Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Armacost Lighting dimmer switch controlling my puck lights in the ceiling of my van. It has been working fine since I installed it, until about a week ago. Three times in the past week, I have walked past the van and noticed that the puck lights were on. The switch was in the off position each time. There is a detent on the rotary switch that clicks into the off position, so I am 100% confident that it was, indeed, in the off position. Each time I rotated the switch through the range, and when I clicked it off, it would turn off.

Does anybody know what could be causing this? It has been really humid here (SE USA). Maybe that has contributed?

I think I have another of the same switch on hand, and I will probably swap it out, but just curious if anyone knows the cause.

This is the switch: Armacost Lighting 511120

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,920 Posts
I would think the issue is related to the "wireless ready" feature. Physically, when it's in the off position, it must be off.

But, because it can be controlled wirelessly, maybe it's getting some radio-related interference that is triggering it on. I looked at the website, but they don't provide info on the frequencies the wireless feature uses, so it's hard to advise as to what might be interfering and triggering the lights...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,920 Posts
It seems to me that "wireless ready" implies that there is a radio receiver in the dimmer you have, whether you link a remote control to it or not. Just thinking that mysterious "ON" events might be explained by this wireless capability.

A switch clicked to the fixed off position would have a tough time just turning on, whereas a switch that has a radio receiver in it might easily be triggered by:

A local ham radio guy transmitting... (note: our dining room cabinet lights go on when I use my radio sometimes)
A nearby radio station, CB'er, drone pilot
A intermittent issue with a close telephone pole transformer...etc.

I would put all of the above as a more likely scenario than possible ghost issues... :)

Perhaps replacing unit with a simple dimmer minus the wireless capability (instead of a second one of the same design) would be worth a try. Non wireless versions of what you have are < $5.

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@proeddie after some more checking, my switch DOES have a wireless (RF) receiver in it. So you may be correct as to the cause. I have an email in to Armacost to see if it is possible to disable the wireless (or if they have a similar switch without wireless). I spent over an hour and cannot seem to find a PWM dimmer with a positive detent in the off position.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,920 Posts
To correct myself, the <$5 dimmer I mentioned does not have a positive detent. In my setup, I have a separate switch that powers the dimmer on and off.

Note: the pot is not on a board, so you could easily replace it with a pot that has a switch.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
To correct myself, the <$5 dimmer I mentioned does not have a positive detent. In my setup, I have a separate switch that powers the dimmer on and off.

View attachment 77750

Note: the pot is not on a board, so you could easily replace it with a pot that has a switch.
I have used one of these inexpensive dimmers. I bought the set of 3 because of one of Eddie's posts. I'm quite happy with it. Even though it does not have a definite "click" for off, when it is rotated all the way to the left, the LED puck lights look completely off to me.

The price can't be beat!

I'm going to use the 2nd of the 3 to run another set of puck lights in the van for a frivolous use just because I have 2 left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts