Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Back in November, someone named RiggRatt showed some sturdy-looking galvanized steps for the PM. I got no response when I tried to PM him, but noted the company was in Dallas and we were scheduled to be in Dallas this week, so I called and arranged a meeting. I ended up with the side step on my van, a quite favorable impression of the company, and an apology for dropping the ball here. He promises to return.

Commercial Body & Rigging is a relatively small family-owned business that upfits commercial trucks for oil field, utilities, etc. Big stuff. The step was designed and developed because a customer with 450 PM's needed a step that could take serious daily use. Thus a step that is no chrome go-faster, but solid as a rock.

Yesterday, Sean, Sr. sales rep, showed us the step and we decided pretty immediately that we wanted it. When we told him we needed to return home today, he told his welder to weld one up for us before 10 am today, and it would be installed before noon.

While we waited, co-owner Bobby gave us his undivided attention as if he had nothing better to do. He gave us a guided tour of their shop and showed us details of projects they were working on. Everything looked like top-notch quality work. We also noted the friendly relationship with the employees. Every one of them looked like they were enjoying their work.

This may sound like a commercial, but honestly, these guys really impressed us.

Bobby (RiggRatt) promises to return and follow up with answering questions, etc. in the meantime, getting in and out has become a safer and much more pleasurable experience.
Did you get side steps for both sides? What did they charge you?
Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
That little girl has more talent and brains than most adults (the video). I wish she lived here. We would hire her to do our website video.

The driveway at my house is CRAZY steep. I am just glad I am still physically capable of handling it. The door has clobbered me a few times and have been hooked up by the parking handle also, not pretty lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We work on protesters vans in California here's Thuly steps 400 and 700 for side door, being put into the promaster 2015 . You cannot buy the steps in United States if you want them they're expensive but fairly easy to put in. see Photos

·
Registered
810 Posts
One side step. $425 installed.
Is there anyway that you can post his contact info. Months ago, a few of us here asked him about getting the brackets ONLY for the rear step, as we had our own step treads.
And our inquires went un-answered.
I have leftover running board from my Arch Amazon boards to use as a rear step, but I need his (Bobby RiggRat) brackets as do others.
Thaks alot

·
Registered
108 Posts
We just finished ours yesterday. After a lot of reading on what other folks have done, and noting that we did not want to lose the hitch in exchange for a step, meaning I wanted both, I decided to do our own.

I also wanted to make a useful distance between the OEM bumper and step height, but not lose too much ground clearance either. On our 136" 1500 with all gear loaded, but no cargo, the step is 13.5" off of the ground. The curb weight on our van with our tools n gear, no cargo, is 6100 lbs.

Top is 1/8" plate, surround tubing supports and edge wrap is 1' x 1' x 1/8" wall tube. Prepped, painted, spray on traction coat on the top, Curt hitch, all in for about $375 not counting "our time" to design, paint, and install.

Hope this may be helpful to others as well, thanks to all who have also posted pics for us to learn and gain ideas from.
Just an update, after seeing ST111's woes with exhaust heat, we noted that the Curt hitch we used as a base for our step blocked the factory exhaust. Further, our step goes 1" lower than the Curt hitch to boot. We feared exhaust heat could be directed upwards behind the factory bumper cover. We only noticed some condensation from the exhaust on our step to that point, then read ST111's posts about the Luverne step, and looked closer.

So we installed an exhaust extension. Cut off the factory down tip, made a newer longer one, appx 3" longer, and attached it.

Thanks ST111 for the heads up, hope Luverne is making things right with you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ACRGLASS,

Glad my info helped.. .I was offered my money back by Eurocampers after they determined there was nothing that could be done..IF I returned the product ...what a PITA! For something that is a flawed design, and was damaged because of that, and not my doing, I didn't think that was fair! I have to say I was disappointed with the response from them. I sent photos as they asked, and waited for them to contact the Luverne rep only to be told that moving the step up was the resolution to the problem. So, I ended up contacting someone at Luverne myself... If I remember correctly it was the VP of Engineering. It turns out that the step was not originally marketed for the Fiat Ducato with side exhaust (that sounded like the answer, uncubed) .... I think it was just not well thought out. I was told they were now going to include information with the step that indicates the "recommended" height, which will allow the exhaust to blow below the step. Moving the step up is not an option for me, and because I only use the passenger side to enter the van anyway, Luverne sent me a new step with a pad on the passenger side only. It looks better than the old one with the holes left behind after I removed the melted pad. It's not a perfect solution, but I do like the function of the step (minus the problem)! Plus, I could not find anything else comparable that didn't have a real aggressive grip step, which wouldn't feel too good on my dogs feet! It's all consumer information that will go in the ole' memory bank next time I'm in the market to buy something for my PM!

·
Registered
108 Posts
ACRGLASS,

Glad my info helped.. .I was offered my money back by Eurocampers after they determined there was nothing that could be done..IF I returned the product ...what a PITA! For something that is a flawed design, and was damaged because of that, and not my doing, I didn't think that was fair! I have to say I was disappointed with the response from them. I sent photos as they asked, and waited for them to contact the Luverne rep only to be told that moving the step up was the resolution to the problem. So, I ended up contacting someone at Luverne myself... If I remember correctly it was the VP of Engineering. It turns out that the step was not originally marketed for the Fiat Ducato with side exhaust (that sounded like the answer, uncubed) .... I think it was just not well thought out. I was told they were now going to include information with the step that indicates the "recommended" height, which will allow the exhaust to blow below the step. Moving the step up is not an option for me, and because I only use the passenger side to enter the van anyway, Luverne sent me a new step with a pad on the passenger side only. It looks better than the old one with the holes left behind after I removed the melted pad. It's not a perfect solution, but I do like the function of the step (minus the problem)! Plus, I could not find anything else comparable that didn't have a real aggressive grip step, which wouldn't feel too good on my dogs feet! It's all consumer information that will go in the ole' memory bank next time I'm in the market to buy something for my PM!
Well, after thinking about your photos, and looking at what I had built, I wondered if we might possibly melt our factory bumper cover!

I'd have to go back and look again at your original photos, but at the time I read your first posts about problems, I couldn't see how you could adjust the step height enough to eliminate the problem you had anyway.

Even if you could install the step high enough to clear the factory exhaust, it would be the same height as the original bumper step, and therefore, pointless, is how it looked to me.

Don't quote me on this until I have a chance to look, but I purchased cast or billet aluminum treads for the nerf bars on my old 78 CJ5. They were designed for a specific radius to fit the nerf bars. Perhaps the Luverne step might accept them. They simply installed with two drilled holes & two 3/16" rivets for each side, and provided less than enough traction for my tastes to step up into the CJ when hunting and having mud or snow on your feet. For your purposes, and your dog's paws, they may be just the ticket. If they would fit the radius of the Luverne tube, that is.

Seems like they were made by either Smittybuilt or Steel Horse.

Hope it's a helpful thought.

I did some googling and searching my own hard drives, and I can't find what they were, and only find one low res pic of the treads.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Here are some Pics of the step we build. We sell it online for $295. The rear step is a no drill install and can be done in about an hour. The side step takes about two hours and you have to drill a couple holes in the pinch weld at the side of the van. It's an all galvanized material so we don't have the cost of paint or powder coating. I weigh 225 lbs and can bounce up and down on it with out it flexing at all. The step is also 9.5" deep instead of the 7" that the one competitors step is, and does not interfere with the back up sensors.
Ok gang, I got a hold of Sean today.He was at his kids soccer game and couldnt talk long, BUT he said that they are willing to sell just the rear brackets ONLY.... so some of us can use our own steps. I have leftover running board i want to use.
So he call back on monday for details of the rear brackets only. I will update after we talk again.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok gang, I got a hold of Sean today.He was at his kids soccer game and couldnt talk long, BUT he said that they are willing to sell just the rear brackets ONLY.... so some of us can use our own steps. I have leftover running board i want to use.
So he call back on monday for details of the rear brackets only. I will update after we talk again.
Sean quoted me 75$ EACH for the brackets ONLY for his rear step set-up. plus shipping.
Dammmn... Higher than I was expecting.
I will pass, though they sure do look like sweet brackets.
Good luck to those who decide to jump on them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ACRGLASS,

ST111,

I found the step treads. Made by Carr Products. For 3" diameter tube nerf bars or bumpers. They come in 8", 12", and 18" lengths, in silver or black. I can't tell if they would work on the Luverne step or not.

HTH, link below.

http://www.carr.com/steps/tread-plates.html

·
Registered
2016 Promaster 1500 Low Roof
14 Posts
Getting in the cab of our Promaster has been a challenge. We are old, short and shall I say cubby. Trying to find a hand hold on something is impossible. One day my dear wife said what about those “cane“ things they show on commercials to help people get in & out of a car? I laughed! Until she bought them and what a difference to hook it on the latch and up you go. Especially good when getting out of van!!!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Getting in the cab of our Promaster has been a challenge. We are old, short and shall I say cubby. Trying to find a hand hold on something is impossible. One day my dear wife said what about those “cane“ things they show on commercials to help people get in & out of a car? I laughed! Until she bought them and what a difference to hook it on the latch and up you go. Especially good when getting out of van!!!
Photo? Link?

81 - 100 of 111 Posts