Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have an electronic item mounted on your clipboard, like my Garmin GPS, you may find this helpful.

Reference post: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102105&postcount=6

I decided to connect a second cigarette lighter jack to the one near the cupholder, and use it to plug my GPS cord into.

I decided the best place to locate the second jack was behind the dash in a spot where I could reach it if I needed to. Hoping to open up the dash just once!

The perfect spot for me was behind the cupholders. I removed the triple cupholder tray by just lifting it straight up. Easy.

There are 4 screws that hold the big curved cover in place. Two are under the cupholder tray and two are behind removable covers near the top of the curved cover. Once unscrewed, just pull straight toward the back of the van to remove this panel. There are about 9 plastic clips holding it. Here's what it looks like from the back:

If you reach up behind the cigarette jack, you can push it up thru the hole and unplug it, or just look underneath and unclip and unplug the connector!

Next I cut the black fabric tape wrapped around the plug feed wire back a few inches, and spliced a second cigarette jack on a cord to the wires going to the factory cigarette jack feed. Grey/Red is 12V+ and black is 12V- (ground)

Then I taped the connections back up to cover the blue clamp-on connectors.

Next I replugged the factory cigarette jack back in, and located the new jack at the bottom of the cupholder tray, where I had also routed the GPS adapter from the clipboard area. Then I put the big cover back on by pushing it back into place and replacing the 4 screws.

I wrapped the connection with a foam strip to keep it from rattling around in the dash and put the cupholder back in.

It works well!

GPS goes on and off with the key, just like the cigarette jack on the dash. I can access the connections without taking it all apart, by just lifting out the cupholder.

Hope the pics and details will give you an idea or two!

Disclaimer... this worked for me, but your results may be different. Do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any issues or damage that may occur.

Ed

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks, easy when you have good instructions. My USB cables are now out of sight. Used a Ram Mount for my iPad and while I had the cup holder panel out I decided to pull the radio and clipboard so I could run power to my external GPS (the little red thing on the clipboard is a Dual GPS that links to the iPad via Bluetooth). Also put a mount for my GoPro on the clipboard.

·
Super Moderator
9,053 Posts
Steve please tell us more about your gps system and iPad setup! Is it a wifi only ipad? The gps in the uconnect is a real pos in my opinion and I have several mapping programs on my iPhone and iPad that are far superior!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Steve please tell us more about your gps system and iPad setup! Is it a wifi only ipad?
Yes, my iPad is a wifi only iPad Air. Two reasons I use a standalone GPS receiver - the GPS chips used in your typical mobile device (tablet or phone, any manufacturer) is not that great (slow and less accurate). Second, more importantly (IMHO), if you are using your mobile device for IN CAR navigation you will get much better GPS reception if the receiver has a good look at the satellites - its obviously easier to set a small GPS receiver on the dash that trying to figure out how to mount your mobile device so you can see the screen and it can see the satellites.

The GPS unit I use is manufactured by DUAL - http://gps.dualav.com

It's small (2x2 inches), has a internal battery, and can be charged off the 12v system via a standard mini USB cable. The unit is very accurate (certified for aviation use) and uses a Bluetooth connection to your mobile device. I've tried it with several ios navigation apps without issue.

DUAL also has it own iOS app (not for navigation) that shows the devices battery charge, number of satellites being used, the receivers accuracy and a bunch of other data.

I've used my DUAL for over three years now without any issues and on several occasions it provided reliable location information when a smartphone could not. I'm a fan. The only downside it's ANOTHER device to deal with (and buy) - but for IN VEHICLE use that does not bother me. Outside the vehicle I use the DeLorme inReach Explorer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Steve, how did you pull out the radio and clipboard?
I went to the local auto parts store and asked for a dashboard radio removal tool - basically a small u-shaped probe, I modified a generic tool to fit the U-Connect radio. You insert the tool into the four small holes on the radios face and that releases some clips. Then CAREFULLY pull the radio out. Lots of videos online on how to do this (even without a special tool) - just take it slow and easy.

After the radio is out, you will see two screws holding the clipboard - remove those and the clipboard lifts up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey folks, This thread got me thinking about my GPS but I found another option. I started a new thread called "Nifty GP idea" today. Might be of interest to one or two of you. It was a rare 20 minute, first attempt victory for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts