Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sadly, this summer I've had the same issue. Glow plug CEL. 2014 2500 with 32,000 miles. Mine falls into the "no o-ring" bulletin time-frame, so I'm suspecting the lack of o-rings has caused excess heat to get to the plugs and cause premature failure. I'm not overly concerned but I'd like to get this resolved...I hate seeing that CEL at every start up (sometime, maybe 1 out of 10, the CEL does not come on).

1) Has anyone successfully navigated this issue without breaking plugs/removing the head?
2) Is it possible to trick the system into thinking the plugs are ok? I think a few are still working, and I'm sure the engine would start, even in colder temps.
3) Does this fall under the 5yr/50k warrenty? Do I just go to the dealer and tell them about that? How do I manage that conversation?

Fuzzy

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Take your vehicle registration to the dealer and ID, they will tell you the in service start date.

The warranty manual has a chart that shows 5yr 60k, but in the write up it's 100k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometime it can happen, sometimes instead the problem are technitians not following the procedure to extract them.
Anyway difficult to say since they always will say they followed the procedures.

The recommended procedures can be found in glow plugs manufacturers websites such as Bosch, Beru, ...

All glow plug manufacturers recommends to remove plugs at engine working temperature and taking attention to break torque. To clean carefully the threads once removed, To plug at specified torque, ... ...

Than it happens sometimes that some plug are broken, even before entering in the workshop.
Some technitians, when possible, use extraction kits that are available for every engine manufacturer and brand.
The first extraction kits for diesel engines, if I remember well, were for Mercedes CDI engines.

Glow plugs tips and tricks (an NGK Europe video)

Extract and repairing kit
(3.0 4 cylinders is an FPR Industrial engine of F1 family, it is an F1C)

note: in 2016 at european SEVEL plant, where Fiat Ducato and companions for Citroen and Peugeot are manufactured, were manufactured more than 290k vehicles, all with diesel engines (F1A 2.3 l, F1C 3.0 and few 2.0 l).
great info but i went thru this crap. FCA does not offer their techs a method for removing broken glow plugs, like every other diesel engine mfr on the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fca does not have a method for removing broken glow plugs and stuck injectors. This is why their warranty costs on diesels are so high and they have dropped the diesel engine option due their own stupidity. Their way to repair this is to replace the cylinder head so it turns into a very 10 k repair. fca has to eat this cost under warranty, they could have developed an extraction methods like every other diesel engine manufcturer has done. so due to high warranty costs, they dropped what is a good engine . i like my fuel economy and heaving hauling i have done wiht my diesel promaster.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Another resource for out of warranty work could be a shop that works on Mitsubishi truck engines.
video on Ducato glow plug removal,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometime it can happen, sometimes instead the problem are technitians not following the procedure to extract them.
Anyway difficult to say since they always will say they followed the procedures.

The recommended procedures can be found in glow plugs manufacturers websites such as Bosch, Beru, ...

All glow plug manufacturers recommends to remove plugs at engine working temperature and taking attention to break torque. To clean carefully the threads once removed, To plug at specified torque, ... ...

Than it happens sometimes that some plug are broken, even before entering in the workshop.
Some technitians, when possible, use extraction kits that are available for every engine manufacturer and brand.
The first extraction kits for diesel engines, if I remember well, were for Mercedes CDI engines.

Glow plugs tips and tricks (an NGK Europe video)

Extract and repairing kit
(3.0 4 cylinders is an FPR Industrial engine of F1 family, it is an F1C)

note: in 2016 at european SEVEL plant, where Fiat Ducato and companions for Citroen and Peugeot are manufactured, were manufactured more than 290k vehicles, all with diesel engines (F1A 2.3 l, F1C 3.0 and few 2.0 l).
fca has no procedure to extract broken glow plugs. short of head replacement.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
maddkraut03
Your opinion about the repair being the reason the diesel was dropped is appreciated but I doubt it was that. The engine was dropped when they were trying to get their small diesels recertified by the EPA following the VW fiasco. This engine is an older comercial-industrial diesel and compliance would be more difficult due to it’s design. It was already needing lots of flash updates to get it to run w/o emissions systems issues and those changes on FCA diesels were the reason the EPA suspended the sale of its 3.0 V6. That engine is a modern, built for low emissions, unit and this one was not. I doubt they could get this engine into compliance. It’s limited sales probably was the final nail in the 3.0 I-4 coffin. At the time of this decision very few, perhaps no glow plug issues had been reported here IIRC.
Had they used the 2.3 highest output Multijet engine they manufacture themselves this would probably not have been an issue and we might have continued to enjoy the diesel Promaster.
Glow plugs aside this is a very robust engine with a timing chain which will give many hundreds of thousand miles of service. I have stated the answer is to go to FCA dealers if you are under warrantee and get it fixed for free or if not go to a reputable diesel shop and get them extracted. The cost will be worth it as miles of great use accumulate.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've not contacted the dealer yet, but since my 5 year engine warranty runs out mid-Jan I need to get this sorted ASAP. I really need to have the van around, so I'm hoping for not too much downtime. Any ideas how long it can take if they break the plugs and need to install a new head?

Also, does ANYONE have a case where the plugs needed replacing and they were able to remove them without breaking them off in the head?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2015 Promaster had a seized glow plug at 26,000 miles the plug broke( #2) in the head resulting in the motor being dropped from the bottom new head, glow plugs , injectors all fluids and so on FCA also comp me for my troubles fast forward to last week another service glow plug warning with engine light took it in now its #4 cylinder. The reason the glow plugs and injectors are seizing is the windshield wiper cowl leaks water on the of the head there is a seam in the middle of the cowl that leaks right into the engine bay the head has a valley where the glow plugs and injectors are mounted so every time it rains it fills that valley with water then it evaporates or you boil it off. I currently have 68,000 miles on it and a also have maxi care . Rep called and said they will try to remove the glow plug in the morning. There is a you tube video on promaster injector removal that explains this issue. Last time they pulled motor and replaced the head they ordered all the parts first and then I scheduled repair it took like 4 days my local RAM dealer has great diesel mechanics. I had the oil analyzed after I got it back for coolant none was found.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think having the proper tools and experience with this particular problem, or diesel glow plugs in general, is the key to a succesful repair. I live in northern illionois, due to the quantity of salt they use to clear the roads here, nothing exposed to the elements comes apart easy.

So, last night, I drilled and tapped the #4 glow plug and modified my extractor to fit the Fiat head. When pulling the main body of the glow plug, the treads came out and the glow plug remained in the head. ARG! I really don't want to pull the head, so i have re-tapped the hole where the glow plug threads in and i'm going to put it back together and drive it. If the old glow plug works itself lose i'll keep the new one with me and thread it in.
How did you make out with your number 4 repair my Promaster with 68,000 miles is currently at a Ram dealer # 4 is seized they want to drill it out this time last time I had # 2 go bad at 28,000 miles and it cracked off in the head so they installed a new head now they want to try to drill it out first. Did you get any metal in the motor.?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i adapted my old Sprinter drill jig to work on the PM. After the several steps the puller pulled out the threads i made in the old glow plug. At this point i was just going to run it with the hopes of blowing the glow plug out, upon start up i realized i gad either drilled through the glow plug or i had drilled of center as combustion gas was blowing out the glow plug hole. At this point i drilled and tapped the top part of the hole and stuck an 8mm bolt in it and that's the way it remains to this day. I haven't had any issues with starting even in the winter, aside from a -50 degree day when nothing was starting. I'm sure at some point I'll need to pull the engine, at that point I'll put a new head on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've not contacted the dealer yet, but since my 5 year engine warranty runs out mid-Jan I need to get this sorted ASAP. I really need to have the van around, so I'm hoping for not too much downtime. Any ideas how long it can take if they break the plugs and need to install a new head?

Also, does ANYONE have a case where the plugs needed replacing and they were able to remove them without breaking them off in the head?
I haven't heard of anyone having a broken glow plug removed successfully at a Ram Dodge shop and they always break no matter what I'm sure FCA is looking forward to the day when we are all out of the warranty period.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dropped the van off on Monday. Let them know they could take their time with the van. The hit the glow plugs with penetrating oil and said that 3 our of 4 of them came out but one broke off. They said they are 'sending out the head' which I'm sure means sending it to the local diesel shop to get the plug out and helicoil it or something. FCA is probably not authorizing new heads anymore if they can help it (or they are on loooong backorder). Regardless I'm pleased it will be sorted under warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
This is the way it might be done although a new head would be great if they did that. I think they could have gotten the repair done w/o removing the head if the whole van went to the diesel shop. Hey 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If they send it out it's going to a machine shop hopefully. I think a Helicoil insert would not be acceptable repair under warranty. I also dropped my van off last Monday for glow plug # 4 haven't heard anything yet but parts are on order. Also gave them a list of things to repair as follows, Glow plug - passenger side power mirror doesn't fold correctly - U connect radio freezes up - front struts leaking oil - cowl leaking water into engine compartment and noisy blower motor. I think they will have it for awhile

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Till 2022?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wouldn't doubt it probably would save themselves money.
FCA is already up to about 20 K in repairs on my 2015 Promaster probably kicking themselves for giving me Max Care at this point

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Well they have spent nothing on mine as it has been near perfect. I didn’t buy any warrantee either. In the 70’s we only got 100K miles and about 5 years out of new vehicles as the salt and wear and tear did them in. I am at 80K and nearly 5 years already. Double that and I’m golden. Keeping my finger’s crossed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got a call from the dealer. I haven't been pushing them hard, but they say it's fixed and ready to be picked up. Hopefully sorted for a while...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well they have spent nothing on mine as it has been near perfect. I didn’t buy any warrantee either. In the 70’s we only got 100K miles and about 5 years out of new vehicles as the salt and wear and tear did them in. I am at 80K and nearly 5 years already. Double that and I’m golden. Keeping my finger’s crossed.
You should easily get that and more. Like anything, stay on top of things before they pile up and become more expensive issues. Todays vehicles are so much better in terms of construction that they should last longer. Modern lubricants help immensely too. I am inspired by the one member here who has over 560k on his engine.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts