Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happen to notice fresh gas fumes in the cab. And the engine lite has now turned on. Eek Any ideas out there? 5600 miles Changed oil friday. Had vents open on occasion. Installed locking gas cap 2 weeks ago, maybe it leaks now. Had closed the vents and less fume but engine lite still on. Switched back to original gas cap. Please help

·
Registered
473 Posts
The gas cap is part of the emissions system... if it is not tight or vents improperly it will set a code. I would not change the cap.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gas smell, fill up issues related?

I had that gas smell too a couple times after or around fill up time but not enough to figure out the common circumstances or the cause. Have not smelled it in a long time. My guess it is something to do with the vapor recovery systems, or other modern clean air systems. I think these PM's have a pretty delicate balance when it comes to pressure in the fuel tank and the ambient temperature/fuel temp differential. I think the fuel smell and the occasional fill up issues are part of that same delicate balance. I had the smell once or twice and my van seemed to not take on a full fill up at the pump once or twice, but the other 95% of the time it has been flawless in those regards so I consider it a non issue now. I agree with others that the gas cap is an important item in this system. I would recommend that if one needs the locking cap, they have the auto parts store pressure test the original one and the replacement and be certain they have the same characteristics. In Ohio, they will also test your gas cap for you at the emissions testing stations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts