Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to order a 2500 136 high roof to convert for our new camper. We previously had a Eurovan camper.
I'm looking for recommendations of options to order. What did you order? What do you wish you'd ordered? What did you order that wasn't necessary?
Thank you,
Deena

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
For a camper I would order the swivel seats as the price is less than buying aftermarket swivels and lowered bases. Also buy the interior convenience group so you have the overhead storage shelf. I got the aluminum wheels so my van looks custom and the Sandstone pearl color so its not white and doesn't show dirt. I bought the upper and lower interior panels and they made insulating and having a finished interior much easier. DON’T buy the 2500 as the 1500 is just the same and saves $1000!

Reactions: Deena Gomber

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Get the 2500, NOT the 1500 because it's the only way you can get a 159 wb. Don't even consider a 136 wb for a camper. It will be the best $1000 you ever spent (actually $2000 as the 159 is also $1000 extra).

Otherwise RD is 100% correct (in spite of his microwave phobia) ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
That reminds me - DONT order any radio at all. Go with an aftermarket double DIN head end it will be much higher quality and far more useful. Simply buy a good backup camera and wire it into your new head end unit. You will see more, pay less and in the end be further ahead. The GPS in the uconnect5 is a piece of rubbish, forget it do yourself a favor and either get a stand alone GPS or a BT unit that will integrate with your head unit.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
Get the 2500, NOT the 1500 because it's the only way you can get a 159 wb. Don't even consider a 136 wb for a camper. It will be the best $1000 you ever spent (actually $2000 as the 159 is also $1000 extra).
I completely agree! As a famous driver once said, "what is behind me does not matter" (The original Gumball Rally movie) You will not feel like it's any harder to drive the 159, the turning radius is still great, and at just under 20' it is accepted in almost any campground - just like the 136. Most store and business parking lots I go to are 20' too.

My camper would feel empty without the additional space...in that space I have my fridge, portapotti, dressing area, clothes hanging area, and table storage. :D

Colorwise, pick a color that will look good inside because there's lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to cover completely in most DIY conversions. Best dirt hiders? Sandstone and silver.... best looking? Graphite!>:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
That reminds me - DONT order any radio at all. Go with an aftermarket double DIN head end it will be much higher quality and far more useful. Simply buy a good backup camera and wire it into your new head end unit. You will see more, pay less and in the end be further ahead. The GPS in the uconnect5 is a piece of rubbish, forget it do yourself a favor and either get a stand alone GPS or a BT unit that will integrate with your head unit.
Agreed! The Tom Tom based Nav is simply useless and screen is too small. The stereo sounds like crap. The only good thing is the phone interface is quite good.

Regarding cameras, I actually don't mind the factory rear view camera, but it requires the factory upgraded radio, so I would go another route. In my van I have the factory camera and I added a full time rearview camera and replaced the rearview mirror with a 7" LCD unit. I love this set up, and combined with the rear parking sensors (a must have option in my opinion), and the great mirrors I find driving this van to be a pleasure.... and I have the 3500 extended with the only windows being on the passenger slider.

So to summarize, here's what I would order:
Interior Convenience Package (upper shelf is very handy)
Premium Appearance Package (Chrome grill is nice, fog lights seem to help on poorly lit dirt roads)
Factory Swivels (please note this excludes heated seats, to my surprise)
No radio
Leather wheel (cheap option, adds a nice look and feel)
Factory hitch. It's a good deal and saves you one less thing to deal with during your build
Park sensors
Upfit connector (I haven't used mine yet but it will be important later)
Power heated and folding mirrors (not the giant ones)
No windows (easy and cheap to add them later)
Mudflaps (really help to keep the van a little cleaner)
Steel wheels (I like the look)

Aftermarket:

Good stereo, Nav unit
Double rearview camera (one fulltime, one reverse) with rearview mirror LCD screen

Keep in mind, my van is fully loaded as it was a dealer demo. I'm actually happy I had the factory wood floor as I could use it as a template when insulating the floor. You might want to consider the rubber floor mat for the same purpose. Mine has the LED cargo lights which are great for the building process but I will end up re-purposing them. I picked up the front walkthrough slushmat, which is nice. I also have the lower cargo panels, which serve as a good template for wall finishing, but not worth it for that purpose alone. Mine has the rear heat and ac prep, which even though I'm adding a coolant based water heater, may not be a benefit afterall. I know you are looking at the 136", but the 159 non extended would be a joy to drive. This thing has a very small turning circle.

Good luck. Oh yeah don't get black (poor paint quality and is going to be hot). I would rather have white, but silver would be my first choice.

Shaun

·
Registered
171 Posts
For camper conversion I would also look at these options

- the largest battery option
- Auxiliary Power Connector
- 12V auxiliary power outlet REAR
- auxiliary upfitter switches
- upfit interface connectors (included with Rear-Speaker Wiring Prep)
- radio wiring prep (includes 4 speakers and Media Input Hub)
- Parksense rear park assist

For the camera there is also this one now:
REAR BACK-UP CAMERA WITH RV MIRROR/MONITOR (not available with ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera or Rear Back-Up Camera Kit)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
So, about every option has been recommended and about every length except the 118 and low roof! I must say I let them provide the base radio and am fine with it, I’d let it come to avoid an immediate upgrade. There are plenty of 136’s as campervan conversions and to my knowledge we are all happy. If its to be a campervan not a class B, If you want a full RV buy the extended. A few thousand saved on the purchase can go along way towards some great conversion equipment and supplies. My ordered Sandstone Pearl, Diesel, with a few options and fully converted was less than $39,000. The diesel was the best option I ordered but seems to be unavailable now, too bad. It was $4,000 when I ordered so perhaps I could have spent $34,000 for the same campervan as a gasser. Its a bargain!

Reactions: Deena Gomber

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
We ordered the factory backup camera and obligatory radio upgrade. For us, the van monitoring/programming functions in the factory radio outweigh high-end sound, and I'd much rather tinker with the camper stuff in back. The first post in our build thread lists the options we ordered based on our research and personal priorities.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61554

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
1) I forgot to mention Cruise Control. I missed it so much in my off-the-lot PM that I put it in later.... about the same price either way.

2) The 5" radio is useful, but the screen is too small to see what's going on in the backup camera. I'm thinking about putting a separate, aux battery powered radio/USB MP3 player unit in the back for standing-still use. The 20 minute timeout on the stock radio is ridiculous, and with the Canbus system, there's not a good way to bypass the power to keep it "on".

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
For the camera there is also this one now:
REAR BACK-UP CAMERA WITH RV MIRROR/MONITOR (not available with ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera or Rear Back-Up Camera Kit)
I didn't see this on Ram's site? Any more info on this?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
With apologies to all the very happy 136 owners - get the 159 HT 2500! I really can't think of a single time I've said "this thing has too much room inside" nor has the longer wheelbase ever caused me a maneuvering or parking problem.

With respect to color, I think my special order two tone version is the way to go. ?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
Thanks. Sorry to hijack the thread. Just wanted to make sure no cruise control wouldn't be a deal breaker if I find a good van.
As mentioned in the thread, it's an easy install and the finished product is just like "factory"... same controls, same features. The only difference is that there is no indication on the dash when cruise is engaged... I think there is an indicator that goes on with the factory one.

Steve, you could pile a lot of dirt on that color and no one would notice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts