Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2015 Promaster (34,000 miles/54000km) in for a glow plug warning and suffice to say it snapped off in the head. Fortunately, it is still under warranty for another month.

I am not sure how long it will take to repair. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long I should expect based on their experience? The dealer has to take it apart first to order the proper head and I should be able to get an estimate from them in a week.

Any idea when Ram typically offers incentives on new vans?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
254 Posts
Whicof,
You might be in for a real FCA show I've had 2 snapped off in the head glow plugs 2 years apart first one they dropped the motor and changed the head second one they were able to drill and extract . I have a competent local dealer that knows the Promaster diesel most don't so it's a real crapshoot my dealer had to take off the head to order the correct gaskets and head some members have had the misfortune of having wrong head and or gaskets installed. My head replacement took about a week but I've heard some horror stories on the forum with weeks and months of downtime all I can say is good luck

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
335 Posts
I just took my 2015 Promaster (34,000 miles/54000km) in for a glow plug warning and suffice to say it snapped off in the head. Fortunately, it is still under warranty for another month.

I am not sure how long it will take to repair. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long I should expect based on their experience? The dealer has to take it apart first to order the proper head and I should be able to get an estimate from them in a week.

Any idea when Ram typically offers incentives on new vans?

Thanks!
Immediately go to an attorney and pay them to draft a letter to FCA warranty department. Do NOT have the attorney open the case as FCA will send it to their legal department which may slow the process.

I live by the old; The only good attorney is your own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whicof,
You might be in for a real FCA show I've had 2 snapped off in the head glow plugs 2 years apart first one they dropped the motor and changed the head second one they were able to drill and extract . I have a competent local dealer that knows the Promaster diesel most don't so it's a real crapshoot my dealer had to take off the head to order the correct gaskets and head some members have had the misfortune of having wrong head and or gaskets installed. My head replacement took about a week but I've heard some horror stories on the forum with weeks and months of downtime all I can say is good luck
HVAC1957,

Thanks for the reply! The dealer knows they have to check and order the proper head. I did tell them that after reading many posts here. I am hoping it works out like your head replacement. A week or two would not bother me much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Immediately go to an attorney and pay them to draft a letter to FCA warranty department. Do NOT have the attorney open the case as FCA will send it to their legal department which may slow the process.

I live by the old; The only good attorney is your own.
el Jefe,

Thanks for your reply. I take it your experience with FCA has been less than ideal. My dealer has been very good to me over the years and I expect things will proceed the same this time. While I do drive my van daily, I really need my van about 12 days a year. Just so happened, I needed it yesterday so I had to get a friend with a truck, stressful. Most times, I could get by with a small suv. I use the van more/less as a baby barn on wheels most days.

I just hope I can get this fixed within 2 weeks. I know for a lot of people their van is a critical piece of equipment and if that were the case my demeanor would most likely be different.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can’t they extract it without taking off the head? This is such a common problem. Seems like FCA would have procedures and proper tools required for successful extraction.... and it would save them a boatload of money.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Can’t they extract it without taking off the head? This is such a common problem. Seems like FCA would have procedures and proper tools required for successful extraction.... and it would save them a boatload of money.
They don't go figure

·
Registered
464 Posts
I took my van in two weeks ago for the 100,000km glow plug change... I'm at 99,000 and under warranty until December and 100,000km. I knew the broken glow plug issue could arise.... and it did. I purposely waited until the end of summer so that I wouldn't miss using the van during that time. I've been managing the mileage for the last 6 months knowing this day was coming. They have ordered a new head under warranty and so far we are 2 weeks into the wait. I'm hoping for an update today.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I took my van in two weeks ago for the 100,000km glow plug change... I'm at 99,000 and under warranty until December and 100,000km. I knew the broken glow plug issue could arise.... and it did. I purposely waited until the end of summer so that I wouldn't miss using the van during that time. I've been managing the mileage for the last 6 months knowing this day was coming. They have ordered a new head under warranty and so far we are 2 weeks into the wait. I'm hoping for an update today.
Shaun,
Make sure they inspect your glow plug harness it's probably corroded from water intrusion mine was replaced with my second plug failure because of it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ShaunB,

Thanks for letting me know. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer. I am sure this frustrates your dealer too as they probably can't get the answer themselves. Please keep me posted as that may give me an idea of availability. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Whicof,
I have confidence in my dealer but not FCA. I chose this dealer because they service a lot of promasters and have a good diesel mechanic.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just out of curiosity as I dont own a diesel: is the glow plug issue related to the water under the hood issue?

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
335 Posts
Whicof,
I have confidence in my dealer but not FCA. I chose this dealer because they service a lot of promasters and have a good diesel mechanic.
Still a good idea to file a case with FCA, @FCA just in case your dealer is getting the mmunaround with your trusted dealer. Get FCA involved with your case from the very beginning.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts