Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd share my first project. I wanted to get a plug on the outside of the PM to feed an outlet on the inside. Eventually this will power 120V items inside, but for now it provides an easy way to get some work light inside the van without leaving a door open (and forgetting to remove the wire before slamming the door shut!)

I decided to attach a 1/8" aluminum plate to the rear metal skirt under the bumper, then attaching an aluminum outdoor AC box to it with a special covered AC plug. Underneath, I found a rubber cover that was in the perfect spot to get the wire from the outside box to inside. It's right above my planned location for the box outside.

The box and associated "plumbing"

In place under the bumper. The "plug plate" is made by Leviton, about $15

Stainless steel screws hole the box and plate to the van "skirt". Picture taken from on the ground. Standing up, the plug is visible but not very noticeable.

The inside box is temporary until I decide where it will permanently go and if I need to provide other outlets in the van.

Certainly not brain surgery but I thought it might give others and idea or two.

Design Parameters:
- I didn't want to cut into the body
- Many spots are good, but would end up in the way of the wide-opening doors
- I wanted it in the back, not on the side. In my first van, a 1972 Dodge Tradesman, I did a lot of camping. I often forgot to unplug, and with the connector on the back of the van, the extension cord just unplugged itself as I drove away, completely forgetting to detach! No damage to van, but I did lose a lot of cords! Decided that the back was a good place for the AC plug on my new PM. :)

Wire is 12/3 wet location rubber covered cord, and is encased in plastic electrical fittings until it gets inside the van.

Ed

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could always build a little magnetic reed switch into the plug and the enclosure. Wire it up to either a buzzer or led mounted on the drivers side of the dash and fed with ignition power.

This way you'll get notified if something is still plugged in when the ignition is turned on.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I just used one of these

I drilled a hole in the plastic bumper and routed a 14/3 SE cord through the trailer wire opening that is conveniently located next to it. From there it was a simple job to connect the other end of the cord to a GFI receptacle inside the van and then further down the line to a DP-DT switch connected to my inverter on one side and shore power on the other. The advantage is the connector on the bumper is the same color and basically impossible to see unless you know it's there. It works perfectly and under $15!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KOV,

That looks good! Looks like an easy way to get it done. I've been looking for a 20A version but hard to find.

catalin,

Last night I thought about adding this,

I'm putting in the DC supply anyway, so this may be worth adding.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
This is great information folks, thanks so much. I tried to do a search on "shore power" and read for 2 hours and still didn't find what I was looking for. I need to refine my search criteria I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts