Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
haha.. they are not there for use as steps (though, Ive tried and did use them for that.. ((spooky,, for a big guy))..
the recesses are really part of thr 'air curtian' design.
look in the recesses and youll see air vent louvers.
they direct air over thru channels and out over the front tires.
look up under the fronts of the wheel wells. Youll see the vent exits.
I need a larger, more robust step for my big shoes.
Oh but they are indeed there for use as steps. Here is a tread kit for them: https://www.reimo.com/en/46458-step_ducato_from_model_07_aluminium_nature_1_pair/

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup, I don't care what their intended function is, they're steps for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bought a rear step for my PM through eurocampers.com It's a 54" step that is installed without drilling and is not used with a trailer hitch. Just had it installed at a local truck and trailer shop....this thing is SWEET! The height of the step is adjustable and mine is set was low as it goes. The bottom of the step is 10" off the ground.

What a difference it makes! Seems like a pretty straightforward install, so many of you out there could easily do it yourself. Pics to come.

Well, I just tried to upload two photos but it doesn't seem to have worked...

·
Registered
108 Posts
We just finished ours yesterday. After a lot of reading on what other folks have done, and noting that we did not want to lose the hitch in exchange for a step, meaning I wanted both, I decided to do our own.

I also wanted to make a useful distance between the OEM bumper and step height, but not lose too much ground clearance either. On our 136" 1500 with all gear loaded, but no cargo, the step is 13.5" off of the ground. The curb weight on our van with our tools n gear, no cargo, is 6100 lbs.

Top is 1/8" plate, surround tubing supports and edge wrap is 1' x 1' x 1/8" wall tube. Prepped, painted, spray on traction coat on the top, Curt hitch, all in for about $375 not counting "our time" to design, paint, and install.

Hope this may be helpful to others as well, thanks to all who have also posted pics for us to learn and gain ideas from.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Exactly. When I saw the advertised lower load floor I just (wrongly) assumed it would mean easier access. Not so....but it's OK.

I'm gonna focus on finding (or making) a rear step step bumper and will likely just mostly go in and out the back end. Seems the sliding door has to be really slammed hard to get it to close all the way. Anyone else notice that?
A bit of spray on lithium grease on the side door roller and track makes a huge difference in the effort needed to close it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
UPDATE on rear step:

Unfortunately, since I last posted the photo of the rear step purchased from eurocampers.com, a problem has developed. Within a day of driving the vehicle, I began to notice that the step pad on one side of the step was starting to buckle. As time went on, it got worse, to the point it is now almost melted away.

It was clear immediately that the pad was being destroyed by the heat from the exhaust. Of course I immediately contacted eurocampers.com to advise them of the problem, photos and all. They advised the problem had not been previously reported to them, but admitted that it was a new product for them. Actually, it was not on the website until after they ordered it for me...they did advertise the 54" Grip step for the Promaster, but had not, as yet advertised the O-Mega 54" step. Both products are made by Luverne.

I was told that they were going to contact Luverne to advise them of the problem. These are the suggestions I received - from Steve at eurocampers and from Luverne (through eurocampers) :

-- raise the position of the step ( well duh, that defeats the purpose of the product as an assist into the rear of the van...in addition, it was installed by a Luverne dealer per manufacturer instructions, and the vertical brace was slotted to allow for height adjustment )
-- install an exhaust tip
--return it for the grip step ( FYI, when I ordered it, I discussed with them that the surface may be too dangerous for my dogs to walk on)

I then received the final email today with this message:

"Sorry to hear you were unable to resolve the issue with your step.

I have discussed this issue with Luverne and the only solution to allow you to have a rear step in this position on your van would be to modify your exhaust.

Further investigation would be required to determine if this is an issue with all ProMasters, but no other problems like this have been reported.

We would be happy to refund your purchase, but we would need to receive the step back."

HELLO---Am I crazy or does anyone else see a problem here??? I'm supposed to resolve the problem??? The product was marketed for the Promaster. The only stipulation it makes on the website is that is will not fit the 159 Extended. Further investigation is required???? Maybe they should have determined if it would be an issue with all Promasters before they marketed it. Now they want me to return it in the original packaging, blah blah blah, no mention of who would pay for it. Oh and are they going to pay me for the install charge?

Sorry for the long post, but I am livid! Did anyone else buy the product? Any ideas?

I'm going to try and download a couple photos in a second post. The original photos of the installed step are in my earlier post.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I won't be of much help. I can't see the exhaust in the picture. Did you have it installed in the recommended height location? That step is toast. Can the surface (plastic) be replaced? Would an exhaust tip and a new surface "fix" the issue because if Luverne would send the top you could replace it and add a tip cheaper than shipping the step back. Stuff happens and returning even a defective product is normal recourse and I have never had installation be covered by an accessory manufacturer. That being said Luverne and Steve ought to go out of their way to help if this is a normal position for the step and exhaust if not ????? Best of luck, I hate it when this sort of thing happens!

·
Registered
82 Posts
RD,

There was no indication of a recommended height with the instructions. The vertical post (that mounts to the vehicle) has a slot rather than a hole as an attachment point for the brackets that support the step. That seems to be a clear indication that height adjustment is acceptable. There was no information to the contrary.

As far as the position of the exhaust pipe, I'm guessing they're all the same from the factory? Just seems to me that Luverne marketed this product without much research behind it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
RD,

There was no indication of a recommended height with the instructions. The vertical post (that mounts to the vehicle) has a slot rather than a hole as an attachment point for the brackets that support the step. That seems to be a clear indication that height adjustment is acceptable. There was no information to the contrary.

As far as the o the position of the exhaust pipe, I'm guessing they're all the same from the factory? Just seems to me that Luverne marketed this product without much research behind it.
Looks like this was designed for the Fiat Ducato and not tested for Promaster.
The Fiat Ducato's exhaust is off to the drivers side. Where as the PM'S is in the
back. Shame this has happened. It did look nice at first. I think you should be reimburse for the trouble you are going through.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Arch- thanks for the link

uncubed- thanks for the info..I think that is the problem. Shame on Luverne for not knowing that.

FYI-not even an offer to pay for shipping at this point.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Back in November, someone named RiggRatt showed some sturdy-looking galvanized steps for the PM. I got no response when I tried to PM him, but noted the company was in Dallas and we were scheduled to be in Dallas this week, so I called and arranged a meeting. I ended up with the side step on my van, a quite favorable impression of the company, and an apology for dropping the ball here. He promises to return.

Commercial Body & Rigging is a relatively small family-owned business that upfits commercial trucks for oil field, utilities, etc. Big stuff. The step was designed and developed because a customer with 450 PM's needed a step that could take serious daily use. Thus a step that is no chrome go-faster, but solid as a rock.

Yesterday, Sean, Sr. sales rep, showed us the step and we decided pretty immediately that we wanted it. When we told him we needed to return home today, he told his welder to weld one up for us before 10 am today, and it would be installed before noon.

While we waited, co-owner Bobby gave us his undivided attention as if he had nothing better to do. He gave us a guided tour of their shop and showed us details of projects they were working on. Everything looked like top-notch quality work. We also noted the friendly relationship with the employees. Every one of them looked like they were enjoying their work.

This may sound like a commercial, but honestly, these guys really impressed us.

Bobby (RiggRatt) promises to return and follow up with answering questions, etc. in the meantime, getting in and out has become a safer and much more pleasurable experience.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts