Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How many heads did it take to find a good one? Three for me.
I am not really sure how many heads. I did mention to them that they needed to check head first and order the proper one based on the comments of this forum. I will definitely ask when I pick up and talk with mechanic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I asked the head question and was told that for my engine there was three different head gaskets. I was a bit confused based on everyones comments about different heads (and not knowing which to order) so I asked twice. It could be possible mine was a later build and they knew right from the get go which head to get. Perhaps the three different head gaskets mentioned were for the three different heads.

The mechanic spent at least 20 minutes talking to me about the trials and tribulations about the job. Apologized many times for it taking so long but I understand they were at the mercy of parts supply. Still waiting on a sensor (IIRC, crank pressure) that needs replacing that had no part number so that delayed things. They are going to do an MVI and I asked them to change the fuel filter. They installed 4 new injectors as well as they were seized in the head too. He said he used anti-seize where needed and should never encounter this problem again. While there is a two year warranty on this job, I still opted to extend my warranty by 4 more years. I was planning on buying a new van next year and even if I do, I want to ensure I can sell it with confidence to the next person.

I can't image the frustration this would cause anyone or business where a van was a critical piece to their operation. While my van is very important to me it is not critical in my coffee business. For the equipment that is critical to my operation and I have backups and carry an inventory of new parts. I understand that is not necessarily easy when you are just starting out but prudent as time goes on.

My suggestion to anyone with the diesel is be prepared to be without your van for at least a month and have min 12K cash (assuming no warranty) on the ready. Even if you have the cash, the month in the shop could be irrecoverable to some; with that said, it would be ill advised to ignore this issue and may be just a matter of time for you. If glow plug woes would be too hard to digest then I suggest buying the gas version of the promaster before something happens. If you believe you can't afford to do that now I can't imagine getting a new van and having a 12K repair bill at the same time. I understand that may be easier said than done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
someone, please educate me concerning this issue. I understand glow plugs and sometimes even spark plugs seize in the head. Can’t a skilled mechanic with the proper extraction tools get them out without removing or mutilating the engine head? All of the failed attempts I’ve read about are performed by the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
256 Posts
someone, please educate me concerning this issue. I understand glow plugs and sometimes even spark plugs seize in the head. Can’t a skilled mechanic with the proper extraction tools get them out without removing or mutilating the engine head? All of the failed attempts I’ve read about are performed by the dealer.
My last bad glow plug was extracted by my Ram dealer by drilling center out and extracted with a deck screw that's right from the service manager

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
256 Posts
I asked the head question and was told that for my engine there was three different head gaskets. I was a bit confused based on everyones comments about different heads (and not knowing which to order) so I asked twice. It could be possible mine was a later build and they knew right from the get go which head to get. Perhaps the three different head gaskets mentioned were for the three different heads.

The mechanic spent at least 20 minutes talking to me about the trials and tribulations about the job. Apologized many times for it taking so long but I understand they were at the mercy of parts supply. Still waiting on a sensor (IIRC, crank pressure) that needs replacing that had no part number so that delayed things. They are going to do an MVI and I asked them to change the fuel filter. They installed 4 new injectors as well as they were seized in the head too. He said he used anti-seize where needed and should never encounter this problem again. While there is a two year warranty on this job, I still opted to extend my warranty by 4 more years. I was planning on buying a new van next year and even if I do, I want to ensure I can sell it with confidence to the next person.

I can't image the frustration this would cause anyone or business where a van was a critical piece to their operation. While my van is very important to me it is not critical in my coffee business. For the equipment that is critical to my operation and I have backups and carry an inventory of new parts. I understand that is not necessarily easy when you are just starting out but prudent as time goes on.

My suggestion to anyone with the diesel is be prepared to be without your van for at least a month and have min 12K cash (assuming no warranty) on the ready. Even if you have the cash, the month in the shop could be irrecoverable to some; with that said, it would be ill advised to ignore this issue and may be just a matter of time for you. If glow plug woes would be too hard to digest then I suggest buying the gas version of the promaster before something happens. If you believe you can't afford to do that now I can't imagine getting a new van and having a 12K repair bill at the same time. I understand that may be easier said than done.
Whicof When you get your van back make sure your cowl is sealed up tight and fabricate a plastic cover for your engine this can prevent any future failures
Promaster seals.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would think its technically possible but I am surmising that the average owner would initially take the van, for something as simple as a glow plug, to the dealer by default. Most people are not expecting this to happen.

I am not sure if every glow plug has easy access. My statement of glow plug snapped off in the head (the one that failed) which started this process was accurate but technically incomplete. Upon replacing the head etc at least one more glow plug (maybe two) snapped off and all 4 injectors were seized so they were basically destroyed taking them out. The two cam shafts and the head cover was changed as well because of damage from the removal process.

I would not wish this repair on anyone. As soon as I had the glow plug warning, this forum was the first place I turned to see what I was in for and my anxiety started to go up. Despite having warranty I delayed taking it in for a month or two. With my luck I was almost assured something would go awry.

These diesels are not that common so that complicates things, re experience working on them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sadly, ur experience is par for course. Hopefully, that’s the end of it. For what it’s worth our experience was all that and then some. The amount of carnage didn’t stop at the plugs and the injectors. While everything out, damage was incurred to front end assemblies and even some of the mounting hardware. It’s a travesty that this couldn’t have been foreseen by FCA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sadly, ur experience is par for course. Hopefully, that’s the end of it. For what it’s worth our experience was all that and then some. The amount of carnage didn’t stop at the plugs and the injectors. While everything out, damage was incurred to front end assemblies and even some of the mounting hardware. It’s a travesty that this couldn’t have been foreseen by FCA.
I hope I do not suffer some of those additional woes as you have, so sorry. I totally agree this is craziness and should have been foreseeable.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts