Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum. Not much discussion about anyone getting something like a Honda Eu2000i portable generator.

I was thinking about plugging a cargo tray into the hitch at the back of the van. If I built a box, or chained and locked a small Honda to the tray, I could plug in a short cord to feed the van AC for camping excursions only. The other side of the tray could carry a few 5 gallon water tanks for balance.

Even without the tray idea, the Honda is small enough to transport near the rear door and put outside when in use.

On a day to day basis I don't need AC, but it would be nice when I plan an overnighter or two. My van is not designed for long camping trips, but some short overnighters would be fun!

A generator would provide enough AC for the often-discussed microwave, a nice fridge/freezer, a toaster, fan, etc. etc. (use your imagination...) The Honda 2000W version is quiet and runs for quite a while on a tank of gas. It would also charge the house battery while running.

Lots more power than the single AGM I have in the back.

Thoughts and insights are welcomed,

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
I have the Honda and used it until I got my solar up and working. No problems with it just another thing to drag along with you and take care of.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a Yamaha EF2000i for racetrack use, which is an inverter generator comparable to the Honda EU2000i.

The topic of portable generators comes up a lot in motorcycle roadracing internet forums. You want either the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators - take your pick, both are good, both are quiet, and several sizes are available. They are not cheap. You can get a cheaper generator ... but you are taking your chances and your neighbors will not be happy (noise).

A friend of mine went through about three or four cheap generators and I saw the frustration. Generator not wanting to start, constantly fouling spark plugs, being annoyingly noisy, etc. The best one - probably not from his point of view though: they started up the generator in the morning to run the coffee maker while I was still in my tent. It puttered away for several minutes, then it went put-put-put-put-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-knock-knock-knock-KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK-KLUNK!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Been looking and learning on inverter suitcase generators for a long while.

Doing the I-80/90 toll road hop from Gary through Cleveland I've often __envied__ folks sitting on the edges of rest stops with the Eu-2000's chained to the hitch/tailgate puttering away overnight during -10 or -20ºF & 15-35mph winds weather. Usually it's a RV delivery tow vehicle dead-heading back to Indiana but I've seen freight expediters doing it too. Warm cab, lights, cooking, entertainment.. electric blanket... engine block heater... while preserving the engine start battery. With it at some safe distance from the vehicle doing the siphon style fuel tank cap hose to large fuel would prevent surprise fuelings.

Remember they still make low rumbling vibrations galore that would transmit through the hitch, nest it in foam or suspend the unit by rubber or elastic cords or lower it to the ground would reduce that, have it anchored so it won't creep along the ground from vibrations, and at some locations loosely over-boxing it w/ plywood to deflect remaining sound upward helps in crowded areas - the over-box housing would help in rain or snow events too w/ a quickie lid.

Ground-fault protection would be wise as would some type of tamper alarm - I doubt there is a bigger 'steal me' flag in existence than a new Honda Eu2000 :cool:

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2000 watts is a stretch for running an AC
Usually the start up current when the AC cycles will trip the genny breaker
I'm thinking about a portable 5000 BTU AC, so I could put it between the driver/pass seats
and hose out the pass window.

Some have had issues with the 1000W Honda, but the 2000W might work OK. I've noticed a few suggestions about adding a second start capacitor to the AC... worth exploring.

Ed

·
Registered
130 Posts
That would probably work, then the question is will 5000 btu be enough.

Would be great if there was a way to add a electric motor to the Promaster ac compressor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts