Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Gas 136wb hightop.

So we pull up into road construction the other day, and the flagman stops us for one lane traffic while we wait for the "pace car". We were the first in line. Other cars begin to pull up behind, so while sitting there in park with the engine running, I tapped the brakes gently to flash my brake lights at the people coming up from the rear, rather than turn my emergency flashers on. (which many are doing here now after a terrible accident where someone plowed into cars stopped for road construction)

When we went to proceed, the shifter is locked in park. Despite my efforts, including stepping on the brake extra hard, it stayed locked in park. After waving the traffic behind me around, I surmised that I may as well shut off the vehicle and restart, since in park, I can't roll it off to the side anyway, and if restart is unsuccessful, a tow truck is inevitable.

A restart WAS successful, into drive it went, and we drove normally the rest of the way back to the shop, and no issues like this since, in two weeks of normal service work in the van. The only thing I did NOT do while trying to shift out of park to drive that day, was to put my toe UNDER the brake pedal and pull UP, and I have no idea why that might have helped anyway.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a shift interlock switch on those. I believe it’s controlled by the transmission control module. (TCM) It may be starting to fail. Or it may have just been a freak glitch. Promasters tend to do that occasionally.

·
Registered
538 Posts
"Occasional freak glitch" is my PMs middle name. Its even on the title!

Seems like once in a while something odd happens and often you can't make it happen again if you try.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have not had this happen again since.

Thanks to all for the replies, I assumed that the "lock" was a mechanical, not electrical, interlock to the brake pedal.

Will update if it happens again.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I was rear ended, my dash lights lit up like a christmas tree and no doubt my ABS and other systems were messed up. I had to pull the interlock cover and push the button to get her out of park and into drive. No doubt I should have had it towed from the accident site, but I was determined to drive that crumpled heap home.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I did a quick check and didn't see it mentioned in the owners manual.
I think it's a good to know item.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts