Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of the campgrounds the smallest amp is 30 amp.....I have an adaptive for the extension cord to plug into the 30 amp shore power.....question will that be ok to power only 5500 btu air conditioner????.....will the port plug be adequate????

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
You are fused? If so you don’t care if it’s 200 amps, you will just draw what the A/C needs. Plug in.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are fused? If so you don’t care if it’s 200 amps, you will just draw what the A/C needs. Plug in.
probably need to add TRC shocksheild GFCI....protected in-line tri-cord set with 3 outlets....2 feet 15 amp .....yellow......would this do the job?????

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,

A5000 BTU room AC only draws about 5 amps when running.
https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Air-Conditioning/Window-Mounted-AC/FFRA0511R1/

So, an extension cord rated at 15 or 20 amps should be fine.

The GFCI does not provide any overcurrent (short circuit) protection -- it just protects people against a ground fault in system. It measures ingoing and outgoing current and shuts the circuit down if the ingoing exceeds the outgoing by more than a few milliamps -- the idea being that a person touching something that is hot because of a ground fault is conducting the missing current to ground and being electrocuted. So, its good to have, but it does not protect against the case where there is a short of the hot wire to ground which might draw enough current to overheat the extension cord and cause a fire.

The RV park or campground 30 amp power pedestal is likely fused to 30 amps, so a short circuit that draws more than 30 would trip that fuse or breaker.

Most of the power pedestals that have a 30 amp outlet also have a 15 amp 120 VAC outlet, so you could just plug into that one.
It should be plenty to power a 5500 BTU AC.

Gary

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi,

A5000 BTU room AC only draws about 5 amps when running.
https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Air-Conditioning/Window-Mounted-AC/FFRA0511R1/

So, an extension cord rated at 15 or 20 amps should be fine.

The GFCI does not provide any overcurrent (short circuit) protection -- it just protects people against a ground fault in system. It measures ingoing and outgoing current and shuts the circuit down if the ingoing exceeds the outgoing by more than a few milliamps -- the idea being that a person touching something that is hot because of a ground fault is conducting the missing current to ground and being electrocuted. So, its good to have, but it does not protect against the case where there is a short of the hot wire to ground which might draw enough current to overheat the extension cord and cause a fire.

The RV park or campground 30 amp power pedestal is likely fused to 30 amps, so a short circuit that draws more than 30 would trip that fuse or breaker.

Most of the power pedestals that have a 30 amp outlet also have a 15 amp 120 VAC outlet, so you could just plug into that one.
It should be plenty to power a 5500 BTU AC.

Gary
I bought the ge 5500 btu 150 sq. ft 115 volt
window air conditioner.....should be about the same...l_owes exclusive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts