Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was talking to a buddy of mine about my promaster who told me that his friend has one and is not satisfied... i asked him why, and he told me that after 8x,xxx miles his transmission blew. My question here is, do any of you have a promaster with some high milage and how is it? any issues? transmission problems?? etc

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is guy here with 115000 miles

Only one guy has reported any transmission problem and it was a flex plate broken. I think he drove for FedEx

One year on the forums and only one is pretty good. Look at other car forums. Tons of problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,053 Posts
A friend of a friend said???? I think you should do a little factual research on your own. Signing up here is an excellent start - welcome!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Maybe? but? Transmissions just don't go out unless abused/lots of miles etc.. These transmissions are upgraded for these vans seems to be fairly stout for daily duty.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Maybe? but? Transmissions just don't go out unless abused/lots of miles etc.. These transmissions are upgraded for these vans seems to be fairly stout for daily duty.
Doesn't there have to be a limit to how much load any given transmission can handle? I see overloading as a form of "abuse".

Plus there can be design issues that also cause problems. My Honda minivan with 5-speed auto was recalled to improve lubrication because there were too many failures with these autos until upgraded. Even so, I don't tow at all with my Odyssey for fear of damaging the transmission. The 3500 pound tow rating means little to me.

The ProMaster auto's origins date back to much smaller and lighter vehicles which also had much less engine power. No doubt they have been upgraded for the PM, but can it last at 11,500 pounds the same as in a Caravan weighing under 5,000 pounds?

I'm not saying it's not good enough, just that upgrades have limits. Whether we are there yet with PM only time will tell.

One final though: These guys who drive 100,000 miles per year mostly on highway are not representative of transmission stress. Cruising 100,000 miles on highway is not as tough as 100,000 miles of stop and go traffic. If there are going to be a lot of premature failures I wouldn't expect them for a few years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another reason for choosing the diesel engine option. It should have a stronger transmission. But do not know for sure.
Would be nice to have more technical information on both transmissions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chrysler builds really good Trans's according to other publications I have read for the Ram Pick up's. I would have to assume long term, the trans in the PM gas will be absolutely up to the high mileage task. No manufacture has 0 failures, sure a couple will occur but my guess majority will be problem free. The Diesel's trans is a Manual trans, no planetary gears, no torque converter. The robotic direct shifting is simple in operation and has been used in many parts of the world for commercial vehicles for many years with millions of miles and very reliable. Current 18 Wheeler semi's with Automatic transmissions rolling down the highways at 80,000lbs used this exact type of robotic trans. Very strong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend of a friend said???? I think you should do a little factual research on your own. Signing up here is an excellent start - welcome!

thank you for your welcome, and i do extensive research before i type something on the forums and before i purchase a vehicle. Im coming from a line of sprinter vans, and a 2012 nissan nv... The sprinters, at least in my case were nothing but problems and "cel" lights every 2-3 weeks, thousands of dollars in the mechanic and many hours of my own working on it. Surprisingly enough, the 2012 nissan has over 9x,xxx miles and still on original breaks without a single issue "knock on wood" my promaster is about to break 21,xxx miles so I just wanted some input on the truck, I don't do any heavy hauling. My "friend of a friend" did do heavy hauling as he was doing extensive construction. On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the PM except for the seats, but for work, I'm very happy with it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts