an eye on your coolant level and next oil change send a sample in to Blackstone for analysis. Sorry for the sideways pic it's making me dizzy to0.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
If it starts easily there may be a problem with the BCM. Search for BCM glow plug problems and you will find that the glow plug error is a common false error that is thrown by the BCM when it is not functioning properly. Some of the issues that I found on searching this problem were resolved by reprogramming the BCM. Some apparently required that either just the BCM or both the BCM and PCM had to be replaced. Something to check out before going to the extreme of replacing the head. I currently have just had a brand new engine put in my 14 3500 EcoDiesel because of glow plug errors that may have been false as I never had any problem starting the vehicle.
[/QUOTE]

So I have been reading up on a UK site (fiat forum). There are complaints about glow plug error codes and interesting to see that the UK site posts have found the error code is often due to electrical errors/bad connections related to poor drainage under the hood etc rather than an actual failure of the glow plug as Mtngirl5 suggested!! Further, I could not find any issues with replacing stuck glow plugs or a UK for source extraction kits....hmm. Could it possibly be the our Ram dealers are misdiagnosing the problem? Anyone with this issue actually tested their "faulty" glow plug before attempting extraction?

Reactions: HVAC1957

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
sorry for confusion - I don't post a lot - and I meant to quote the first paragraph of my previous post!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the BCM heads up. I’ll make sure they check that before they get my van in the air. You’d think that would percolate through service. You’d think.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Been scouring the UK Ducato websites to help a friend with a glow plug issue. Apparently moisture (esp in wet climates) and related "water ingress" from the front cowl (below windshield I assume) can cause corrosion issues on glow plugs 3 and 4. In this case an extraction tool may not help unless done by an expert (of which there are few here and NOT at the dealer). So I would be cautious about approving glow plug extraction unless it is really proven necessary. Is it actually starting poorly in cold weather or just an error code?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Been scouring the UK Ducato websites to help a friend with a glow plug issue. Apparently moisture (esp in wet climates) and related "water ingress" from the front cowl (below windshield I assume) can cause corrosion issues on glow plugs 3 and 4. In this case an extraction tool may not help unless done by an expert (of which there are few here and NOT at the dealer). So I would be cautious about approving glow plug extraction unless it is really proven necessary. Is it actually starting poorly in cold weather or just an error code?
After 2 issues with glow plug failures I made a plastic shield to cover the top of the engine . The water leaking in hard to stop the last issue was with number 2 glow plug. Water leaks in where the center cowl joint is and also the fresh air intake connection joint under the hood right above the motor. This time the dealer ( Bettenhausen Ram ) was able to extract the broken #2 glow plug they also replaced the glow plug harness because of corrosion. Mitsubishi Fuso dealers would probably be able to service a bad glow plug on this motor because they use a variant. If your curious about the water ingress just check your van after it sits out in a heavy rain the water is easily seen from the drivers side pooling around the injectors seizing them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fuzzy I just grabbed an old plastic tote I measured the area needed cut to size and made some adjustments it covers the entire top from the dip stick to just past the cowl center with the factory cover still in place its a tight fit which is good I tether it down on the drivers with a cable tie that is it I haven't seen any water sitting in the injector valley since. I'll post a picture when I get it back from the dealer Yes it's back in the shop can you believe it.
Here is a link to the factory plastic cover sold in Europe not sure if the mounting hardware is included.
.https://www.ebay.com/itm/504381414-Kurbelgehause-Abdeckung-Motor-Original-Fiat-Ducato-250-2-3-3-0/163961719840

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks HVAC - is that really the cover they use in Europe? And our vans don't have that in the US/CAN. That is so silly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm sure they used it at one time or another not sure if it would even cover the glow plugs though but it surely better than what we have now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dirty starts from malfunctioning glow plugs will effect the DPF down the road

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
I think I found the water cover! $102.25 - $118 w/shipping

I am in NH and my van is in AZ. Anyone want to buy/confirm this fits?
We don’t want the “sound cover” #68284344AA

There is a “module cover" too.

Reactions: heaphy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same one on ebay don't know why parts giant is so expensive would be like 85 US from Italy

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Maybe less as their price included VAT of 22% we wouldn’t pay. I was thinking FAST not cheap but now that you mention it .........

61 - 80 of 114 Posts