Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a step for the side or rear?

Dodge told me there's nothing from the factory available.

Perhaps something that retracts?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It would not be a permanent installation like factory running boards for the sides or a step bumper for the rear, but I can think of a couple of options if you just need a little help (as in small step).

At the back there are a lot of generic steps that mount on a standard hitch. If you have a receiver that's an inexpensive option for the rear. And it can be removed quickly if not needed. Some I researched for my van even fold out of way although that adds weight and cost.

For the side many RVs of all types use steps under floor that pull out. Older ones like I had on a Class C pulled out manually. Newer ones seem to be powered because it makes getting in and out the first/last time much easier.

The powered step used on ProMaster-van-based Winnebago Travato might meet your needs. Looks pretty much the same as others used on many Sprinter van RV conversions.

My biggest concern with any RV-style step is making sure it is strong enough for weight! particularly if entering and exiting van with tools or supplies. Some of these steps are built very light.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Winnebago installs a power side step on their PM class B RV van, the Travato. Works slick.
You might check into it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. Would love to have a step that comes out automatically when the door opens....but not sure the budget is there.

After I got this van I realized that it is a little less accessible than my E250 when it comes to entering and exiting. With the Ford, the rear step bumper makes getting in and out of the rear easy. And the side has the built-in step.

I may get used to a 22" step .....I could look at it as a form of exercise every day. I do a lot of service work and I go in and out of this thing many times a day.
I have looked on line for a rear step bumper for the PM and not found any yet. (On a side note the plastic bumper that comes from the factory on my PM seems to be pretty flimsy. Would have been nice if they didn't go so cheap there.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your so right OregonPlumber. Lower load floor doesn't mean easier to get in and out of as advertised. The steps on the Sprinter (integrated on side and optional on back) are 3-4" lower than the promaster floor. Not implying that Sprinter is better, just easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly. When I saw the advertised lower load floor I just (wrongly) assumed it would mean easier access. Not so....but it's OK.

I'm gonna focus on finding (or making) a rear step step bumper and will likely just mostly go in and out the back end. Seems the sliding door has to be really slammed hard to get it to close all the way. Anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes I am in and out all day and that side door you really have to slam shut or it won't lock. I also noticed the higher step lucky I am 6ft. tall my brother is a few inches shorter he really notices it.I guess he will get use to his new pm. I may look in to a lower step bumper.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
In my opinion everything else being equal (or similar) a 21-inch floor must be easier to get in and out than a 30-inch floor like on my E-350.

On the side door, my first step is a little over a foot high to the running board, then a second step to the integrated step, then a third to the finished floor. This isn't too bad going up because the ball of the foot can land on step, but on way down it's not as easy, particularly when wet and slippery.

On a loaded ProMaster (around 20 inches to floor) it should only take two steps of about 10 inches each (one intermediate step). The first step will probably have to be higher to provide adequate ground clearance, particularly at back.

Granted that finding, adding, or building a step may be difficult, but once installed I don't see why PM's lower floor shouldn't be easier to get in and out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have just bought our 2014 Promaster, me being 5'2" and a senior citizen, I am having major trouble getting in and out. Any new suggestions out there?? We bought the collapsible stool, works great, but then how do you get the stool in the van, once you are in? and how do you lower it from in the van, to get out? Need answers soon, a ladder is just not cool.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Luverne makes a rear step that is the waffle pattern. I believe it's about 4' wide. I am using a 4" drop receiver and a 36" step. Installed the PromasterWorld running boards last week. They're awesome. I posted some pics. under running board thread, I think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
SR. Van Lady - How heavy is your step stool? Perhaps you could use something like a grabber stick to pull it up after you and put it back down?
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/17701/Unger-36-Litter-Grabber-Litter-Collection-Tool

Just to let you know, I am 6' 3" and even I find that climb into the driver's seat to be a bit much sometimes, especially when our local winds are trying to close the door for me! This van is tall, regardless of what the sales brochures say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a set of Rough Tread steps and put on driver and passenger sides. Said they were for Promaster van but had to drill holes for install. Looks good and is easy to get in and out. I am a big un weighing in at 400 and they don't bend with me. I googled steps for Promaster and euro camper.com has them also.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought a set of Rough Tread steps and put on driver and passenger sides. Said they were for Promaster van but had to drill holes for install. Looks good and is easy to get in and out. I am a big un weighing in at 400 and they don't bend with me. I googled steps for Promaster and euro camper.com has them also.
Hey BigMan.. how about a link to the steps that you bought..
and pictures of your install, please?
thanks

1 - 20 of 97 Posts